Hello anyone that cares about pre-builts, I have a crappy HP laptop that I've been wanting to offload for a while now, and i started it up today just to find that it is not going to the main windows screen. 

The model is the infamous HP Notebook - 15-ba079dx (Touch) (ENERGY STAR), and the problem comes with the hard drive. I did a HP System diagnosis, cause i was desperate, and the only thing they came up with was that it is a hard drive failure. Now keep in mind, i could go through and find the file that causes the problem, yet i have about 1000 gb of files, so i choose not to, since it would take ages. Now, i did play steam games on that pc a while back, and i did update it to the Windows Update May 2019, so does anyone have an idea of what might be causing this, and would the seller take it back, considering i have proof of purchase on a card?

Thanks for any and all help LTT gang

Try not to drop my hopes like Linus does with workbench's :)

You literally answered your own question while you asked it.....

I did a HP System diagnosis, cause i was desperate, and the only thing they came up with was that it is a hard drive failure.

You probably need to replace the hard drive with a new one and reinstall Windows.

Sorry, I know that sucks but mechanical drives are prone to failure.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

36 minutes ago, killian.mcmahon said:

Hello anyone that cares about pre-builts, I have a crappy HP laptop that I've been wanting to offload for a while now, and i started it up today just to find that it is not going to the main windows screen. 

The model is the infamous HP Notebook - 15-ba079dx (Touch) (ENERGY STAR), and the problem comes with the hard drive. I did a HP System diagnosis, cause i was desperate, and the only thing they came up with was that it is a hard drive failure. Now keep in mind, i could go through and find the file that causes the problem, yet i have about 1000 gb of files, so i choose not to, since it would take ages. Now, i did play steam games on that pc a while back, and i did update it to the Windows Update May 2019, so does anyone have an idea of what might be causing this, and would the seller take it back, considering i have proof of purchase on a card?

Thanks for any and all help LTT gang

Try not to drop my hopes like Linus does with workbench's :)

a friend of mine had the same laptop with the same issue. it was a hard drive failure. i replaced the drive for him and it worked fine afterwords.

you can pull the drive out, plug it into a working pc with a sata to usb cable and run crystal disk info to check the drive if you want, but without even doing that i can tell you theres a 99% chance you have to replace the drive

The Beast:

i9 9900k (5.1Ghz all cores)
2080ti FE
32gb 2x16 trident z royal 3200c14
xi hero mobo
evga 1300 80+ gold
2x 1tb 970 pro
1tb 860 evo
6tb wd red
view 71 case

Custom loop (cpu & gpu)
420 & 360mm rads, ek water blocks.
asus PG279Q 27in 1440p 144hz ips gsync monitor

K70 mk2 k/b, G502 mouse, hyper x cloud revolver s headset.

(FOR SALE)

Sager NP8372

i7 7820hk, GTX 1070, 32gb ram, 17.3 in G sync display at 90hz. 500gb 960 evo. less than 1in thick.

Trident Z rgb 2x16 3200c14

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1066259-trident-z-rgb-2x16-3200c14-fs/