PC randomly shutting down after a few minutes in game

LordofShadows00

So today I installed a Ryzen 5 2600 with 16 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance on a B450 Aorus Elite motherboard into my PC and it started randomly shutting down after a few minutes in any game. After that I try pressing the power button to turn on and nothing happens until I reset the PSU switch. Another thing that happens if it's not a shut down is that my display turns off and GPU fans ramp up to 100%, forcing me to manually shut it down. I've never experienced this before and everything worked perfectly fine with my old components (i5 4690, H97 mobo and 12 GB DDR3) until today. Could it really be the power supply failing just now or is it something else?

PC specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHz

GPU: GTX 1070 Zotac AMP

Motherboard: B450 Aorus Elite

PSU: Raidmax Cobra RX-600AE (600W 80+ Gold)

Hi,

Sounds like the gpu might be overheating and thereby locking up and/or drawing a lot of power hence the revving or shutdown.

But could be anything else, my suggestion would be to use afterburner and/or hwinfo and monitor cpu, mobo and gpu temps closely. This likely will reveal some culprit.

If temps check out ok, check all powercable seating, under load a mediocre contact could als induce stability issues.

Hope you resolve it swiftly though; you did a very nice upgrade!

19 minutes ago, LordofShadows00 said:

So today I installed a Ryzen 5 2600 with 16 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance on a B450 Aorus Elite motherboard into my PC and it started randomly shutting down after a few minutes in any game. After that I try pressing the power button to turn on and nothing happens until I reset the PSU switch. Another thing that happens if it's not a shut down is that my display turns off and GPU fans ramp up to 100%, forcing me to manually shut it down. I've never experienced this before and everything worked perfectly fine with my old components (i5 4690, H97 mobo and 12 GB DDR3) until today. Could it really be the power supply failing just now or is it something else?

PC specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHz

GPU: GTX 1070 Zotac AMP

Motherboard: B450 Aorus Elite

PSU: Raidmax Cobra RX-600AE (600W 80+ Gold)

Are you overclocking CPU or GPU ?  Go to BIOS and set to defaults for the heck of knowing wtf is going on.  And see if the game shuts down your PC.  That tells me your CPU is getting to hot and it shuts off.  Or your PSU is botched.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

The only overclocks I have are on the GPU (+100 Core +500 Memory, which I've had for a few weeks now and it worked fine) and the XMP profile for RAM. The temperatures never went past 70C for both the CPU and the GPU according to MSI Afterburner and HWMonitor so it's not that either. After disabling the XMP profile it doesn't seem to shut down, but GPU usage in game (i tested AC:Origins since it always shuts down when trying to load a savegame) is all over the place an it maxes out at 95%. Also there appears to be some awful coil whine as soon as the game starts (coil whine.m4a).

I really don't know what to think here. I'm still not convinced it's the power supply suddenly failing. Any help would be appreciated.