Is my system stable?

Ryzen 5 2400G

ASRock B450M HDV motherboard

8 GB G. Skill DDR 3200 mhz RAM (could not get it to run faster than 3166 mhz)

Gigabyte RX 570 4 gb

240 GB SSD

500 GB HDD

Hi everyone,

I posted yesterday about stability issues with 'realbench' Well, yesterday I put everything in the UEFI back to bone stock and it STILL detected instabilities after 5-10 seconds. I simply could not get it to run that particular stress test for longer than a few seconds before stopping so I gave up on it. I don't know what else I can do to get realbench to run...

After spending hours playing with RAM and CPU overclock settings and charting Cinebench scores, I settled with 3.8 ghz @ 1.25v for the CPU and a 3166 mhz frequency for my RAM (XMP preset). 3.9 ghz worked when I had my 2400 mhz RAM but I kept experiencing freezes with this faster 3166 mhz RAM. I also downloaded and ran 'MemTester' and it ran 4 passes with 0 errors, so the new RAM 'looks' to be okay. I downloaded AIDA 64 because I read that it performs a more 'real-world' stress test, I've used Prime 95 and it's outright scary how hot it gets everything. Anyways, I ran it overnight for 8 hours and amazingly it was still running strong when I woke up. Temps were around 60 degrees Celsius, which was surprising because I have the stock Wraith CPU cooler.

I am still baffled why I cannot get realbench to run without failing, but do you think I'm good to go as far as keeping everything where it is at? The graphics card is running at stock settings because I was experiencing freezes with VR games while it was overclocked to 1400 mhz and I'm trying to isolate the cause. I didn't get a chance to try any games yet with these new settings, so I guess that may be the real test.

3 minutes ago, Sushimus said:

Thanks, I really don't like Prime95 though because it absolutely pegs the CPU and heats components up a lot more than I'd like. I would probably easily hit 90 degrees C on that test.

11 minutes ago, Sushimus said:

Fair enough, Different boop!

LOL...

Thanks but Cinebench is what I used to benchmark the different settings. I wish there was a way to continuously run it for a few hours though.

21 minutes ago, Shnitzil said:

The wreath spyre is a good cpu cooler it should at least keep it at 50c

I could probably lower the voltage a bit more, but my computer is located in a small bedroom and the door was shut all night. I'm sure with the AC running and the door open, it would be closer to 50c

Realbench stresses both CPU and GPU, which is why I find it a better overall system stability test than p95.

If you are stable in CPU only stress tests (or in GPU only stress tests), and Realbench fails, it could mean your PSU isn't providing clean or enough power for both your CPU and GPU at full load, causing instability.

What is your PSU?

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

13 minutes ago, Plutosaurus said:

Realbench stresses both CPU and GPU, which is why I find it a better overall system stability test than p95.

If you are stable in CPU only stress tests (or in GPU only stress tests), and Realbench fails, it could mean your PSU isn't providing clean or enough power for both your CPU and GPU at full load, causing instability.

What is your PSU?

I believe it is a evga 500W PS. I don't know though because realbench ran fine when I was using my old 2400mhz RAM.

1 minute ago, steelo said:

I believe it is a evga 500W PS. I don't know though because realbench ran fine when I was using my old 2400mhz RAM.

Ryzen isn't known for amazing IMC.

Did you try at 2933?

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

4 minutes ago, Plutosaurus said:

Ryzen isn't known for amazing IMC.

Did you try at 2933?

Yes, I tried virtually every frequency - even the default UEFI settings for everything and realbench won't run longer than a few seconds before it detects an instability. I haven't touched RAM voltage settings yet though. The RAM is rated up to 3200 mhz but the system will not post, so right now it's sitting at 3166mhz. I have a pretty low-end MB so I wonder if that's what is causing the issues. As long as I am able to run my normal VR games without freezes, I'm happy with it though.

Yes, I tried virtually every frequency - even the default UEFI settings for everything. I haven't touched RAM voltage settings yet though.

What is your memory voltage at?

On my Ryzen board, default ram voltage was 1.2.

Try 1.35v and see if that helps

3 minutes ago, Plutosaurus said:

What is your memory voltage at?

On my Ryzen board, default ram voltage was 1.2.

Try 1.35v and see if that helps

I (think) it's at 1.35v right now by default.

I (think) it's at 1.35v by default. I haven't touched RAM voltages at all yet.

What about SoC voltage?

5 minutes ago, Plutosaurus said:

What about SoC voltage?

I believe it's at 1.25v right now @ 3.8ghz because it was running way hot at the default 1.45v. Even at stock voltage, it still wouldn't run longer than 5-10 seconds. I haven't played with voltage offsets yet because I really don't fully understand it, so it's set to 'auto'.

7 minutes ago, steelo said:

I believe it's at 1.25v right now because it was running way hot at the default 1.45v. Even at stock voltage, it still wouldn't run longer than 5-10 seconds. I haven't played with voltage offsets yet because I really don't understand it.

Dunno man, I'm not super Ryzen knowledgeable, perhaps someone else will come along and give some other help.

Have you used thaiphoon/Ryzen memory calculator to identify/dial in your memory timings?

2 minutes ago, Plutosaurus said:

Dunno man, I'm not super Ryzen knowledgeable, perhaps someone else will come along and give some other help.

Have you used thaiphoon/Ryzen memory calculator to identify/dial in your memory timings?

I appreciate your help, man. Where can I find the Ryzen memory calculator? I've just been using the built in XMP profiles since I am not knowledgeable about the memory timings.

3 minutes ago, steelo said:

I appreciate your help, man. Where can I find the Ryzen memory calculator? I've just been using the built in XMP profiles since I am not knowledgeable about the memory timings.

Np

YouTube "how to use Ryzen memory calculator"

There's many videos

First hit:

23 minutes ago, Plutosaurus said:

Np

YouTube "how to use Ryzen memory calculator"

There's many videos

First hit:

Ah, gotcha. I wasnt sure if it was something only found on LTT. Thanks

In similar thought to PSU issues, the HDV is certainly not a recommended board for OCing. The VRMs aren't really up to the task. Your issue could lie in VRM power distribution capabilities on the board.

15 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

In similar thought to PSU issues, the HDV is certainly not a recommended board for OCing. The VRMs aren't really up to the task. Your issue could lie in VRM power distribution capabilities on the board.

I figured that...this is a lesson learned not to cheap out on my MB and PS. I worry HOW stable the system is if I cannot get realbench to run for more than 5 seconds.

I did successfully run AIDA64 overnight with CPU loads ranging from 90-95% for 8 hours and no crashes or freezing up, so maybe it's stable? 

20 minutes ago, steelo said:

I figured that...this is a lesson learned not to cheap out on my MB and PS. I worry HOW stable the system is if I cannot get realbench to run for more than 5 seconds.

I did successfully run AIDA64 overnight with CPU loads ranging from 90-95% for 8 hours and no crashes or freezing up, so maybe it's stable? 

Have you tried the bench with all gear at stock settings?

The good news is that with the new gen coming out, you have a valid excuse to go in on a new board and cpu. The 2400G is wasted on your build, since you have discrete graphics. For a similar price you could have a 2600 and for cheaper, a 1600 with more cores.

I too cheaped out on PSU. I've had good enough luck so far, but I know that's going to be my first upgrade. Can't risk new gear frying. If you do want an upgrade look to the corsair CX series. Not much more expensive, but more reliable.

11 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

Have you tried the bench with all gear at stock settings?

The good news is that with the new gen coming out, you have a valid excuse to go in on a new board and cpu. The 2400G is wasted on your build, since you have discrete graphics. For a similar price you could have a 2600 and for cheaper, a 1600 with more cores.

I too cheaped out on PSU. I've had good enough luck so far, but I know that's going to be my first upgrade. Can't risk new gear frying. If you do want an upgrade look to the corsair CX series. Not much more expensive, but more reliable.

Well, initially I was only planning on using the integrated graphics of the 2400g. Later, I became interested in trying Oculus so I purchased a RX 570 after the fact. You're right though, had I known that I would be buying a dedicated graphics card, I would have gone with a 2600 or a 2600X instead.

Yes, I have tried bone stock settings for everything on the UEFI and realbench will still give me instability errors after a few seconds with this new RAM. I'm tempted to put the old 2400mhz ram in it again just to see if I have the same problem.

6 minutes ago, steelo said:

I'm tempted to put the old 2400mhz ram in it again just to see if I have the same problem.

That's easy trouble shooting! If you can narrow it down to a few issues, that makes life easier.

Have you noticed any issues in gameplay? Or is it just this one bench? (Because that's really not the end of the world.)

5 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

That's easy trouble shooting! If you can narrow it down to a few issues, that makes life easier.

Have you noticed any issues in gameplay? Or is it just this one bench? (Because that's really not the end of the world.)

I haven't had a chance to try gaming yet and 'realbench' is the only stress test that I'm having stability issues with. It's just very strange that I was able to pass it, even with an OC before with my 2400 RAM. I just did a quick google search for "instability detected realbench" and apparently, I'm far from alone in this being the only test other people can't seem to pass.

Should I feel confident that AIDA64 ran for 8 hours without freezing? 

36 minutes ago, steelo said:

I haven't had a chance to try gaming yet and 'realbench' is the only stress test that I'm having stability issues with. It's just very strange that I was able to pass it, even with an OC before with my 2400 RAM. I just did a quick google search for "instability detected realbench" and apparently, I'm far from alone in this being the only test other people can't seem to pass.

Should I feel confident that AIDA64 ran for 8 hours without freezing? 

I'd just run what you intend the PC to run (Games, productivity software, etc.)... If it works, it works. If not, you've got a few ideas for a fix.