Windows Game DVR

Hey guys,

I use windows game dvr to record footage for my youtube channel (gaming) and so i have 2 questions:

1. Will microsoft keep windows game dvr as its the only software that records my footage smoothly for some reason.

2. Linking to the above question, it is smoother. And i've noticed whilst trying to record the desktop with discord open and nothing else, my gpu is sitting at 25% usage and my cpu at 5% meaning that game dvr is using gpu encoding which is odd as it's supposedly not supported by my gpu (specs below). I'm able to record at 1080p at both 30 and 60fps and it looks really good. Does anyone know why windows game dvr can use my gpu for recording but other software can't?

Specs:

Pentium g4560

2x4gb 2400mhz ram

gt 1030 (2gb gddr5)

500 ssd (boot)

1tb 7200rpm hdd (game drive)

240gb ssd (game drive)

640gb 5400rpm hdd (recording drive only)

external 1tb hdd for storing the recordings

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

1. Probably for now. It came with Win10, and has been out maybe for 2 years. They won't kill it as its just built-in feature. Not server based like Skype for example. So it will be available for Win10 lifetime atleast.

2. Recording desktop isn't really anything to brag about. Seriously. And you can do that with other software, even OBS (I've recorded with less specs than what you have). Problem with hardware comes as you are running software which already use hardware, and recording adds to that. Considering that Discord, with just text chat open, uses only minor resources, thats really nothing you should even look at at all.

You have more than one issue hardware wise. GPU is one, but that isn't biggest. Imo neither is CPU. Its your HDD that could cause issues. I think MS DVR must have really low bitrate if you can record without issues to 5400rpm HDD.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

1. Probably for now. It came with Win10, and has been out maybe for 2 years. They won't kill it as its just built-in feature. Not server based like Skype for example. So it will be available for Win10 lifetime atleast.

2. Recording desktop isn't really anything to brag about. Seriously. And you can do that with other software, even OBS (I've recorded with less specs than what you have). Problem with hardware comes as you are running software which already use hardware, and recording adds to that. Considering that Discord, with just text chat open, uses only minor resources, thats really nothing you should even look at at all.

You have more than one issue hardware wise. GPU is one, but that isn't biggest. Imo neither is CPU. Its your HDD that could cause issues. I think MS DVR must have really low bitrate if you can record without issues to 5400rpm HDD.

What would be the issue with the gpu?

3 hours ago, Jacobtechtips? said:

What would be the issue with the gpu?

Lack of VRAM mainly. Meaning that you can't load high details and replay them at the same time.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv