SD Card Dead?

Kingslayer Kyle
Go to solution Solved by dDave64,

Does your memory card reader support SDXC? Being a 128GB the card you got is likely SDXC. An SDXC card may work in a regular SD (or SDHC) slot but it may not work fully or may experience issues. You need to be sure you have an interface that can handle SDXC.

What file system are you using? That could also be the limiting factor. Example, if you're using FAT32, you cannot store a file larger than 4GB.

Hey guys,

Just bought a 128gb SanDisk microSD card.

It's for my nintendo switch.

When I first plugged it into my PC I wanted to do a read/write to make sure that the SD card was working all good.

However, I've noticed for some reason the program H2TestW stops writing to my drive and I get an error after a few minutes.

My question is:

My memory card reader is quite old.

Is it possible that I need to just get a new reader that supports SDXC? I thought all SD cards worked in SD readers. As did I when I plugged it in, as it appeared to be working until I tried to write big'ish files to it (3GB+)

Thanks in advance for any help :)

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | GPU: GTX 1080Ti | Case: Corsair 750D Airflow | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Formula VI | RAM: 16GB Vengeance Pro | PSU: Corsair AX860

SSD/HDD(s): SAMSUNG 850 EVO 120GB, SAMSUNG PM830 256GB, SEAGATE 6TB | Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc AD-5280S CB-PLUS

24 minutes ago, kyle_987 said:

Hey guys,

Just bought a 128gb SanDisk microSD card.

It's for my nintendo switch.

When I first plugged it into my PC I wanted to do a read/write to make sure that the SD card was working all good.

However, I've noticed for some reason the program H2TestW stops writing to my drive and I get an error after a few minutes.

My question is:

My memory card reader is quite old.

Is it possible that I need to just get a new reader that supports SDXC? I thought all SD cards worked in SD readers. As did I when I plugged it in, as it appeared to be working until I tried to write big'ish files to it (3GB+)

Thanks in advance for any help :)

do a error check in file explorer to make sure its not corrupted or broke

Does your memory card reader support SDXC? Being a 128GB the card you got is likely SDXC. An SDXC card may work in a regular SD (or SDHC) slot but it may not work fully or may experience issues. You need to be sure you have an interface that can handle SDXC.

What file system are you using? That could also be the limiting factor. Example, if you're using FAT32, you cannot store a file larger than 4GB.