EKWB predator warning!

i might seem dumb but i figured the AIO (360 predator) i bought from ekwb 3 years ago would never need to be opened and cleaned and would be free from corrosion (advertised as all copper parts (and no one else has posted anything about corrosion on this product too)).

well i finally forked out money to have my gpu water cooled and then i noticed there was little water flow in my gpu block. i thought this is probably normal as its my first time water cooling a gpu block, but then i noticed my cpu was hovering around 80-90 degrees on idol, so after opening up my cpu block (took me hours to troubleshoot to this point) i found that there is tones of green gunk in my cpu block!

idk i just thought id warn other people who are still rocking AIO's from ekwb to check for gunk every year or 2 or something

56289388_10213785314374079_1677593897737388032_o.jpg

56457835_10213785313734063_3466029712994729984_o.jpg

56547422_10213785315614110_2110526386425823232_o.jpg

Was your GPU WB copper? Even if it was sometimes just the difference in the copper is enough to start the process of galvanized corrosion. 

Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.3Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3400Mhz 16-20-20-38 |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2145Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | 
XSPC EX 360mm | Corsair XC7 RGB CPU WB | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless 18,000DPI | Acer 32" 4K 60Hz HDR600 Cert. ET322QK CBMIIPZX |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

PC Parts Picker Link to Build

Network

Netgear LBR20 LTE Router | Verizon Unlimited Prepaid Hotspot Plan

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

Rasberry Pi 4 Running Pihole

Linksys Velop 3 Mesh Wifi AP's

That doesn't look like corrosion to me. Looks like bacterial (or similar) gunk.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

2 minutes ago, keskparane said:

That doesn't look like corrosion to me. Looks like bacterial (or similar) gunk.

oh ok. thanks for the reply. i might look into adding something to stop growth. maybe even bleed the whole thing and start with some fresh coolant

7 minutes ago, ddennis002 said:

Was your GPU WB copper? Even if it was sometimes just the difference in the copper is enough to start the process of galvanized corrosion. 

i probably should have said. i literally added the gpu block the other day so i cant be that. and yes its all copper from ekwb

Edited by legendary_yamcha

25 minutes ago, legendary_yamcha said:

oh ok. thanks for the reply. i might look into adding something to stop growth. maybe even bleed the whole thing and start with some fresh coolant

I tried running with just distilled water and quickly noticed some fine tread like buildup on my GPU block. I added some EKWB cryofuel and it has not only stopped the problem from getting worse but also cleaned up the growth that had started.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

1 hour ago, keskparane said:

I tried running with just distilled water and quickly noticed some fine tread like buildup on my GPU block. I added some EKWB cryofuel and it has not only stopped the problem from getting worse but also cleaned up the growth that had started.

i have ordered some new tubing and some cryofuel. hopefully that will do me some good.

Their manual actually tells you to replace the liquid and tubing every 3 years (see tip 3), that's a bit too long for me though. Don't forget the cryofuel needs to be replaced every year, not sure if it's the same with zmt tubing or if they used another liquid originally since that apparently can last 3 years?

The fact that the aio lasted you over 3 years blows my mind though, I bought a predator 360 and the first unit arrived doa, the second and third unit starting leaking after 2 weeks (all revision 1.1 units). After 3 rma's in 2 months, they just gave up and refunded me. 

Spoiler

1333881597_Schermafbeelding2019-04-07om11_12_12.png.0c4d38822ac10b766f5a7ab1e2a09cf3.png

1 hour ago, MkaiL said:

Their manual actually tells you to replace the liquid and tubing every 3 years (see tip 3), that's a bit too long for me though. Don't forget the cryofuel needs to be replaced every year, not sure if it's the same with zmt tubing or if they used another liquid originally since that apparently can last 3 years?

The fact that the aio lasted you over 3 years blows my mind though, I bought a predator 360 and the first unit arrived doa, the second and third unit starting leaking after 2 weeks (all revision 1.1 units). After 3 rma's in 2 months, they just gave up and refunded me. 

Hide contents

1333881597_Schermafbeelding2019-04-07om11_12_12.png.0c4d38822ac10b766f5a7ab1e2a09cf3.png

well i certainly never read any of the manual hahahaha. i have read around that there was a fair few bad units that was sent out. but most was due to a bad o ring from memory.

i feel that my pump had a hard time with that massive blockage that was there for god know how long. and now i question just how much time it has left before it dies.