[W10] System lockout + startup repair ineffective + cannot bypass password + 0xc0000017

Go to solution Solved by jellybutt,

Ok, so shortly after my last post I was able to finally get into the system. I managed to successfully make the Administrator account 'visible' via modifying registry from recovery environment. Something that failed using admin cmd and typing net user administrator /active: yes.

Internet works as it should.

Used the link provided by:

On 2/21/2019 at 2:18 AM, Raulison said:

[...] If you don't want to use third-party software, just make a Windows 10 install media and follow this tip to activate the built-in local administrator account:

https://www.wintips.org/how-to-enable-administrator-offline-in-registry-windows-10-8-7-vista/

Once logging in as admin, you should be able to access the profile directory of your Microsoft account and all your personal files remains intact.

Turns out there apparently was an update installed, as I got the whole "Windows is even better now" "All files are untouched" bla bla bla bullcrap welcome screens after logging into the administrator account. But looking at the update history, nothing has been updated or installed in recent days. Because of the 32bit system and having only 4GB of memory, this system always fails to update to any new build of Windows. So... ???

However, the problem of not being able to log into the Microsoft account still remains, as well as the unresponsive Easy of Access button. I would have thought that having a working connection would allow me to log into the Microsoft account, but no.

• If anyone has any tips on fixing the Microsoft login account, let me know (besides password reset, as that does not work).
  • Tips on enabling the StickyKey via cmd or whatever would still be nice, for future use.

Otherwise I shall mark this as resolved.

Thank you for your input @Raulison and @soulreaper11207 and assisting me in finding a workaround + (semi)fix.

Dear reader,

I have been tasked with the joy of fixing yet another Windows 10 related problem of my father's PC, but cannot figure this one out on my own. I won't put the full story down, only the most important things (semi-TL;DR).

System
Windows 10 32b Home
Microsoft account login

The original issue:
PC works the night before. No updates. Shut down correctly. Following day, cannot log into account with incorrect password message, despite the password being correct (using Microsoft account) and no network connectivity. Problems remains, no changes.

This is not a unique problem, more people have had this issue. Windows had a brainfart, blocks Microsoft login (password incorrect > password reset does not help) AND disables (presumably) network driver. 

The symptoms:
No wired internet connection (limited network access / yellow symbol), cannot test wireless (PC does not have antenna). Both wireless and wired do work on other systems on the same network. Boot is normal, BIOS works, Boot priority can be changed. Microsoft login password not accepted (even though it IS correct).

Issues preventing me from fixing this:
1) Startup repair does not work from bootable USB.
2) Cannot use system recovery point (see X).
3) Cannot use command prompt (see X) to create administrator bypass net user administrator /active: yes. Even if it worked, I would not know after (see topic).
4) Cannot bypass Windows password using system recovery via sethc cmd trick (see 2).
5) Cannot force startup repair via USB by using cmd of that USB and typing:
Bootrec /fixmbr
Bootrec /fixboot (fails)
Bootrec /scanos (0 drives detected)
Bootrec /rebuildbcd (fails - write only disk)

X) an older, existing problem of not enough RAM memory being able to be created (0xc0000017). This blocks me in trying the usual workarounds. I also cannot fix that error as well, as I cannot get into Windows desktop itself in order to implement the workarounds for this error code.

Safe mode does not help.

Things I will check tomorrow:
- Router settings
- Use dedicated network card, hoping pre-installed (if any) drivers work

I hope someone can aid me in this matter, before I am going to perform a clean install.

Kind regards,
JB

PS:
I'm afraid to use third-party software, such as PCUnlocker, without knowing if it's safe to use.

I recommend you enter the password using the on-screen keyboard. On the login screen, click on the Ease of Access icon in the bottom-left corner and you can access on-screen keyboard. After typing the password, click on the eye icon inside the password field to confirm if it's correct, and then press Enter.

If you're unsure if PCUnlocker is safe to use, you can check out the review on addictivetips. If you don't want to use third-party software, just make a Windows 10 install media and follow this tip to activate the built-in local administrator account:

https://www.wintips.org/how-to-enable-administrator-offline-in-registry-windows-10-8-7-vista/

Once logging in as admin, you should be able to access the profile directory of your Microsoft account and all your personal files remains intact.

The sticky keys trick can be done with any LiveCD environment that gives you access to the filesystem. I use a ubuntu livecd if I can't get into the Windows PE. I think you might have to mount it once you get it booted, bu you might not. its been awhile since I have had to do it that way. Then just make a copy of the sticky keys exe and replace with a copy of cmd like you normally would. Works like a charm. 

And I'm sure you know how to handle corrupted profiles, but here's a site for handling corrupted accounts just in case. 

https://neosmart.net/wiki/corrupt-user-profile/

Hopes this helps. 

10 hours ago, Raulison said:

[...]

I assume you mean bottom-right (W7 was left), the little clock-like with arrow symbol. Unfortunately, this is unresponsive. Either by clicked on it with the cursor, or using TAB and enter. Using TAB to navigate and 'press' the easy of access button did magically fix the internet connection issue however, but only for one instance.

I have tried the following in the meantime, because that was next on my list.

I was actually able to perform the sethc trick. Meaning that I can change files on this system via the system image recovery.

However, StickyKeys is actually presumably disabled on this system, as nothing triggers when pressing Shift multiple times. I've tried to adjust it via regedit,  it does not include the necessary (sub)folders that include the settings to change StickyKeys values. At first I thought this was because but that command is done in the bootable USB's command prompt (X:\Sources)(because it does not work on the system itself), but after finding a way to open cmd on the C:\Windows\system32 (via System Image Recovery), that regedit also did not include the necessary folders.

So if someone knows a way I can change StickyKeys settings via System Image Recovery, either changing it via textfiles or admin cmd command (either bootable USB or system), that would be nice. Regedit does not work.

I wanted to work down from least 'scary' to regedit changes, but I think thats where I currently arrived at.

Ok, so shortly after my last post I was able to finally get into the system. I managed to successfully make the Administrator account 'visible' via modifying registry from recovery environment. Something that failed using admin cmd and typing net user administrator /active: yes.

Internet works as it should.

Used the link provided by:

On 2/21/2019 at 2:18 AM, Raulison said:

[...] If you don't want to use third-party software, just make a Windows 10 install media and follow this tip to activate the built-in local administrator account:

Turns out there apparently was an update installed, as I got the whole "Windows is even better now" "All files are untouched" bla bla bla bullcrap welcome screens after logging into the administrator account. But looking at the update history, nothing has been updated or installed in recent days. Because of the 32bit system and having only 4GB of memory, this system always fails to update to any new build of Windows. So... ???

However, the problem of not being able to log into the Microsoft account still remains, as well as the unresponsive Easy of Access button. I would have thought that having a working connection would allow me to log into the Microsoft account, but no.

• If anyone has any tips on fixing the Microsoft login account, let me know (besides password reset, as that does not work).
  • Tips on enabling the StickyKey via cmd or whatever would still be nice, for future use.

Otherwise I shall mark this as resolved.

Thank you for your input @Raulison and @soulreaper11207 and assisting me in finding a workaround + (semi)fix.

I would copy the data by renaming the user folder with an .old on the end, delete the account entry under the profile list in the advances system settings, and clear out the old user folder. Then get into the settings to create an account using the Microsoft creds. After you have created the new account, copy of only the desktop, documents, and other files. Do not migrate the Appdata folder over, or you will have corrupted the account once again (trust me, I've done it lol). Let us know if you are still having issues. Another source of information would be to look at any Event viewer errors.  

After logging into your Administrator account, go to Control Panel -> Ease of Access Center -> Make the keyboard easier to use, and make sure both "Turn on Sticky Keys" and "Turn on Sticky Keys when SHIFT is pressed five times" are checked.

https://www.top-password.com/blog/disable-sticky-filter-keys-in-windows-10/

Next, open File Explorer and browse to C:\Windows\System32. Right-click on the sechc.exe file to view its security properties and ensure your Microsoft account has full access rights to the "sethc.exe" file. The next time your PC boots to the login screen, press the SHIFT key 5 times and check if it can activate the sticky keys application.

If you still can't get the sticky keys back to work, it's recommended to follow @soulreaper11207's advice to make a new account and migrate the profile data of your problematic Microsoft account.

3 hours ago, soulreaper11207 said:

[...] 

I will pass on this information, this looks like an easy workaround. I take it that with Microsoft cred's, you mean the previously used account (the one that is now locked out, same email etc.)? And that deleting the account entry under the profile list will only remove its access to this system, not the account itself.

And lastly, I assume this will not affect any installed programs on the drive itself (the ones that were installed by the MS account on the system).

Excuse my insecurity and questions, but I usually do not work with any of this and would like to know beforehand before wrecking anything on someone else's system ;).

12 minutes ago, Raulison said:

[...]

Thank you. But this was more a request for information for future use during the same locked out circumstances. In case I find myself in a similar situation where the sethc thing does not work because StickyKey has been disabled (like I had now) and cannot log into the system or change StickyKey values in the register. So only being able to use cmd from bootable USB (X:\sources) OR system admin cmd (recovery environment) OR via the System Image Recovery by opening admin cmd via system32 folder to enable/disable it.

The whole action that I had listed earlier is to remove the corrupted profile, and to reset it up without loosing the user's local data. Any other thing is that once the account is added back to the system, user settings are usually transferred back. This also happens if a user adds his/her account to a new device. They will notice that they will have the same background, start up menu, and I believe edge browser history (don't quote me on this).