Network Adapter Question

guas5373

Hello, I have a question about networking. 

My motherboard has this adapter : Giga PHY Intel I217V. Which is said to have LAN speeds of 10/100/1000Mbps. In the device manager, I am able to set the link speed manually. When I set it to "100 Mbps Full Duplex" the status is green and good to go. 

post-5391-0-18921700-1389997734.png

But when I change it to "1Gbps Full Duplex" the status turns gray and the internet no longer works. 

post-5391-0-52004700-1389997733.png

Why does this occur? Shouldn't it be able to run at 1Gbps since the adapter supports it? 

I believe that it doesn't work because my modem/router doesn't support speeds up to 1000 Mbps. Am I correct in saying this? Thanks for your help.

Hm, could be. If I manually set mine to 1Gbps on a 100mbps router they just only work at 100mbps though...

Hm, could be. If I manually set mine to 1Gbps on a 100mbps router they just only work at 100mbps though...

happens the same with mine

i think that the solution is easy: just set it to 100mbps. you are not gonna benefit from 1gbps if you router doesn't support it. not even gonna do a thing.

i think that the solution is easy: just set it to 100mbps. you are not gonna benefit from 1gbps if you router doesn't support it. not even gonna do a thing.

I was just wondering if the reason it doesn't work at the 1gbps setting is because my router doesn't support it. Should it even still work, or not at all?

I was just wondering if the reason it doesn't work at the 1gbps setting is because my router doesn't support it. Should it even still work, or not at all?

usually even if it's manually seted to 1gbps the only thing that will happen is that it's gonna run at 100mbps or 10mbps, depending on the router. but that doesn't mean that it's gonna always work. depends on the controller and the router combination.