Thermaltake Core x71 Fan Plan

Kochiha Ichihara

After some discussion and research, I think I've settled on what to do for case fan setups. Some people tell me that with the two 1080Tis I have I might be better off setting up a custom loop, but I think I'd rather have this PC in operation for a while before I set any of that up. Besides, I'm moving in July, and I'd rather not deal with that by that time, since I'm inexperienced with custom loops in general.

But here's the plan, in an attached image that has been lazily drawn on to sort of illustrate what I'm going for. The idea is to create positive pressure in the top chamber, where the GPUs and other components are, to encourage the air to travel down to the negatively pressurized bottom chamber. I'd quite like to exhaust out either side of the bottom chamber, but the case only shipped with one of the bracket needed to install fans in that chamber. Two more can be installed in the bottom. The PSU is also installed down there, for some additional exhaustive effort...unless the air gets hot enough, at which point I'll just flip it around and it can intake and exhaust its own air out the side. (I absolutely love this giant case for how modular it is, even if it is a big heavy monolith.)

Thoughts or suggestions are welcome and encouraged!

fanplan.jpg

What is a mad scientist but a wizard who writes things down?

I see a GPU that wont be that happy :)

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Go all in and only the back exhaust 

This is what i would do

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Yikes, that much positive pressure? Sounds like it'd be kinda choked if the air's only got one place to go.

Also, they're fan cards, not blower cards.

What is a mad scientist but a wizard who writes things down?

2 hours ago, Kochiha Ichihara said:

Yikes, that much positive pressure? Sounds like it'd be kinda choked if the air's only got one place to go.

Also, they're fan cards, not blower cards.

More unhappy GPUs. You need to leave space for top card to breathe. Bottom compartment fans irrelevant, even if you would fill that space with HDDs. So are side fans as that placement is for rad intake.

Other things are having top as intake. That would be better as exhaust. If you want to have it as intake, have rear as exhaust.

The air doesn't have effective way to move from top and rear intakes to bottom exhausts. Also front intakes are only ones providing cooling to GPUs. Again, there's no efficient way for air to move from bottom part to main case or back.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv