M.2 or SSD

Bush Badger
Go to solution Solved by jerubedo,
13 minutes ago, Mr Magic Man said:

Hi, anyone have any experience with the Crucial 1TB M.2 CT1000P1SSD8? It seems too good to be true when the EVO 860 1TB i was going to get its around $220 CAD but this little M.2 is only $139 CAD. I mean its almost half the price for the same amount of storage. I am trying to buy storage for my gaming rig. Any opinions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Aorus Gaming 7

RTX 2080 TI

16GB RAM (Planning to upgrade to 32)

It's a good drive. The reason it's cheaper is because it's QLC. What that means for you is that it has less of an endurance rating (so it will die sooner) than other drives. Now for your average consumer it won't matter much. The endurance rating for the P1 1TB is 200TBW, which means that it would support being written to for 200 TB before you get into the territory of "it might die." To put that in perspective, even if you wrote 100 GB a day, it would still last for 5 and a half years.  It's also a much cheaper manufacturing process, which is why it's a lot cheaper.

The 860 has a better endurance rating of 600 TBW. To put that in perspective, 100 GB a day would last for 17 years.

At the end of the day, I'd say it'd be fine to go with the P1 in a gaming rig.

Hi, anyone have any experience with the Crucial 1TB M.2 CT1000P1SSD8? It seems too good to be true when the EVO 860 1TB i was going to get its around $220 CAD but this little M.2 is only $139 CAD. I mean its almost half the price for the same amount of storage. I am trying to buy storage for my gaming rig. Any opinions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Aorus Gaming 7

RTX 2080 TI

13 minutes ago, Mr Magic Man said:

Aorus Gaming 7

RTX 2080 TI

It's a good drive. The reason it's cheaper is because it's QLC. What that means for you is that it has less of an endurance rating (so it will die sooner) than other drives. Now for your average consumer it won't matter much. The endurance rating for the P1 1TB is 200TBW, which means that it would support being written to for 200 TB before you get into the territory of "it might die." To put that in perspective, even if you wrote 100 GB a day, it would still last for 5 and a half years.  It's also a much cheaper manufacturing process, which is why it's a lot cheaper.

The 860 has a better endurance rating of 600 TBW. To put that in perspective, 100 GB a day would last for 17 years.

At the end of the day, I'd say it'd be fine to go with the P1 in a gaming rig.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13512/the-crucial-p1-1tb-ssd-review

Overall the Crucial P1 is primarily aimed at consumer machines, and that definitely seems like the segment it's best suited for. A typical consumer use case would involve most of the large data on the drive coming from things like movies and video games that are rarely modified, as opposed to workstation workloads that generate massive files that constantly change. This is helpful to the P1 because it reduces the actual amount of writing the drive needs to do, though it does mean that the drive's variable-size SLC cache could end up quite small. On balance, even that small cache should be adequate given the limited amount of data that does change with most consumer workloads; though to be sure, overflowing the SLC cache is something that would be far more noticeable on the P1 than most TLC-based SSDs. But it is still not something that will happen to most consumers often enough to worry about.

Basically, you're probably not going to run into any issues. The only reason why the SSD is cheaper is likely because it's using NAND flash that makes it cheaper (i.e., QLC vs. TLC)

3 hours ago, Wufflez said:

Could you show us links? Your phrasing is a bit confusing.

Sorry I was in a hurry, let me fix it. 

Crucial 1TB M.2 CT1000P1SSD8     $140CAD
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07J2Q4SWZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

Samsung 860 EVO $220 CAD

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B078DPCY3T/ref=ox_sc_act_title_9?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

I mean same storage but the price is like $80 cheaper not to mention isnt M.2 suppose to be faster than an SSD? (educate me if im wrong Im not good with storage)

3 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13512/the-crucial-p1-1tb-ssd-review

Basically, you're probably not going to run into any issues. The only reason why the SSD is cheaper is likely because it's using NAND flash that makes it cheaper (i.e., QLC vs. TLC)

oh wait but in this case the M.2 is cheaper than the SSD

2 minutes ago, Mr Magic Man said:

isnt M.2 suppose to be faster than an SSD

No. To clarify, they are BOTH SSDs. One of them is using the M.2 interface and the other is using the SATA interface. M.2 can leverage SATA OR NVME. The P1 is a SATA M.2 Drive, not NVME, so it is not any faster.

3 hours ago, jerubedo said:

No. To clarify, they are BOTH SSDs. One of them is using the M.2 interface and the other is using the SATA interface. M.2 can leverage SATA OR NVME. The P1 is a SATA M.2 Drive, not NVME, so it is not any faster.

learned something new today, thank you for the info!

Just now, jerubedo said:

The drive OP listed, the CT1000P1SSD8, is an NVMe drive.

Just now, Mr Magic Man said:

oh wait but in this case the M.2 is cheaper than the SSD

They're both SSDs:

Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD

Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" SATA III 1TB Internal SSD

1 minute ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

The drive OP listed, the CT1000P1SSD8, is an NVMe drive.

Oops, you are correct there. It is NVME, so it should indeed be faster. But the reason it's cheaper is still what I said above in my first post.

3 hours ago, jerubedo said:

Oops, you are correct there. It is NVME, so it should indeed be faster. But the reason it's cheaper is still what I said above in my first post.

oh good! so I was right about the speed. so it boils down to durability right?

also @Mira Yurizaki thanks for clarifying! 

Just now, Mr Magic Man said:

oh good! so I was right about the speed. so it boils down to durability right?

Yep. I'd honestly go with the P1 for gaming.