After removing Optane, my HDD is only visible in BIOS, can't access it anymore

Yesterday I got a Samsung EVO 970 and I played around with it for some bit. A while later, I wanted to change the M2 slot so I swapped it with my Intel Optane, which I used to boost a 2TB HDD (not my primary drive). A couple of minutes later I realised that the drive was gone, and Optane was now showing up in Disk Management. I tried creating a partition from it (which was probably extremly stupid) and then, reinstalling the software, but I kept getting the same message (No compatible disk). I even tried reinstalling Windows, but to no avail. My 2TB drive is no longer accesible.

I'm thinking that this happend because I took out the Optane module and put it into another M2 slot. I tried putting it back where it was before, but I guess I did it too late, because earlier I created a partition from the module.

I have an option in my BIOS to Reset to Non-Optane (my mobo is a Z370-H) but it also says that my 2TB drive is detected as 1 of the 2 disks paired (the other being Optane) and that if I reset it, all data will be lost. Unfortunately I cannot do that, as I have a ton of work files on that drive. I tried Hiren's CD but no software from there works. Nothing detects the HDD anymore, besides the BIOS. If I go through with the Reset to Non-Optane from the BIOS, will I be able to recover my data or am I completely screwed?

Thank you!

well you see optane makes a raid config so if you remove it fucks it up so i suggest putting it back grab the data you need then formating the drive 

if you look in your bios you should see insted of achi it should be intel rst 

Data should still be there but I wouldnt know how to access it, when a drive is paired with Optane it greats a pool of storage, you remove part of that pool you end up where you are now.

40 minutes ago, PwJ said:
Yesterday I got a Samsung EVO 970 and I played around with it for some bit. A while later, I wanted to change the M2 slot so I swapped it with my Intel Optane, which I used to boost a 2TB HDD (not my primary drive). A couple of minutes later I realised that the drive was gone, and Optane was now showing up in Disk Management. I tried creating a partition from it (which was probably extremly stupid) and then, reinstalling the software, but I kept getting the same message (No compatible disk). I even tried reinstalling Windows, but to no avail. My 2TB drive is no longer accesible.

I'm thinking that this happend because I took out the Optane module and put it into another M2 slot. I tried putting it back where it was before, but I guess I did it too late, because earlier I created a partition from the module.

I have an option in my BIOS to Reset to Non-Optane (my mobo is a Z370-H) but it also says that my 2TB drive is detected as 1 of the 2 disks paired (the other being Optane) and that if I reset it, all data will be lost. Unfortunately I cannot do that, as I have a ton of work files on that drive. I tried Hiren's CD but no software from there works. Nothing detects the HDD anymore, besides the BIOS. If I go through with the Reset to Non-Optane from the BIOS, will I be able to recover my data or am I completely screwed?

Thank you!

like @savagepain said, when using optane it effectively creates a raid array and uses the optane drive as a cache to accelerate the HDD.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

6 hours ago, savagepain said:

well you see optane makes a raid config so if you remove it fucks it up so i suggest putting it back grab the data you need then formating the drive 

I tried putting it back. It didnt't work. It said that there's no compatible disk, then I formated the optane drive. Am I totally screwed? How can I recover the data?

@PwJ indeed it looks like your screwed you can still pull data from it tho 

@PwJ use a data recovery tool to take the data you need then format the drive then reinstall windows without the optane module and set the drive mode insted of intel rst set it to achi 

• 2 years later...

Optane work like fusion drive from apple. I used optane tools for combine data together after my system crash.