240hz with 60hz secondary stuttering

Kenny427

Hello,

When I play a video or anything that moves on my secondary screen, my HZ on my 240hz screen seems to cap at 120hz, it will also stutter so the mouse jumps sometimes and even when I close down the applications I may sometimes need to restart my computer and boot with 1 monitor for it not too lag or stutter. Look at this video, it shows exactly what I mean: 

This is especially annoying when I play FPS games such as CS:GO where I need to restart my rig to not have stutters if I watched a video on secondary screen earlier or something. My PC specs is i9 9900k with RTX 2080, and the 240hz screen is brand new so it shouldnt be because of that. 

Anyone have solutions?

1 minute ago, handymanshandle said:

...what GPU do you own and how are you connecting it to your monitor?

MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio connected 240 hz with DisplayPort and the 60hz with HDMI to DVI.

Just now, Kenny427 said:

MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio connected 240 hz with DisplayPort and the 60hz with HDMI to DVI.

From the looks of it, it seems like Windows is locking vertical sync on the 60Hz monitor and affects your main monitor as a result.

I'm not really sure how I can fix it, but from what I can tell, that might be the issue. Hopefully this helps a little bit.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

6 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

From the looks of it, it seems like Windows is locking vertical sync on the 60Hz monitor and affects your main monitor as a result.

I'm not really sure how I can fix it, but from what I can tell, that might be the issue. Hopefully this helps a little bit.

Yeah it is what I also figured. I had the same issue with 144hz and 60hz, but people said the issue was fine with 240hz with 60hz as it is more compatibile for some reason.

I also have experienced a similar issue where everything would goof up when I added a 1080p 75Hz refresh rate monitor as my main. Turns out my secondary monitor was capable of 75hz as well. Once I changed it to match everything was fine.......not sure why.

Thanks!

Chris R.

1 hour ago, Chris_R. said:

I also have experienced a similar issue where everything would goof up when I added a 1080p 75Hz refresh rate monitor as my main. Turns out my secondary monitor was capable of 75hz as well. Once I changed it to match everything was fine.......not sure why.

Yeah it seems to be a known problem but I am yet to find a solution, thats why I try here. :)

Just got my 240hz and I have the same issue with my 120hz now. Cant use it to watch videos in full screen anymore. Havent been able to find a resolution.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

40 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Just got my 240hz and I have the same issue with my 120hz now. Cant use it to watch videos in full screen anymore. Havent been able to find a resolution.

Yeah been searching my ass off myself. I feel like the only solution is to buy another similar montior, but its expensive as hell.