Switching RGB ring on 120mm AER 2 fans to the other side

FilipReff

Hi,

I really like the Aer rgb fans, and wanted to buy 9 of them for my new build in Lian Li Dynamic 011 case. However I am having second thought since officially the rgb ring can be visible only from one side. I want to use 3 of them as the intake on the bottom of the case, which would make the aer fans pointless.

Anyways i did some digging and found the video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8d1GMk2Bsg ), where some guy managed to switch the ring to the other side. Many people asked him how he managed to do that, but he didnt provide any answers sadly.

So I came here for some community input on how he manged to do it. My guess is, he had to break off the 4 arms which connect the fan motor to the frame and glue or solder it back from the oder side. But i find this extremly risky since he would have to be godly precise.

Any ideas?

15 hours ago, FilipReff said:

Hi,

I really like the Aer rgb fans, and wanted to buy 9 of them for my new build in Lian Li Dynamic 011 case. However I am having second thought since officially the rgb ring can be visible only from one side. I want to use 3 of them as the intake on the bottom of the case, which would make the aer fans pointless.

Anyways i did some digging and found the video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8d1GMk2Bsg ), where some guy managed to switch the ring to the other side. Many people asked him how he managed to do that, but he didnt provide any answers sadly.

So I came here for some community input on how he manged to do it. My guess is, he had to break off the 4 arms which connect the fan motor to the frame and glue or solder it back from the oder side. But i find this extremly risky since he would have to be godly precise.

Any ideas?

You'd need to take off the RGB ring which I assume is clipped into place and reconfigure the wiring a little since the RGB lines are build into the casing of the fan, but should be simple enough yo tuck off to the side when installing the rings onto the back. 

Image result for AER 2 fans rgb mod

6 hours ago, W-L said:

You'd need to take off the RGB ring which I assume is clipped into place and reconfigure the wiring a little since the RGB lines are build into the casing of the fan, but should be simple enough yo tuck off to the side when installing the rings onto the back. 

I dont think he did it this way. As you can see in the video, the frame of the fan is not turned upside down, Only thing that seams to be turned is the fan motor and blades itself.

9 hours ago, FilipReff said:

I dont think he did it this way. As you can see in the video, the frame of the fan is not turned upside down, Only thing that seams to be turned is the fan motor and blades itself.

You cannot do that as the frame and motor are molded from one piece, he took off the RGB lighting frame and reoriented it onto the rear of the fan for it to have that effect. 

49 minutes ago, W-L said:

You cannot do that as the frame and motor are molded from one piece, he took off the RGB lighting frame and reoriented it onto the rear of the fan for it to have that effect. 

Yeah, i know its molded, but it just doesnt add up. The RGB is instaled inside the frame and coverd by that milky plastick ring, he couldnt just take it out. Also if you look close in the video, you can see his frame is not upside down as you suggest it should be. If it was flipped, the 4 corners where you mount the screws would be flat like they are at the back side of the fan, but they seem to me they have this "bump" like they have on the front side of the fan. Its really puzzling.

2 hours ago, FilipReff said:

Yeah, i know its molded, but it just doesnt add up. The RGB is instaled inside the frame and coverd by that milky plastick ring, he couldnt just take it out. Also if you look close in the video, you can see his frame is not upside down as you suggest it should be. If it was flipped, the 4 corners where you mount the screws would be flat like they are at the back side of the fan, but they seem to me they have this "bump" like they have on the front side of the fan. Its really puzzling.

I’m not saying the frame is upside down the light ring itself has removed and installed/stuck on the back side and it is protruding past the back X shape of the motor mount on the back.

This is not standard and something that was don as a custom modification. 

13 hours ago, W-L said:

I’m not saying the frame is upside down the light ring itself has removed and installed/stuck on the back side and it is protruding past the back X shape of the motor mount on the back.

This is not standard and something that was don as a custom modification. 

Well in order to install the ring on the back and mount the fan in the case, the frame of the fan would be upside down. Which is not if you inspect the video closly. As i said, the rgb light them selfs are glued to the fan frame from the inside under the "see-through"  plastic ring, there is no space on the back of the fan to actually stick them to and no way to stick the plastic ring on the top of it, plus he would have to mess with the wiring too.

yes, obviously its custom modification. Thats the point of this post. To figure out how he managed to do it.

5 hours ago, FilipReff said:

Well in order to install the ring on the back and mount the fan in the case, the frame of the fan would be upside down. Which is not if you inspect the video closly. As i said, the rgb light them selfs are glued to the fan frame from the inside under the "see-through"  plastic ring, there is no space on the back of the fan to actually stick them to and no way to stick the plastic ring on the top of it, plus he would have to mess with the wiring too.

yes, obviously its custom modification. Thats the point of this post. To figure out how he managed to do it.

Not sure what isn’t clear at this point, as said he removed the ring and put it onto the other side of the fan itself, and with that allowing it to protrude off the rear section not requiring a dedicated spot for the ring. It’s fairly clear In the video that it is on the rear of the fan via a custom modification. 

On 4/28/2019 at 11:46 AM, FilipReff said:

Hi,

Any ideas?

Personally, I'd just buy fans that do what you want. Those AER fans are just noisy rubbish, and CAM is an abomination. They don't even look that good. You're far better off staying away from anything NZXT, regarding cooling. Their stuff is over priced rubbish.