AT2020 - Constant white noise?

Vespergaea

Made the switch from a Blue Yeti to an AT2020 after a number of people recommended I do so. After about a week or so of figuring out the hardware side of it (I'm far from the best at this sort of thing), I got it up and running, and decided to do a test recording (OBS) to see how it sounded. There's this constant white noise/hissing sound that only gets louder or softer when I adjust the slider labeled "microphone" (see attached). It's quietest at 0, and loudest at 100.

As far as setup goes, I have an AT2020 going into a USB phantom power supply, and connected from the power supply to my PC via an XLR to USB cable. I have my suspicions about that part, but I figured it'd be cheaper to rig the AT2020 I already bought that way than to buy an AT2020USB and have an extra $90 microphone laying around.

I turned off my noise gate and recorded myself reading Hamlet (original, I know) as a sample. It's worth noting that the white noise isn't just an OBS thing: playing the microphone back through my speakers in real time via windows produces the same hissing. My computer's fans aren't the quietest in the world, but I doubt they're the culprit.

I feel like I've looked everywhere and tried everything available to me, and have found very little. Help would be appreciated, even if that help is telling me I'm screwed and need to buy the AT2020USB.

microphone slider.PNG

2 hours ago, Vespergaea said:

Made the switch from a Blue Yeti to an AT2020 after a number of people recommended I do so. After about a week or so of figuring out the hardware side of it (I'm far from the best at this sort of thing), I got it up and running, and decided to do a test recording (OBS) to see how it sounded. There's this constant white noise/hissing sound that only gets louder or softer when I adjust the slider labeled "microphone" (see attached). It's quietest at 0, and loudest at 100.

As far as setup goes, I have an AT2020 going into a USB phantom power supply, and connected from the power supply to my PC via an XLR to USB cable. I have my suspicions about that part, but I figured it'd be cheaper to rig the AT2020 I already bought that way than to buy an AT2020USB and have an extra $90 microphone laying around.

I turned off my noise gate and recorded myself reading Hamlet (original, I know) as a sample. It's worth noting that the white noise isn't just an OBS thing: playing the microphone back through my speakers in real time via windows produces the same hissing. My computer's fans aren't the quietest in the world, but I doubt they're the culprit.

I feel like I've looked everywhere and tried everything available to me, and have found very little. Help would be appreciated, even if that help is telling me I'm screwed and need to buy the AT2020USB.

microphone slider.PNG

Holy hell i love your voice. anyway. Check that your pc is grounded, and plug it into a different ground loop (generally houses have 2 ground loops, 1st floor and the ground floor)

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

Could be a few things. 

Has your Phantom Power supply got a Ground Lift switch? You could try that. 

I would get a decent preamp, looking at your gain structure, you don't seem to have one. So it's using the motherboard's built in DAC / AMP and it just isn't up to snuff. The signal to noise ratio is awful, and that would be down to the quality of the Amp. 

A cheap mixer would resolve that, and it would also take out the USB phantom power supply from the chain (A mixer would have it's own) 

• 1 year later...
I have this same problem. 
the microphone worked perfectly for a long time, clean sound
but this same hissing started, 
I already tested grounding and continues, 
what can it be? thank you if you read this
(note: the problem comes and goes, 
sometimes I turn on the microphone 
well before recording because after a while it stops

image.png.c0f61cf244b93a9acc2ffbef482826b0.png

Abrir no Google Tradutor