Which CPU for gaming and streaming

Go to solution Solved by manikyath,
Just now, aljazriznar said:

hmmm, but there is no visually difference in game performance itself between them? can I expect big fps difference?

if you let loose, crank down the graphics options (to make sure you're cpu bound) you'll end up seeing maybe a 5% FPS drop on the 1700x in heavily single core dependant games, but both of them will still perform at a framerate FAR above what you'll prefer playing at.

either that, or the game is hot garbage (special shoutout to shitty:skylines) and performance will suck on both processors either way.

the point being.. they're so close together.. while the difference is measurable, it is too small to have relation to the actual experience playing games.

Hi. So im looking for a CPU and im wondering which is better.

1700x 8 cores or 2600x 6 cores. Thanks for your help!

I'd go fore the 2600x personally, 6 cores should be enough for streaming and the faster single-core performance should compensate for performance hit from streaming

RGB & Fan control ULTIMATE GUIDE !

Just now, Beer_Nontitju said:

I'd go fore the 2600x personally, 6 cores should be enough for streaming and the faster single-core performance should compensate for performance hit from streaming

thanks for the reply, i was confused because some people were telling me the 8 core is better for streming(1700x) but some said that 2600x is faster.

thank u. U think I can stream atleast 1080p 30 fps?

1 minute ago, aljazriznar said:

1080p 30 fps?

I think twithc allows you 720p 60fps maximum for "non-famous people", not sure though. But yeah, it will do just fine

RGB & Fan control ULTIMATE GUIDE !

3 minutes ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

the faster single-core performance

there's VERY few games where you'll notice benefit of the increase in single threaded performance. both have plenty of speed to make games run plenty fast enough for a smooth experience.

1 minute ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

I think twithc allows you 720p 60fps maximum for "non-famous people", not sure though. But yeah, it will do just fine

twitch allows you to do whatever you want, but i think have a "strong, mildly forceful recommendation" of staying below 6Mbps.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

there's VERY few games where you'll notice benefit of the increase in single threaded performance. both have plenty of speed to make games run plenty fast enough for a smooth experience.

okay. 2600x is including cooler whitch one I dont need, the 1700x is just cpu and its 20 bucks less. what do u think?

okay. 2600x is including cooler whitch one I dont need, the 1700x is just cpu and its 20 bucks less. what do u think?

if streaming is your main workload, i'd say 1700x. more cores helps A LOT in making games run smoother when streaming.

You can always stream using shadowplay too if you have nVidia gpu. Its pretty lightweight.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

if streaming is your main workload, i'd say 1700x. more cores helps A LOT in making games run smoother when streaming.

hmmm, but there is no visually difference in game performance itself between them? can I expect big fps difference?

if you let loose, crank down the graphics options (to make sure you're cpu bound) you'll end up seeing maybe a 5% FPS drop on the 1700x in heavily single core dependant games, but both of them will still perform at a framerate FAR above what you'll prefer playing at.

either that, or the game is hot garbage (special shoutout to shitty:skylines) and performance will suck on both processors either way.

the point being.. they're so close together.. while the difference is measurable, it is too small to have relation to the actual experience playing games.

A few notes:

• For cost to performance, the 2600X is only marginally more powerful than the 2600. (Which wouldn't struggle at gaming / streaming either. I game happily on it, and have been playing around with streaming options.) You could potentially utilize the savings better in faster RAM, etc.

• 1700X is at a great price point for what you get right now. It does not include a cooler (or thermal paste, which the coolers include pre-applied), though. So if you need a cooler, that could offset. The stock AMD coolers are pretty damn sufficient if you don't plan any heavy overclocking, which could be a big bonus.

• 3rd gen will be dropping soon, so unless you're in need NOW, the price of the 1700X could be a good indicator as to what the 2700 or 2700X could look like a few months from now. (and the same between the R5 models.) Not guaranteed, just a thought. Frankly, it would still only be a small step up, since the 1700X still performs pretty similarly to the 2700X, but could be worth it. The 2nd gen X models do include coolers as well.

• On the same note: Waiting for, and buying 3rd gen could provide substantial boosts from what we've been hearing about the changes to come and won't require a change of MOBO. Food for thought!

Doubtful, maybe a 3-5 fps difference at max. Neither posted option will stutter more than the other (which is to say almost not at all.) Your GPU will have a larger effect on your framerates than CPU, and either can support a pretty hefty GPU without bottleneck issues. What GPU are you running? How much RAM and at what speed?