Remote Wake on Lan

alpacino2368

I have a desktop PC that I also frequently use as a remote media server. When on my local network I utilize Wake On Lan functionality to wake the computer from sleep. However, I desire this functionality remotely as well.

In order to do this I have already set up a static IP address with my IP provider, but, where I am stuck, is how to send the message. My router does not directly support wake on lan so I cannot ping the router to ping the computer. My alternative is trying to use a port forwarding application on a rooted old android phone, but this is not something I have set up before... only seen done. 

Can anyone point me to some resources that may help me setup Port forwarding, so I can send a wake on lan packet from my phone over the internet to an old phone on my local network that can then push the packet to my sleeping desktop PC. 

Thanks!

17 minutes ago, alpacino2368 said:

I have a desktop PC that I also frequently use as a remote media server. When on my local network I utilize Wake On Lan functionality to wake the computer from sleep. However, I desire this functionality remotely as well.

In order to do this I have already set up a static IP address with my IP provider, but, where I am stuck, is how to send the message. My router does not directly support wake on lan so I cannot ping the router to ping the computer. My alternative is trying to use a port forwarding application on a rooted old android phone, but this is not something I have set up before... only seen done. 

Can anyone point me to some resources that may help me setup Port forwarding, so I can send a wake on lan packet from my phone over the internet to an old phone on my local network that can then push the packet to my sleeping desktop PC. 

Thanks!

Hello, 

I have a few questions before I give you advice on this subject. 

1. What is the make and model of your router?

2. Do you know if your router supports port forwarding to a broadcast address? If WOL works internally it will work externally outside your network as well, as long as you can forward UDP port to a broadcast address.

3. Does your router support VPN server? This could be a alternative to using an internal phone you can VPN into your network then using your phone can push the WOL packet as you would have direct access to your internal network.

I would like to explore direct vs using a second phone.

Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.3Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3400Mhz 16-20-20-38 |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2145Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | 
XSPC EX 360mm | Corsair XC7 RGB CPU WB | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless 18,000DPI | Acer 32" 4K 60Hz HDR600 Cert. ET322QK CBMIIPZX |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

PC Parts Picker Link to Build

Network

Netgear LBR20 LTE Router | Verizon Unlimited Prepaid Hotspot Plan

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

Rasberry Pi 4 Running Pihole

Linksys Velop 3 Mesh Wifi AP's

18 minutes ago, ddennis002 said:

Hello, 

I have a few questions before I give you advice on this subject. 

1. What is the make and model of your router?

2. Do you know if your router supports port forwarding to a broadcast address? If WOL works internally it will work externally outside your network as well, as long as you can forward UDP port to a broadcast address.

3. Does your router support VPN server? This could be a alternative to using an internal phone you can VPN into your network then using your phone can push the WOL packet as you would have direct access to your internal network.

I would like to explore direct vs using a second phone.

Hi thanks for taking the time to help!

The router is an D Link DIR 822.

Looking at the spec page (http://support.dlink.ca/ProductInfo.aspx?m=DIR-822) I cannot tell if it supports port forwarding to a broadcast address. I believe I tried something similar to this before and it didn't work because after a certain duration of time the router would drop the PC's IP from its memory or something. Networking is not my strongest field of tech.

I do believe it supports VPN servers, again see the spec sheet. This is something I have no background in though. I do have PIA VPN on that PC but that is for other purposes.

2 minutes ago, alpacino2368 said:

Looking at the spec page (http://support.dlink.ca/ProductInfo.aspx?m=DIR-822) I cannot tell if it supports port forwarding to a broadcast address. I believe I tried something similar to this before and it didn't work because after a certain duration of time the router would drop the PC's IP from its memory or something. Networking is not my strongest field of tech.

I do believe it supports VPN servers, again see the spec sheet. This is something I have no background in though. I do have PIA VPN on that PC but that is for other purposes.

Let me take a look and see if i cannot find the gui for this router and ill get back to you with some options.

Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.3Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3400Mhz 16-20-20-38 |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2145Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | 
XSPC EX 360mm | Corsair XC7 RGB CPU WB | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless 18,000DPI | Acer 32" 4K 60Hz HDR600 Cert. ET322QK CBMIIPZX |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

Network

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

41 minutes ago, alpacino2368 said:

Okay so do you have a static IP setup on the machine you want to turn on? If not setup a static address on the NIC.

I couldn't find enough documentation to determine if the WAN side will drop a WOL packet. But we can try to set it up anyway and see if it works.

Determine the Port number the app on your phone is using to send the packet should be 7 or 9 UDP

So on the machine you want to wake in your firewall open UDP port 7 or 9. For testing purposes you can disable to firewall to see if it will work and tackle the firewall rules after this is the best approach.

Use this video to setup port fowarding 

Name it whatever you like I like to use Proto-P#-Application as my naming scheme, IP address will be the static IP you setup for the machine, Select UDP proto. Internal and external port 7 or 9 and set for always. Apply.

Once this is complete. If you have cellular data you can try to test it out. If it doesn't work we can explore different options.

DMZ would be the next thing to try as it is easy to configure may not work if WAN port blocks WOL.

Next would be to setup VPN Server on the router, and configure the client on your phone. This isn't super difficult but I will probably need some screen caps of your VPN section in your router GUI as they are all different. Some use OpenVPN others L2TP/IPsec. This method will for sure work since your phone would receive a internal IP address from your router just like if you were connecting to wifi at home.

Very last option if it is supported would be to flash a custom firmware on the router like DD-WRT ect. It shouldn't come to this but would be a last resort besides doing a SSH into a inside device such as your old phone at that point it would come down to finding an app that can take care of that for you.

Internet Connection

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

Network

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

https://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/wake-on-lan-setting-a-static-arp-entry-for-wake-on-wan

https://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/woli

I use their WOL GUI program to turn on my PC from my server when I am not home.  But they say it can work over the internet.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>