PC immediately turns itself off

iamacyborg

Hi,

Left my PC on last night after a Zwift session, came back to it a couple hours later only to find it was off. When I tried to switch it back on it immediately turned itself off. Any idea what I need to look at to try get to the root of the problem?

Specs are:

• Intel i770k CPU
  • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP
  • 500GB 840 Evo SSD
  • 1TB WD Blue HDD
  • MSI Z87-G45
  • 770 GTX (upgraded to 1060 in late '16)
  • Corsair rm750 PSU

You can see what happens in this video

Any help greatly appreciated!

Start with the bare minimum (no gpu, single stick of ram, no drives) and see if it'll POST then.

If it does, you can start adding components back in and see where it craps out.

If not, disconnect everything from the PSU and short the 'power supply on' pin to ground on the 24 pin connector (look up a picture for reference).

If the PSU turns on and it can power some fans, then it is probably good. If not, you need a new power supply.

You could verify this by borrowing a PSU from a different system (possibly from a friend) and see if your system turns on then.

Thanks @That_Dutch_Guy I'm at work atm so can't do those things right now but will do as soon as I'm back home.

I've ordered another PSU from Amazon so I'll be able to easily test that when the new one arrives this evening. Potentially dumb question but can I just reuse the cables that are already connected and plug them straight into the new PSU or worth recabling entirely? I'll definitely be checking that nothing's come loose in the meantime as well.

So with everything removed except a stick of ram and the cpu (and cooler), the same thing happens.

A light turns on the mobo and case, a few fans power on and then everything switches off. 

Just about to test a new PSU but the fact stuff turns on suggests that it's not that. Right ? 

Switched PSU, took out then re plugged in the front panel on button, switched it on and suddenly, lots of smoke. 

Came from whatever is under that red shielding at the top. 

I guess I'm at least a new mobo, cpu and ram in the hole ?

20190312_182616.jpg

20190312_183234.jpg

Under that red shield are the VRMs that power the cpu, so you will definitely need a new motherboard and the chance of the cpu surviving is pretty slim.

Sorry dude, that sucks. 

On the upside, the RAM might still be okay. 

It's shit, but it happens. Motherboard got fried pretty well. 

IMG_20190312_192730.thumb.jpg.4504755849b128eb193c8d6902d0dd2c.jpg

Would I still be able to use the older RAM I have with a newer 8 or 9 series intel cpu and compatible mobo? 

Any chance I can just build a new system and then boot from Windows 10 that's already installed on my SSD? I've got everything backed up to a NAS but would prefer to minimise costs and time to replace as much as possible. 

No, motherboards for 8th and 9th gen only support ddr4.

As far as swapping over the boot drive, Windows has gotten pretty good at tolerating that stuff, you might have to uninstall some drivers, but it should work.