A few questions regarding you and Linux

I got some simple questions here regarding the LTT forums interest in Linux. Questions 2 & 3 are for Linux users only to see if there is any varying preference here in the forum regarding distributions and desktop environments. If the answer is "Other" please specify. You can also post the reasons why you prefer certain distributions or desktop environments. Thanks!

Thoroughness rating
#########

I'm interested in switching my laptop from Windows 7 to Ubuntu.

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

I use Debian and Ubuntu on my stream servers, and seedbox.

I dont use a DE/WM on any of them, just terminal.

I find it just awful on my desktops though, so I use Windows on them. Maybe when I finish uni and dont need a good word processor anymore I will use Linux more on my desktops. Oh, and when AMD start to release good drivers for Linux.

I'm interested in switching my laptop from Windows 7 to Ubuntu.

I'd suggest "shopping around". Most Linux distributions are compatible with VMWares VirtualBox. You might need to install the VirtualBox guest-OS drivers, but this way you can test the feel and functions of distributions without having to reinstall your current system.

Thoroughness rating
#########

Android is technically Linux :)

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

Android is technically Linux :)

True dat, but then we'd also have to include all the variable DEs (or shells) from the different manufacturers. That would be an interesting poll in of it self. To see which Android shell and manufacturers the LTT community prefer. Make a similar post in the mobile devices section, why dontcha? ;)

Thoroughness rating
#########

I used Linux for a while (Unbuntu, OpenSUSE, Mint, Fedora, Puppy, Debian) and honestly, it wasn't that bad. KDE or Gnome are probably my favorite desktop interaces. I'm not too fond of Unity, it's still pretty laggy and buggy even though it has a nice aesthetic appeal.

As far as compatibility with hardware and applications, Ubuntu and Fedora are your best bet with Mint not trailing to far behind.

As far as which I loved the most? OpenSUSE by a longshot, but that's not the best for someone starting out with linux. I definitely would recommend Ubuntu or Fedora if you're switching from Windows.

One of the reasons I prefer arch LinuX is that the kernel is very similar to the vanilla kernel, with a few minor patches. Also systemd and dbus are used for all their worth, which is friggin' awesome.

Thoroughness rating
#########

True dat, but then we'd also have to include all the variable DEs (or shells) from the different manufacturers. That would be an interesting poll in of it self. To see which Android shell and manufacturers the LTT community prefer. Make a similar post in the mobile devices section, why dontcha? ;)

Will do :)

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP