PC Upgrade

Hi all,

I am going to be upgrading my PC this year, but due to limited funds I am  going to be spreading th cost out by buying components over a few months. Current PC specs:

Intel® Core i5 Quad Core Processor i5-4690 (3.5GHz) 6MB Cache

ASUS® Z97-A: ATX

8 GB KINGSTON HYPER-X FURY DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz

4GB GTX 960

CORSAIR 650W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

In terms of processor I am going to wait until Ryzen 3000 series processors are announced, either to get one of get a 2000 series if the cost goes down.

I am thinking of upgrading the GPU first as this is really due for an update.

I'm looking at either GTX 1660 or 1660ti. I have seen the Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 6GB for £200, but I have also found a deal on the Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Mini 8GB for only £230, is it worth the extra £30, or would I be better off looking for a deal on a 1660ti?

6 minutes ago, DefenderDC100 said:

Hi all,

I am going to be upgrading my PC this year, but due to limited funds I am  going to be spreading th cost out by buying components over a few months. Current PC specs:

Intel® Core i5 Quad Core Processor i5-4690 (3.5GHz) 6MB Cache

ASUS® Z97-A: ATX

8 GB KINGSTON HYPER-X FURY DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz

4GB GTX 960

CORSAIR 650W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

In terms of processor I am going to wait until Ryzen 3000 series processors are announced, either to get one of get a 2000 series if the cost goes down.

I am thinking of upgrading the GPU first as this is really due for an update.

I'm looking at either GTX 1660 or 1660ti. I have seen the Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 6GB for £200, but I have also found a deal on the Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Mini 8GB for only £230, is it worth the extra £30, or would I be better off looking for a deal on a 1660ti?

first of all idk your budget where you live, how much would you spend on some specific items. probably 200usd but i can get a vega with that much money here

You've got 1050ti level performance. That's still just about good enough for 1080p on low, sometimes medium settings. Wait for zen2 and Navi, and upgrade then. Going from the 1050ti to a 1660 isn't worth it to me. If you have to buy now, I'd at least go for vega 56. There's some really killer deals on that thing right now. This sapphire pulse for example, is a real steal:https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/cKhKHx/sapphire-radeon-rx-vega-56-2gb-pulse-video-card-11276-02-40g

And then there's an even cheaper gigabyte model (Although the thermals aren't ideal for anything other than stock speeds so bare that in mind): https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/XRqhP6/gigabyte-radeon-rx-vega-56-8gb-video-card-gv-rxvega56gaming-oc-8gd

Honestly though, I'd wait it out until zen2 and Navi comes along to save the day.

42 minutes ago, Oalei said:

first of all idk your budget where you live, how much would you spend on some specific items. probably 200usd but i can get a vega with that much money here

My overall budget for upgrade is around £600, i'm hoping to keep my PSU to save some money. I live in the UK so PC components tend to me mor expensive :/ I was only looking to spend a max of £250 on a new GPU, given that I need to get a processor, motherboard and RAM as well. The cheapest Vega 56 I can get here is around £260.

33 minutes ago, MeatFeastMan said:

If you have to buy now, I'd at least go for vega 56. There's some really killer deals on that thing right now. This sapphire pulse for example, is a real steal:https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/cKhKHx/sapphire-radeon-rx-vega-56-2gb-pulse-video-card-11276-02-40g

Honestly though, I'd wait it out until zen2 and Navi comes along to save the day.

Those are a little more than I want to spend, as I don't really want to go over £250. Its not urgent that I get a GPU now so I guess I can wait to see what zen2 and Navi can offer :P

10 minutes ago, DefenderDC100 said:

My overall budget for upgrade is around £600, i'm hoping to keep my PSU to save some money. I live in the UK so PC components tend to me mor expensive :/ I was only looking to spend a max of £250 on a new GPU, given that I need to get a processor, motherboard and RAM as well. The cheapest Vega 56 I can get here is around £260.

you dont even know how things are going in SEA, but anyhow. well i found this for pretty much the same cost https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/bfdxFT/msi-radeon-rx-vega-56-8gb-air-boost-video-card-rx-vega-56-air-boost-8g-oc, dont forget get a good psu or decent with more than 550W (except for some PSU, that i dont know and only know Pure Power 11)