1903 - VM keeps locking up

Ashleyyyy
Go to solution Solved by scottyseng,
2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

@scottyseng no, virtualbox. 

Ah, good luck finding a fix. At least your VM starts up (Mine hangs at the windows logo on boot. lol).

Microsoft did good with this update.

So i updated my VM to 1903, and it was fine yesterday. i started it a few minutes ago because i need to do some stuff in Word and it kept locking up. 

i mean that Word freezes, and the start button still becomes blue when you mouse over it but clicking it does nothing. 

i can revert it back to 1809 with a snapshot but i don't want to because it takes forever to update on my pretty weak laptop, so that would be another 2 hours of time wasted... 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

@scottyseng no, virtualbox. 

Ah, good luck finding a fix. At least your VM starts up (Mine hangs at the windows logo on boot. lol).

Just now, scottyseng said:

i'll revert to before the update then. 

1 minute ago, scottyseng said:

exactly why i run it in a VM... snapshots lol. 

She/Her

1 hour ago, firelighter487 said:

So i updated my VM to 1903, and it was fine yesterday. i started it a few minutes ago because i need to do some stuff in Word and it kept locking up. 

i mean that Word freezes, and the start button still becomes blue when you mouse over it but clicking it does nothing. 

i can revert it back to 1809 with a snapshot but i don't want to because it takes forever to update on my pretty weak laptop, so that would be another 2 hours of time wasted... 

Sounds like explorer freezes. I bet if you do Ctrl+Alt+Esc, Task manager will open, and you can restart explorer.exe from there.

If that doesn't help, kill sihost.exe

They are number of reasons why explorer may freeze, all depending on what exactly you do.A simple right-click may load a program dll for a menu entry and that has a bug with the latest version of Windows, and gets stuck, and takes down the whole file explorer with it. Just an example of an actual case that can happen.

57 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Sounds like explorer freezes. I bet if you do Ctrl+Alt+Esc, Task manager will open, and you can restart explorer.exe from there.

If that doesn't help, kill sihost.exe

They are number of reasons why explorer may freeze, all depending on what exactly you do.

i can't test that, i already reverted it back to the snapshot i had....

She/Her