SunFire X4100 HELP!

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to install CentOs 7 into an old server SunFire X4100 but the hard drives can't be detected in the installation of the CentOs7. The official drivers are no more available for free so, I'm looking any third party driver that makes the magic happens.

Server      : SunFire X4100

Firmware : 1.0v

Storage   :  2x Brand     : Fujitsu

Model     : MAY2073RCSUN73G

Interface :  SAS

Capacity : 73GB

SO          :  CentOs 7.6 x64

Kernel    4.20.10

Look for info regarding CentOS 7 and the LSI 1064 SAS controller (this is what the x4100 uses for storage).

Supposedly you have to wait up to 30m for the disks to come online due to a firmware problem.

5 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

You may need to add a sun disk label to the disks through the firmware or disable hardware RAID. 

Thanks for the quick answer, the first option is not possible beacause to do that i need to update my firmware and my company its not willing to pay the price off java support. And i dont find the firmware update files anywhere.

The second option its possible but we need set up a RAID config with those drives for ensurance data safety.

4 minutes ago, agustin.tejero said:

Thanks for the quick answer, the first option is not possible beacause to do that i need to update my firmware and my company its not willing to pay the price off java support. And i dont find the firmware update files anywhere.

The second option its possible but we need set up a RAID config with those drives for ensurance data safety.

You absolutely can do the first thing, you need to do it through the firmware CLI.  I am not 100% sure if it needs to be done on servers of this vintage though, I remember having to do this in the SPARC-Station era though.

You can do redundancy in Linux with software RAID, BTRFS, or ZFS.

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

You absolutely can do the first thing, you need to do it through the firmware CLI.

ok i will try that!

1 minute ago, agustin.tejero said:

ok i will try that!

Supposedly RHEL is more friendly to these systems.  It is cheaper to get generic DELL/HP replacements for the X4100 at that point though.  They can be had for $100-$200 (in USD).

On 2/27/2019 at 11:27 AM, KarathKasun said:

You absolutely can do the first thing, you need to do it through the firmware CLI.  I am not 100% sure if it needs to be done on servers of this vintage though, I remember having to do this in the SPARC-Station era though.

Hi, thank you very much for your advice. I was able to break the RAID of the disks through the CLI and with that I was able to visualize the disks in the installation. But now I have problems with the network, because at the time of the installation of CentOs7 it does not detect any network device and I already tried it with a TL-WN721N tp-link adapter that works well with CentOs7 but does not detect it either. Any suggestions on how to add a network driver that works for me?