GTX 1660 or RX 590?

Go to solution Solved by RuberoDX,

Its an obvious choice! 1660 is for your build for me xD since its not Ryzen because if it is then go with 590. Also FreeSync can now work with G-sync! So yeah go with 1660 it has better performance than the 590 overall :) just get some more RAM then youre on your way xD 

Hello, I've been watching LTT and Techquickie videos for a long time. This is my first post here. I want to get a new PC.

Here is the build:

CPU - i5 9400f

Motherboard - ASRock B365 Pro4

RAM - 8GB (3200MHz)

HDD - 1 TB Meachanical drive (SSD maybe later)

PSU - 500 watt

Monitor - HP 22f

GPU - Sapphire Nitro RX 590 or Colorful 1660 (both have same price in my country; 1660 a tiny bit less)

Here are my questions:

1) Is this build ok? I mean would you change anything within approximately same price point?

2) Which GPU would be better? My monitor budget isn't much. I can't get a G sync monitor. The monitor I've chosen have free sync. 

Please share your knowledge and help me to make a decision. Thanks in advance :) 

You can use freesync on the 1660 as well.

The 1660 should perform better in games than the 590, so I'd get that

You don't need 3200MHz RAM for intel. If lower speeds are cheaper get those. Also make sure it's 2x4gb and not 1 x 8 gb.

Just now, _d0nut said:

You don't need 3200MHz RAM for intel. If lower speeds are cheaper get those. Also make sure it's 2x4gb and not 1 x 8 gb.

you can use gsync though :)

4 minutes ago, Sakib Hasan said:

Hello, I've been watching LTT and Techquickie videos for a long time. This is my first post here. I want to get a new PC.

Here is the build:

CPU - i5 9400f

Motherboard - ASRock B365 Pro4

RAM - 8GB (3200MHz)

HDD - 1 TB Meachanical drive (SSD maybe later)

PSU - 500 watt

Monitor - HP 22f

GPU - Sapphire Nitro RX 590 or Colorful 1660 (both have same price in my country; 1660 a tiny bit less)

Here are my questions:

1) Is this build ok? I mean would you change anything within approximately same price point?

2) Which GPU would be better? My monitor budget isn't much. I can't get a G sync monitor. The monitor I've chosen have free sync. 

Please share your knowledge and help me to make a decision. Thanks in advance :)

get 2666mhz ram, 590 because they are very close in preformance but you get 8GB vram

8700K @ 5.2ghz 1.29V, 4x8 Rev.E @ 4040 13-20-20-39 1.7V.

Its an obvious choice! 1660 is for your build for me xD since its not Ryzen because if it is then go with 590. Also FreeSync can now work with G-sync! So yeah go with 1660 it has better performance than the 590 overall :) just get some more RAM then youre on your way xD 

4 hours ago, alatron978 said:

get 2666mhz ram, 590 because they are very close in preformance but you get 8GB vram

The extra VRAM doesn't really make a difference tbh, you're not gonna max out 6GB on a 1660. 1660 performs slightly better than 590 as well, and is slightly cheaper for OP. Agree with the RAM thing(unless price difference is negligible)

4 hours ago, alatron978 said:

you can use gsync though :)

You can enable freesync on Nvidia GPUs which is good enough, since gsync monitors are super overpriced. 

4 hours ago, RuberoDX said:

just get some more RAM then youre on your way xD 

Agree on the RAM bit, would recommend 16GB more than 8GB at this calibre of build.

10 hours ago, _d0nut said:

Thank you so much! Really appreciate your thoughts :)

10 hours ago, RuberoDX said:

Thank you so much! It was very helpful :)

11 hours ago, RuberoDX said:

You can utilize nVidia with an AMD chip and vice verse. That's not why. 

Really the 1660 and 590 are on par. If you can get a 1660Ti, I'd spring for it.

That said whichever is the better price is what I'd go with.

On 4/13/2019 at 6:10 PM, _d0nut said:

The extra VRAM doesn't really make a difference tbh, you're not gonna max out 6GB on a 1660. 1660 performs slightly better than 590 as well, and is slightly cheaper for OP. Agree with the RAM thing(unless price difference is negligible)

You can enable freesync on Nvidia GPUs which is good enough, since gsync monitors are super overpriced. 

Agree on the RAM bit, would recommend 16GB more than 8GB at this calibre of build.

I didn't know Nvidia adaptive sync works with Display Port only. Within my budget I'm not finding a monitor with both freesync and DP :( it either has DP or freesync ?

Its a silly question but I have to ask, can a DP to HDMI converter help in this situation?! 

18 hours ago, trevb0t said:

You can utilize nVidia with an AMD chip and vice verse. That's not why. 

Really the 1660 and 590 are on par. If you can get a 1660Ti, I'd spring for it.

That said whichever is the better price is what I'd go with.

In my region: (converted from my currency)

RX 590 - 290$

GTX 1660 - 285$

GTX 1660Ti - 375$

But in another shop I've found

GTX 1660 @ 240$ made by Chinese brand colorful. 

On 4/13/2019 at 1:45 PM, RuberoDX said:

Can you suggest a budget friendly monitor with freesync + Display Port? Nvidia adaptive sync won't work without DP. I can't seem to find a monitor with both without crossing the budget. If I can't find any, will the rx590 be a better choice? 

19 hours ago, Sakib Hasan said:

In my region: (converted from my currency)

RX 590 - 290$

GTX 1660 - 285$

GTX 1660Ti - 375$

But in another shop I've found

What's the exact model?

Can you suggest a budget friendly monitor with freesync + Display Port? Nvidia adaptive sync won't work without DP. I can't seem to find a monitor with both without crossing the budget. If I can't find any, will the rx590 be a better choice? 

If your monitor is 144Hz, no. If not, yes

as reviewed by techyescity, its not a bad brand, and it is top selling brand in china?