4 stereo inputs in 1 output

Sam Hardy

Hello,

I need basically my computer, kodi box(movies and videos) and alexa(music) on the same set of speakers all connected by a cable. I have a set of powered desktop speakers but i am wanting to upgrade them to a surround sound setup in the future the full 7.1/5.1 What is the best way to merge these to the main speakers so in the future the surround sound works as well. I am wanting a kinda cheap solution and I don't want to just plug them both into my PC because the point of doing this so everything can be stand alone so it will need to be a hardware solution. I want a extra one in case of a new audio device. Every device has a 3.5mm AUX output.

2 minutes ago, Sam Hardy said:

Hello,

I need basically my computer, kodi box(movies and videos) and alexa(music) on the same set of speakers all connected by a cable. I have a set of powered desktop speakers but i am wanting to upgrade them to a surround sound setup in the future the full 7.1/5.1 What is the best way to merge these to the main speakers so in the future the surround sound works as well. I am wanting a kinda cheap solution and I don't want to just plug them both into my PC because the point of doing this so everything can be stand alone so it will need to be a hardware solution. I want a extra one in case of a new audio device. Every device has a 3.5mm AUX output.

for 2.1 sound you could just by getting a relatively cheap audio mixer.

for 7.1 i'm not so sure, audio switches and mixers exist for this I'm sure, but I can't imaging they are cheap.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

What is the expected result here? Does more than one source need to play through the speakers at any given time? Or just switching between sources to one endpoint? If it’s the later than you just need a receiver (most 7.1 receivers should handle this task if they have line level outputs) or if you’re short on cash just a little analog av source switch.

for 2.1 sound you could just by getting a relatively cheap audio mixer.

for 7.1 i'm not so sure, audio switches and mixers exist for this I'm sure, but I can't imaging they are cheap.

There are audio mixers that can handle 7.1, I use them for work, but you’re looking at well over $10k, probably not the best solution for a home setup. Even for 2.1 mixing those signals gets pricey because of your channel count.

The better question here is if this stuff is all playing at the same endpoint why isn’t it all coming from your rig? Run Kodi and Amazon on PC, connect PC to TV and speaker, easy.

4 hours ago, firereverie said:

The better question here is if this stuff is all playing at the same endpoint why isn’t it all coming from your rig? Run Kodi and Amazon on PC, connect PC to TV and speaker, easy.

I was going to do that but I have a projector it requires my room to be very dark. I got some home automation to turn off my light when KODI is playing and to turn the speakers on but my PC has lights that can't be turned off in there without sleeping it or shuting down so I got a old PC to run just KODI . The amazon alexa I mainly want the voice commands its a lot better then Cortana and I can use the other features better like setting timers it means i can play music without the PC having to be turned on.

6 hours ago, Sam Hardy said:

Hello,

If you go full 7.1/5.1 then you'll most likely have a receiver which will have all the inputs on it, such as the back of my denon x8500h has 6 sets of analogue in, then a few opticals. You wont need a switch when you get the 7.1/5.1 unless you go for a cheaper computer set with only a few inputs.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)