Xiaomi bootloader unlock

Hello there!

I wanted to unlock the bootloader of my Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (the global version, aka AI dual camera, the more confusing your naming scheme is, the better, right?). Not necessarily to flash a different ROM, but according to a tutorial I found, it is possible to enable Camera2 API, which is, for some reason, disabled on this device, despite being enabled on most other, often even cheaper devices. Doing so requires an unlocked bootloader. I've done everything according to this tutorial (https://c.mi.com/thread-1635834-1-1.html), up until the step where you connect the phone to your PC. Unfortunately, the program was unable to detect my phone. The tutorial says that if this happens, you need to install the USB driver. So I've done everything according to this other tutorial (https://c.mi.com/thread-1625831-1-0.html), again, up until the step where you connect the phone to your PC. However, computer management doesn't detect it either. There should be an Android device under the other devices tab, but for some reason, all it can see is an unknown device, which is probably my old webcam, for which I don't have a driver either. Updating its driver with the file I got from the Xiaomi website doesn't work, obviously (but I tried anyway, just in case). 

Also, the MI unlock app has a driver install feature, which apparently does nothing. When I try to use it, it prompts me to connect the device. If I connect it while it's on, it says something, but closes immediately, giving me no time to read it, so I've made a screenshot before it did. It asks you to switch your device to fastboot mode and then connect it to your PC, which makes sense since the tutorial on their website requires this as well. Unsurprisingly, doing so does nothing and the app is still unable to detect the phone. 

Seriously, as much as I like Xiaomi, F them for this!

Any advice on how to make it work? 

I always had problems with unlocking the bootloader on Xiaomi phones. Fastboot, ADB, etc. was also always a pain when i was on Windows.

I remember reading somewhere online that you needed an USB 2.0 port for some reason, which i don't have on my Desktop, so i unlocked my RN5 on my ThinkPad on an USB 2.0 port

Try using an USB 2.0 port, and running that driver exe thingi that's in the Mi Unlock folder with Admin rights also resolves that issue sometimes.

Yeah, it worked through a USB 2.0 port, probably because the phone doesn't support USB 3.0. Furthermore, it wouldn't work through the front ports, so I had to use the rear ones. (which is not unusual, I couldn't even install Windows through them)