Paperwhite?

Dudenstein
Go to solution Solved by Damikiller37,

@Dudenstein Alright so I have had my Kindle Paperwhite (1st gen) for about 1-2 years now and I can tell you that this thing is fantastic for reading. I personally don't read books on it but manga and the resolution of the screen makes all of the tiny text and detail really show up. The backlight is a huge plus and comes really handy at nigh and even during day to make the screen seem a lot more white. As i have heard the 2nd gen Paperwhite had all of the things that I have found a slight let down improved being the backlight doesn't have any grayish areas near the bottom (that's where the LEDs are placed) and I think they have put a faster processor in it so it turns pages faster and is snappier. Also the battery life is fantastic! I literally have to charge it once every 3-4 weeks with me ready for aprox. 2h a day with max backlight on. Even though you mentioned that all of your ebooks are in epub you may find Calibre useful to get them converted easily and will work on the Paperwhite. The main advantage you will notice over the Nook tablet is the fact that you will never have any eyestrain caused by eink screen since the backlight is actually a frontlight and the light isn't going directly towards your eyes.

Feel free to ask me anything if you want to know anything else about it :)

I'm looking into getting a dedicated ebook reader for most of my reading and I'm looking for some opinions.

I currently use a Nook tablet as my dedicated reader and its fine but I have some issues with it. Mainly its the battery being sub par for my needs and it isn't good for reading outside which is a big one for me because I read at the beach.

The Paper white seems to cover all my bases except for the fact that it doesn't use epub which is the format I'm which I have most of my books. I know I can just convert it but I don't want to deal with formatting issues that may come up.

My other alternative choices are the nook with glow light or the kobo (I think).

Has anyone used any of these products that can givee a first hand perspective on how they liked or disliked their experience?

@Dudenstein Alright so I have had my Kindle Paperwhite (1st gen) for about 1-2 years now and I can tell you that this thing is fantastic for reading. I personally don't read books on it but manga and the resolution of the screen makes all of the tiny text and detail really show up. The backlight is a huge plus and comes really handy at nigh and even during day to make the screen seem a lot more white. As i have heard the 2nd gen Paperwhite had all of the things that I have found a slight let down improved being the backlight doesn't have any grayish areas near the bottom (that's where the LEDs are placed) and I think they have put a faster processor in it so it turns pages faster and is snappier. Also the battery life is fantastic! I literally have to charge it once every 3-4 weeks with me ready for aprox. 2h a day with max backlight on. Even though you mentioned that all of your ebooks are in epub you may find Calibre useful to get them converted easily and will work on the Paperwhite. The main advantage you will notice over the Nook tablet is the fact that you will never have any eyestrain caused by eink screen since the backlight is actually a frontlight and the light isn't going directly towards your eyes.

Feel free to ask me anything if you want to know anything else about it :)

@Damikiller37 ah you are a gentleman and a scholar. Do you happen to have the one with the ads? I'm curious of how intrusive they are and if its worth getting the variation with the ads disabled

@Damikiller37 ah you are a gentleman and a scholar. Do you happen to have the one with the ads? I'm curious of how intrusive they are and if its worth getting the variation with the ads disabled

I have the non-advert model since they don't sall the advert model in UK, but I have looked in to it and from what I have found isn't too bad. Basicaly you will have adverts on when the device is off and when on they will only take a small fraction at the bottom in the menu but not when you read. I think I saw a way to remove the ads from the advert model bu that would probably void the warranty.

Ah thanks man. The extra 20 bucks isn't a big deal for me so I can just upgrade to the advert free easily without much distress. You answered everything perfectly. Again thanks