Dell G7 7588 1060 Max q problems/Bios Downgrade

Senor LongNuts

So after installing my bios update, along with some other recommended updates from dell, my graphics card shits the bed. Gives me an error in device manager "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"  For the past 2 weeks I have tried everything under the sun to fix it. When I call dell and tell them I eventually get routed to software support, which costs over $100 since I have a "basic hardware warranty". So I finally realized if I bring it up as "my hdmi port doesnt work" they stop routing me to software support. Then I spend an hour on the phone with some guy trying to blame my monitor/cable and not the laptop. I eventually lose my temper and cuss...a lot so he hangs up. 

So before I go back through the painful process called dell support I want to try all routes. I really think if I were able to downgrade my BIOS from 1.6.1 to the previous version I had that it would fix my issue. I have tried every suggestion I can find but cant figure it out. Does anyone know of a way to do this? or perhaps can offer new insight into fixing the issue all together. 

Here is a more detailed look at my driver probem:

Status

DN_HAS_PROBLEM
DN_DISABLEABLE
DN_NT_ENUMERATOR
DN_NT_DRIVER

Problem Code:

0000002B

Problem status:

The operation completed successfully.

Use DDU to get rid of the old video driver, and reinstall new ones

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

10 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Use DDU to get rid of the old video driver, and reinstall new ones

Yeah I tried this. Followed a guide on reddit. 

if there is an option in the BIOS to roll-back or you can find a BIOS update that actually goes to the previous version, these would be the only ways to get the old BIOS back.

*edit*

If nothing else this is a valuable lesson, don't update BIOS unless something is actually wrong not just because " hey it's newer "

AsRock X99 Taichi MB // Intel Core i7-6800k Overclocked @ 4.0GHZ // Noctua NH-U14S Cooler // Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 // EVGA GeForce 980Ti SC+ // Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD // 2TB WD Gold HDD // Corsair RM850 PSU // Corsair Obsidian Series 750D // Asus VG248QE 144Hz

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 // Intel Core i5-3570k Overclocked @ 4.2GHZ // Noctua NH-L9x65 Cooler // Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 // EVGA GeForce 960 // 250 GB WD Blue HDD // EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3, 80+ GOLD // Corsair Carbide Series 100R

3 minutes ago, SorcierX said:

if there is an option in the BIOS to roll-back or you can find a BIOS update that actually goes to the previous version, these would be the only ways to get the old BIOS back.

*edit*

If nothing else this is a valuable lesson, don't update BIOS unless something is actually wrong not just because " hey it's newer "

So there is an option in the BIOS to allow downgrade. When I enable this option it still gives me the BIOS cant be downgraded message. IDK if this is user error or what.

Side Note:

Also valuable lesson in not buying a dell due to horrific tech support. Or i should say dell prompt support. I remember in early 2000's dell tech support use to be solid. If they couldn't understand me it was due to the language barrier and not due to lack of intelligence. This new support asked me questions like "is your 1060 outside of your computer right now" and my personal favorite "where do I download device manager"

7 minutes ago, Senor LongNuts said:

So there is an option in the BIOS to allow downgrade. When I enable this option it still gives me the BIOS cant be downgraded message. IDK if this is user error or what.

Side Note:

Also valuable lesson in not buying a dell due to horrific tech support. Or i should say dell prompt support. I remember in early 2000's dell tech support use to be solid. If they couldn't understand me it was due to the language barrier and not due to lack of intelligence. This new support asked me questions like "is your 1060 outside of your computer right now" and my personal favorite "where do I download device manager"

Correction, dell tech support isn't THAT bad... if you spend an extra 400 dollars on the laptop for their highest warranty lol, got on site service for a dead pixel on my xps 15 and got a sticky keyboard replaced. I see what you're saying though... wish the people over the phone were a little more technically inclined and didn't have to follow so many protocols to fix one simple problem... That's generally the problem with the tech support industry as a whole though.

P.S. Let us know when/how you fix the problem! :) I'm sure it would be helpful in the future and save people from a lot of trouble :)

My pc specs are as follows:

GTX 1080 GPU

intel i7 6700k CPU

16GB Ram

2TB HDD

500G SSD

Gigabyte Gaming 7 Motherboard

I'd try to find an independent source for the original BIOS and update using a USB stick.

I wish I could be of more assistance, but a BIOS update is literally something I never do for this specific reason. ( I've been building my own PCs for 20 years )

If it's not broke, don't fix it. -- My motto for BIOS updates

AsRock X99 Taichi MB // Intel Core i7-6800k Overclocked @ 4.0GHZ // Noctua NH-U14S Cooler // Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 // EVGA GeForce 980Ti SC+ // Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD // 2TB WD Gold HDD // Corsair RM850 PSU // Corsair Obsidian Series 750D // Asus VG248QE 144Hz

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 // Intel Core i5-3570k Overclocked @ 4.2GHZ // Noctua NH-L9x65 Cooler // Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 // EVGA GeForce 960 // 250 GB WD Blue HDD // EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3, 80+ GOLD // Corsair Carbide Series 100R

2 minutes ago, SorcierX said:

I'd try to find an independent source for the original BIOS and update using a USB stick.

I wish I could be of more assistance, but a BIOS update is literally something I never do for this specific reason. ( I've been building my own PCs for 20 years )

If it's not broke, don't fix it. -- My motto for BIOS updates

BTW On the nvidia fourms someone speaks of the same issue on a lenovo i believe and downgrading fixed it. Which is another reason why im feeling confident on this being a solution

Independent as in not from dell?

Don't worry this mistake and motto is now burned into my brain. :D

10 minutes ago, balzer45 said:

Correction, dell tech support isn't THAT bad... if you spend an extra 400 dollars on the laptop for their highest warranty lol, got on site service for a dead pixel on my xps 15 and got a sticky keyboard replaced. I see what you're saying though... wish the people over the phone were a little more technically inclined and didn't have to follow so many protocols to fix one simple problem... That's generally the problem with the tech support industry as a whole though.

P.S. Let us know when/how you fix the problem! :) I'm sure it would be helpful in the future and save people from a lot of trouble :)

LMAO I gotcha. If you could of heard this legendary conversation i had with the agent. I think it would bring dell down a few notches in your book. Honestly I probably got unlucky with my support agent. Nice guy but we were far from being on the same page. 

Will let you guys know of any updates! Only fourm that has replied back so far :D

Dell might have the old BIOS, but I would avoid letting the BIOS try to update itself as that's not working for you.

Find the BIOS file yourself, from Dell or another location.

8 hours ago, SorcierX said:

Dell might have the old BIOS, but I would avoid letting the BIOS try to update itself as that's not working for you.

Find the BIOS file yourself, from Dell or another location.

Sorry just to clarify, you mean create a bootable usb with the old BIOS? Instead of using the bios flash utlity

13 hours ago, Senor LongNuts said:

So after installing my bios update, along with some other recommended updates from dell, my graphics card shits the bed. Gives me an error in device manager "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"  For the past 2 weeks I have tried everything under the sun to fix it. When I call dell and tell them I eventually get routed to software support, which costs over $100 since I have a "basic hardware warranty". So I finally realized if I bring it up as "my hdmi port doesnt work" they stop routing me to software support. Then I spend an hour on the phone with some guy trying to blame my monitor/cable and not the laptop. I eventually lose my temper and cuss...a lot so he hangs up. 

So before I go back through the painful process called dell support I want to try all routes. I really think if I were able to downgrade my BIOS from 1.6.1 to the previous version I had that it would fix my issue. I have tried every suggestion I can find but cant figure it out. Does anyone know of a way to do this? or perhaps can offer new insight into fixing the issue all together. 

Here is a more detailed look at my driver probem:

Status

DN_HAS_PROBLEM
DN_DISABLEABLE
DN_NT_ENUMERATOR
DN_NT_DRIVER

Problem Code:

0000002B

Problem status:

The operation completed successfully.

My friend had the same problem try to forcefully load a newer bios or contact the creator and ask for a beta or something

3 hours ago, Isaac Marrs said:

My friend had the same problem try to forcefully load a newer bios or contact the creator and ask for a beta or something

Ok I will. Is this what your buddy did to fix the problem? Also was it also a Dell G7 or another laptop with a 1060 max q

22 hours ago, SorcierX said:

So hear me out dell has an even newer BIOS. Worth a shot? Two negatives make a positive right? ?

Enhancement:
- This update integrates the BIOSConnect feature into Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery. This feature connects the system to the Dell image server to download and recover the operating system.

Version

Version 1.8.0, 1.8.0

Category

BIOS

Release date

22 Jan 2019

Last Updated

22 Jan 2019