When viewing Recording window with bluetooth earbuds mic enabled, I can not hear any sound. Open

I first noticed this issue from the Discord voice and video settings section. If I had the microphone from my bluetooth earbuds enabled then I could not hear anything, but if I had my default laptop mic enabled I could hear things fine. Additionally, when I joined a voice channel on Discord with the bluetooth earbuds mic enabled I could not hear anything from other applications.

Initially I thought this was a Discord issue, but I just now found that the same thing happens if I am viewing the "Recording" window in sound settings. If the bluetooth mic is enabled, I can't hear audio from anything; and as soon as I disable it audio starts playing fine again.

After a brief search online I couldn't find anyone else having the issue, so decided to come here instead. If anyone has some insight that may be useful it would be greatly appreciated. Needless to say, this issue has been a pain in the ass.

If you're curious, I've had the issue occur on AirPods, and I'm using Windows 10 Home x64 (1809).As far as I know all of my audio and bluetooth drivers are up to date.

I have not personally tested with any other bluetooth headsets although I did find someone who was having the same issue with Beats Solo3 Headphones on Windows 10 Pro x64 (1803).