skylake system shuts off after a couple of minutes

Fennie

so i built a system for my friend from mostly unused parts (only graphics card was used) and it has this weird problem i cant fix fully

the system would sometimes have hicups in a span of a couple of days to a couple of weeks. the thing would crash randomly and would turn on to just crash again after a few minutes and not boot at all.

it takes playing with the stuff in it (resitting all of the stuff connected to the mobo) a couple of times to get it to boot again without problems..

when it crashes the screen just turns black and the whole system freezes. the keyboard doesn't respond to any commands and audio stops working

tried reapplying the thermal paste. failed

tried running it without the gpu. failed

tried cleaning the contacts on the ram. failed

tried without the case io. failed

it doesn't seem like a overheating issue

i suspect it might be a failing power supply or a broken mobo.

specs:

gigabyte GTX 1070

intel i5 6500

corsair VS650 80+ silver

asus B250-Pro

Just now, TheGlenlivet said:

Any info from the windows log?

didn't check it.. but it doesn't bluescreen or anything... its also a fresh windows installation. its a win 8.1 system *i know people say windows 8 is garbage and i know it is but i never had any problems with 8.1 and i never had others having problems with it*

Rapid power failures without a BSOD is usually indicative of a dying power supply if every other component seems to be in order

Edit: the symptoms and workarounds you mentioned makes me think you really need to change that PSU before it kills things for good. Check your debug LED for any error codes. Try and stress test your RAM, CPU, GPU and if they all check out, try plugging a mate's power supply there

Just now, Dogeystyle said:

Rapid power failures without a BSOD is usually indicative of a dying power supply if every other component seems to be in order

alright.. imma try to connect a working 500 watt psu