Need help with routers

Bush Badger
Go to solution Solved by Lurick,
3 minutes ago, Mr Magic Man said:

So happy to hear from you man. Anything you recommend? 2 in 1 or anything? Let's pretend price isn't na issue for now

Unfortunately, after a little digging, it doesn't look like Rogers will let you bring your own modem, which I think is stupid, but it also seems to vary by region making things harder to nail down. I would call them up and ask if something like the SB8200 would be supported but it's up to them.

Hi, I am not very familiar with routers but I am about to get a 1 gigabit connection to my house for the first time. I am with Roger's so they gave me a Hitron Coda 4582, I am worried that it might not be good enough for gaming(?) so I am thinking about getting an Asus ROG AC5300, will it make a giant difference and can someone tell me how the AC5300 is superior? 

Thanks in advance guys. 

Damn, 1000 Gigabit... (Pretty sure you mean 1Gigabit)

But anyway, the ASUS router probably has a far faster CPU, a ton of antennas (Though I recommend separate WiFi access points if you really need to cover a larger area), and ASUS's pretty nice router software.

Though how many devices do you plan to have? and do you use the network heavily? You shouldn't really need QoS (traffic management) for that connection speed for a home.

Hey @scottyseng thnaks for the reply, also I do have quite a few devices. Some phones a tablet or 2 and a laptop besides my desktop. Also if I get that AC5300 it replaces the Hitron completely right? 

Edit

I forgot to mention I game really heavily 

2 minutes ago, Mr Magic Man said:

Hey @scottyseng thnaks for the reply, also I do have quite a few devices. Some phones a tablet or 2 and a laptop besides my desktop. Also if I get that AC5300 it replaces the Hitron completely right? 

Negative, the Hitron is a DOCSIS 3.1 modem as well and you need that for your internet. You'll have to turn off most of the features on it or see if it can just be put into bridge mode if you want to easily use another router. I would suggest perhaps seeing how the Hitron does perform, worst case it's not got a lot of features or doesn't provide you the results you're looking for and you can buy the Asus AC5300, or another router, later on.

Edit:

If you wanted to completely replace it you would need an approved DOCSIS 3.1 modem by your ISP, they usually have a list or will tell you if they support other standalone modems.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

5 minutes ago, Mr Magic Man said:

@Lurick! Long time no talk buddy how are you doing. Also I thought it's just unplug the Hitron and plug in the AC5300 

Been good, how about you?

Unfortunately not unless you buy a separate modem since the AC5300 lacks coax input :(

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Been good, how about you?

Unfortunately not unless you buy a separate modem since the AC5300 lacks coax input :(

So happy to hear from you man. Anything you recommend? 2 in 1 or anything? Let's pretend price isn't na issue for now

3 minutes ago, Mr Magic Man said:

Unfortunately, after a little digging, it doesn't look like Rogers will let you bring your own modem, which I think is stupid, but it also seems to vary by region making things harder to nail down. I would call them up and ask if something like the SB8200 would be supported but it's up to them.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Yeah, as mentioned above, the best case scenario would be to buy your own modem but I doubt they're going to let you do that. You have to put that combo into bridge mode (and hope it does it).

Otherwise other routes:

Ubiquiti Edgerouter 4 and AC-Pros

Wallet no problem:

Ubiquiti Edgerouter Infinity and AC-HDs

Open Source:

Repurpose old PC or get a Netgate router with pFsense (or untangle) on it and use AC Pros with that