CPU and GPU at 100%

IoWii

Hello, i've recently noticed that while gaming, my CPU goes to 100%. I tried fortnite and my CPU ramps up to 100% and my gpu stays at 50-70%. I have to run the game at low-medium settings but i still get drops. Later i tried Rainbow Six Siege, GPU and CPU topped out at 100%, discord lags so bad I cant understand anyone. To my understanding that would be a CPU bottleneck correct? How is it possible that I do not recall having problems like such for the past few years? I have an i5-3450 and r9 380 that is overclocked.  Temperatures for both stay around 60C.  

I think it would be a CPU bottleneck? That's what it sounds like to me.

3 minutes ago, hiitswilliam said:

I think it would be a CPU bottleneck? That's what it sounds like to me.

Same to me, is it possible that my CPU is on its way out? 

38 minutes ago, IoWii said:

Same to me, is it possible that my CPU is on its way out? 

It's the only fix I think. You can sell it or something like that if it's in good condition. I kind of want someone else's opinion on this that hopefully knows more than I do.

More problems! 

Just played Rainbow Six Siege, mid game I suddenly lost all FPS and it dropped under 30, before it was over a 100. CPU at 100% all the time, GPU usage dropped to 40%. How can I check if my CPU is dying?

A quick google search will tell you what to look for in a dying cpu, although I'm sure you're fine. 

8 minutes ago, IoWii said:

mid game I suddenly lost all FPS

This sounds like a driver issue, similar to what someone else is having. Purge system of all GPU drivers (Google it.) reboot, reinstall, and reboot again. 

Once that is all done, don't run your game on the most minimal settings, that'll take workload away from your GPU and put it on your CPU, you need to find settings where there is a balance between both workloads, try turning the settings up.

20 minutes ago, Mason Fraser said:

A quick google search will tell you what to look for in a dying cpu, although I'm sure you're fine. 

This sounds like a driver issue, similar to what someone else is having. Purge system of all GPU drivers (Google it.) reboot, reinstall, and reboot again. 

Once that is all done, don't run your game on the most minimal settings, that'll take workload away from your GPU and put it on your CPU, you need to find settings where there is a balance between both workloads, try turning the settings up.

Just used DDU as you replied, I hope this will fix it... I always try to run settings as high as possible while maintaining ~60 fps

An old quad core i5, of course it's not so great in modern games. An i7 3770 would probably help a lot.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 hours ago, Mason Fraser said:

Any success?

Yes it fixed it, now usage is 100% on both, which i guess is the perfect scenario, right?

3 hours ago, fasauceome said:

An old quad core i5, of course it's not so great in modern games. An i7 3770 would probably help a lot.

I have been looking for an i7 2600k/2700k or i7 3770k for the past few weeks, but I cant find one (2600k/2700k) under 100$ and im not sure if my mobo can OC aswell, so I doubt its worth it ..

2 minutes ago, IoWii said:

I have been looking for an i7 2600k/2700k or i7 3770k for the past few weeks, but I cant find one (2600k/2700k) under 100$ and im not sure if my mobo can OC aswell, so I doubt its worth it ..

Non-k is what you want. Don't only look at 3770k, look at 3770. An i7 is what will help.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Non-k is what you want. Don't only look at 3770k, look at 3770. An i7 is what will help.

Big difference between an 2600 and 3770? 2600 I found a few for ~70$ local maybe i can haggle so a bit less probably, no 3770 local but on ebay they are ~115$ with shipping 

Just now, IoWii said:

Big difference between an 2600 and 3770? 2600 I found a few for ~70$ local maybe i can haggle so a bit less probably, no 3770 local but on ebay they are ~115$ with shipping 

Much better, especially with modern games wanting at least 4 threads, even my brother's PC with an i5 7400 struggles in overwatch or For Honor, so an i7 really helps a lot when you're facing 100% usage, not to mention it's not just more threads but also higher clocks.

Primary PC:

4 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Much better, especially with modern games wanting at least 4 threads, even my brother's PC with an i5 7400 struggles in overwatch or For Honor, so an i7 really helps a lot when you're facing 100% usage, not to mention it's not just more threads but also higher clocks.

But the i7 2600 and i7 3770 have the same amount of cores and threads?.. 3770 is only 0.10gHz faster

Just now, IoWii said:

But the i7 2600 and i7 3770 have the same amount of cores and threads?.. 3770 is only 0.10gHz faster

Oh sorry thought you said 2400. 2600 would also be a good choice, yes.

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Oh sorry thought you said 2400. 2600 would also be a good choice, yes.

So an i7 2600 would be a noticable increase in performance over the i5 3450? 
I dont really want to go spend ~70$ and then notice little to no difference

7 minutes ago, IoWii said:

So an i7 2600 would be a noticable increase in performance over the i5 3450
I dont really want to go spend ~70$ and then notice little to no difference

You can check out benchmarks, and see for yourself. That's always good practice before buying a new component. 

Primary PC:

6 hours ago, IoWii said:

Yes it fixed it, now usage is 100% on both, which i guess is the perfect scenario, right?

Awesome, glad it worked out. 100% on both is for sure what you're looking for I suppose. Was the driver issue you figure yeah?

Look into an i7 like the the other guy was saying.

Make sure your BIOS is up to date as well. I've had a similar issue before with the CPU constantly hitting 100% utilization and a bios firmware update resolved it for me.

8 Threads do very well in games because many game engines are aware of more than 4 threads.

4 cores 4threads can be Saturated to up to 100'% where the i7 will be 65-80% in similar situations.

Dependant on clockspeeds and also what you run in the background chewing resources...

The i7 cured all my 4cores nearing 100% with dropped gpu usages. And I tested 20-30 games as I had that many installed at once to test.

HighEnd GPU and 4threads isn't the best combination anymore

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

7 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

8 Threads do very well in games because many game engines are aware of more than 4 threads.

4 cores 4threads can be Saturated to up to 100'% where the i7 will be 65-80% in similar situations.

Dependant on clockspeeds and also what you run in the background chewing resources...

The i7 cured all my 4cores nearing 100% with dropped gpu usages. And I tested 20-30 games as I had that many installed at once to test.

HighEnd GPU and 4threads isn't the best combination anymore

Realized that by looking at benchmarks, the only thing now, is the 3770 worth ~50$ over the 2600? I can get the 2600 today for around 60$ because its near me, but on ebay i can order the 3770 for 125 shipped to my house. Thats the only thing keeping me away of buying one of them now.

What about an i5 3570? Looking at benchmarks it beats the i7 2600

7 hours ago, MikeJones said:

Make sure your BIOS is up to date as well. I've had a similar issue before with the CPU constantly hitting 100% utilization and a bios firmware update resolved it for me.

Checked for BIOS updates, the update i would have to get is in BETA from 2013, so I doubt i will update to that...

Got the i7 2600, everything works much better! It turbo boosts to 4gHz, shame i cant OC, it never goes over 52C, but oh well. Thanks for the help!

7 hours ago, IoWii said:

Got the i7 2600, everything works much better! It turbo boosts to 4gHz, shame i cant OC, it never goes over 52C, but oh well. Thanks for the help!

Spoiler

i7 2600 6700k

Enjoy your newfound performance.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz