What do you think?

Hello guys! :)

how are y'all doing?

I start this topic to ask you a honest opinion on my build...

Sorry no photos for now but they will come once done ;)

Long story short m pc came to be the way it is now starting about a year and a half ago...

I got an Asus Z9PE-D16 off of ebay for about 70€ because socket0 had a few damaged pins (just bent for what I could see in picture and in fact they were totally fixable) board came quick and got to fix the socket...

Couple evenings later once done with the fixing plopped in my E5-2680 (about 100€ also on trusty ebay on auction) and success all working...

It just so happens that a guy I know was upgrading his workstation to LGA2011-3 and v4 xeons so hey 2690v2 for me it's a deal no? :D 250€ for the couple btw!

Found also on ebay a PAIR of HD7990s that were "lightly" (don't know how much I trust that assessment but oh well) used for mining for about 175€ shipped to my door from the US to Italy (that was an expensive shipping btw holy cows it hurt a lot)

So all in:

1. Z9PE-D16 70€
  2. 2x 2690v2 250€
  3. 32GB DDR3 ECC 101€
  4. 2x HD7990 175€
  5. CM MasterBox5 50€ (new)
  6. Nilox 850w 80+ Bronze PSU 60€ (new)

All for a grand total of 706€ (plus or minus don't remember the cents XD )

Cinebench R15 you ask? Well 20 cores and 40 threads at 3GHz do some work you know... 2595pts is a good bit don't you think? :D

This is the only benchmark for now... the cards are still on the way XD

4 minutes ago, Sbu051995 said:

Nilox 850w 80+ Bronze PSU 60€

that concerns me... because i never heared of it before

4 minutes ago, Sbu051995 said:

CM MasterBox5 50€

from my experience it has a hard time with that restrictive front panel, tip: it fits a mb500 front panel, but blocks the front io a little

otherwise looks pretty good tho!

What kind of workloads are you planning to do on this system? all in all it's a very interesting system, well done on snatching the parts, but if you're expecting gaming performance i doubt it's gonna perform well in that regard, not sure.

For workstation workloads it might really shine, and for the price that's pretty damn great.

1 hour ago, Sbu051995 said:

2x HD7990 175€

Those are definitely a steal for 175 Euro.. but you need more than an 850W PSU, way more.. probably 1200W as a minimum.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

4 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

that concerns me... because i never heared of it before

from my experience it has a hard time with that restrictive front panel, tip: it fits a mb500 front panel, but blocks the front io a little

otherwise looks pretty good tho!

Thanks for the aswer mate :)

Well yeah the PSU is really the more sketch part of this but it's actually working wonders for now... probably need a bit more juice with 7990s...

The Masterbox 5 is really not restrictive is wide open with just a mesh grill and dust filter for the whole lenght :)

3 hours ago, _Syn_ said:

What kind of workloads are you planning to do on this system? all in all it's a very interesting system, well done on snatching the parts, but if you're expecting gaming performance i doubt it's gonna perform well in that regard, not sure.

For workstation workloads it might really shine, and for the price that's pretty damn great.

Those are definitely a steal for 175 Euro.. but you need more than an 850W PSU, way more.. probably 1200W as a minimum.

Maybe some little little gaming but mainly workstation duties yes :) a lot of virtualization going on and some 3d stuff :)

And yes I really stole those XD

Next up for this thing is a little something called water :)

2 minutes ago, Sbu051995 said:

The Masterbox 5 is really not restrictive

oh wait, I'm at the lite, not the normal

nevermind then

• 3 weeks later...

Following up on this topic what do you think about 266€ for a pair of blocks just for the cards? I don't know... But they are the only one I could find who could get me one and they are from a chinese combany called Bykski I think... they are nice looking... nickel plated copper and acrylic top...