Newb trying to make a PC

Go to solution Solved by Happycowdance,

ok sooooooo after a week research i came up with a couple of components.starting with the currency and budget its is INR or you can say indian rupees and the budget is around 100k on the high end and 80k is what i atleast expect it out (btw id love if you can help me cut some costs on this)

so the main purpose of the system i plan to have is gonna be for animation gaming streaming and editing.

also after asking around to some people ik that sorta know tech stuff i came up with 4 components i need.

so to start off i plan to have a  AMD ryzen 2600x

since it favors multi tasking also the thing i keep hearing is that to get a 2600 instead of 2600x but imo i want this system to last for a while (future upgrade arent out of question) but thats the plan for now.

also for the gpu i have thought about a 1070 or a 1070 ti (not the founder's edition btw) which i think is by default around 8 gigs (i might be wrong).

now based on a simple google search i found a cheap mobo to fit all the stuff which is MSI b350 PC mate ATX

now the thing that proves me a noob i dont know exactly if the mobo can actually fit the cpu and gpu it was based of simple google search "mother board for amd ryzen 2600x" so id like some help with this

also :) if you all can pls help me find the rest of the parts for the system i

note:- i have been using pcpartpicker a lot for these stuff idk if its a bad site or what but the prices listed are sometimes incorrect :) id rly appreciate if you can help me find the respective parts online where the shipping charges dont cost me the same amount as the system.

thanks for any and all the help :D

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can help, but ill share what I can. On pcpartpicker it came up with the alert that the bios may need to be updated with an older cpu before the 2600x will work with that mobo. I think amd were sending out those old ones out upon request, so you may want to look into that. This may not be necessary, just something to look out for.

Just now, o SQUEEZY o said:

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can help, but ill share what I can. On pcpartpicker it came up with the alert that the bios may need to be updated with an older cpu before the 2600x will work with that mobo. I think amd were sending out those old ones out upon request, so you may want to look into that. This may not be necessary, just something to look out for.

yes one of my friends did say smth about that but then again i have 0 idea what does that mean

Good for you for taking the time to build a PC instead of buying a prebuilt! I like to think of PC building as essentially expensive (and fragile) lego.

The AMD Ryzen 2600x is essentially the same CPU as the 2600. The big difference between the two is the 2600x is basically overclocked (faster) out of the box, but if you want to get into tweaking, the 2600 can almost always reach the same speeds as the 2600x. For the price I'd probably just recommend the 2600, because generally its cheaper and if you overclock it, you'll achieve the same results.

As for the Graphics card, it is entirely dependent on the games/workload you are going to be doing, as well as what kind of MONITOR you're using. Generally the 1070 will be capable of running games and programs very well at 1440p, but if you were thinking of just using a 1080p monitor, you could almost do well with a GTX 1060 if you're trying to save money (Though if you're using the computer for animation and such, 1070 definitely has more horsepower for the job).

As for the Motherboard, the B350 chipset is a great "middle of the road" set for the Ryzen, and judging by what you need it for, it should be fine. Basically the biggest hurdle to look towards if to make sure the motherboard you are buying is both the AM4 socket type (so the CPU can fit the board) and is out of the box compatible with Ryzen 2 (There are a couple motherboards that were built originally for the 1000x Ryzen that came before, and they would need to be flashed to be compatible with the 2000x Ryzen).

PCPartPicker is a great place to build a computer, and is generally a great way to find out if parts are compatible with each other or not. In the end, I think you've got the right idea on what you're doing. it will pull prices from a bunch of different online merchants though, so you'll have to decide whether you'll want to buy from separate retailers, or just buy from one. I like to buy from a single merchant, that way returns are made easier for me.

Hopefully this helped out a bit, I am definitely not a professional, but I have been building and working with computers recreationally for over 15 years. Feel free to reach out if you need more help!

Edited by MajorTmar
Typos

4 minutes ago, MajorTmar said:

basically overclocked (faster) out of the box

ok so idkif the myth is right or not about this doesnt overclocking actually puts a risk on the system to melt/fry something? 

5 minutes ago, MajorTmar said:

compatible with Ryzen 2

also i was browsing through the forums rn for the same query and an answer suggested X470 gaming pro carbon

do you think this will be better suited for the rig?

thanks for the replis btw :)

Ok so keep using pcpartpicker it is a great site also I suggest getting a b450 mother board because they have $5 difference at most which I think is worth the time you will save from not updating your BIOS. Also as he said the 2600 is the same as the 1600X you will just need to get your friend to apply a light overclock on it at some point if you need more performance (you don't need to oc your CPU if you are playing on 60Hz panel and if you are not doing heavy CPU tasks).

You also will need a PSU. I suggest a 500W 80 Plus gold, just to be safe. You dont want to get a cheap PSU

If you want you can get a after market cooler for more silent operation.

For the GPU it is better to get the best that your budget can fit so a 1070 ti when overclocked i basically a stock 1080. Go with it if have money left.

I don't know how are the prices in India but probably RAM is cheap enough for you to get 16GB.

You will also need a case Just choose one with goo reviews on YT and good looks and price that fits your budget of course.

I suggest getting a 250GB SSD M.2 Nvme if you can aford it otherways a SATA on is okay too.On the SSD you put the games that you often play and the OS.

Put in a 2TB HDD for bulk storage and you are done.

Just now, DividerPrime said:

ok so idkif the myth is right or not about this doesnt overclocking actually puts a risk on the system to melt/fry something? 

also i was browsing through the forums rn for the same query and an answer suggested X470 gaming pro carbon

do you think this will be better suited for the rig?

thanks for the replis btw :)

The Specific chipset on each motherboard have their own advantages and disadvantages. The X470 chipset allows a higher maximum RAM speed, better overclocking, and multiple GPU support. Beyond that they can also offer more SATA slots, M.2 slots, etc, etc.

In the end it entirely falls on how you want to use the computer. Higher RAM speeds for Ryzen is definitely gonna be a good thing. The big disadvantage is you are paying more for something that doesn't GREATLY change the everyday use of your computer.

In the end, your mileage may very. I use a Ryzen 1600 on my computer with a B350 motherboard, and havent felt the need to go for a higher end one.

As for overclocking in the first place, definitely do it at your own risk. As long as you aren't mucking around too much with voltages though, you can't really kill the computer. Best course of action is to do a bit of research on that particular subject before attempting it yourself.

1 minute ago, MajorTmar said:

The Specific chipset on each motherboard have their own advantages and disadvantages. The X470 chipset allows a higher maximum RAM speed, better overclocking, and multiple GPU support. Beyond that they can also offer more SATA slots, M.2 slots, etc, etc.

In the end it entirely falls on how you want to use the computer. Higher RAM speeds for Ryzen is definitely gonna be a good thing. The big disadvantage is you are paying more for something that doesn't GREATLY change the everyday use of your computer.

In the end, your mileage may very. I use a Ryzen 1600 on my computer with a B350 motherboard, and havent felt the need to go for a higher end one.

As for overclocking in the first place, definitely do it at your own risk. As long as you aren't mucking around too much with voltages though, you can't really kill the computer. Best course of action is to do a bit of research on that particular subject before attempting it yourself.

you are not paying more for most brands and models and if you do it is like 5 bucks

4 minutes ago, Mokilop said:

Ok so keep using pcpartpicker it is a great site also I suggest getting a b450 mother board because they have $5 difference at most which I think is worth the time you will save from not updating your BIOS. Also as he said the 2600 is the same as the 1600X you will just need to get your friend to apply a light overclock on it at some point if you need more performance (you don't need to oc your CPU if you are playing on 60Hz panel and if you are not doing heavy CPU tasks).

You also will need a PSU. I suggest a 500W 80 Plus gold, just to be safe. You dont want to get a cheap PSU

If you want you can get a after market cooler for more silent operation.

For the GPU it is better to get the best that your budget can fit so a 1070 ti when overclocked i basically a stock 1080. Go with it if have money left.

I don't know how are the prices in India but probably RAM is cheap enough for you to get 16GB.

You will also need a case Just choose one with goo reviews on YT and good looks and price that fits your budget of course.

I suggest getting a 250GB SSD M.2 Nvme if you can aford it otherwais a SATA on is okay too.On the SSD you put the games that you often play and the OS.

Put in a 2TB HDD for bulk storage and you are done.

ayy i plan to get a SSD as i have heard its faster to load stuff up so all the main shenanigans will be on it aswell a HDD for the raw data etc :) thanks for the help

1 minute ago, Mokilop said:

you are not paying more for most brands and models and if you do it is like 5 bucks

If you look at the price of a B350 board and compare it to a X470 board, there is definitely a price difference. You are paying for more features on the x470 board.

Just now, DividerPrime said:

ayy i plan to get a SSD as i have heard its faster to load stuff up so all the main shenanigans will be on it aswell a HDD for the raw data etc :) thanks for the help

An SSD will single-handedly make a computer faster in everyday tasks. I generally get a SSD for installing windows and other important apps on, and then buying a regular Hard drive for storing projects and games on.

Just now, MajorTmar said:

If you look at the price of a B350 board and compare it to a X470 board, there is definitely a price difference. You are paying for more features on the x470 board.

oh i thought you were talking about b350 vs b450

yeah also the only big advantage of x470 is SLI support so he doesnt need that

Just now, Mokilop said:

oh i thought you were talking about b350 vs b450

yeah also the only big advantage of x470 is SLI support so he doesnt need that

Definitely, I agree! :)

6 minutes ago, MajorTmar said:

imo i would not fuck around with overclocking and stuff right after the jump into this so its pretty much gonna be the everyday version also doing some more googling it is safe for me to finalize the mobo and cpu :) thanks for the help

3 minutes ago, Happycowdance said:

ayy this helps atleast i have an estimate btw will it be alright if i cut short on 16 gigs of ram for now i dont feel like i would need that much but thats just a newb assuptiom as for the GPU do you think i can get a cheaper version of it outside the country? i dont mind paying the shipping for it if its a respectable amount :D thanks for the help btw

4 minutes ago, DividerPrime said:

ayy this helps atleast i have an estimate btw will it be alright if i cut short on 16 gigs

newb assuptiom as for the GPU do you think i can get a cheaper version of it outside the country?

1. sure ram is super easy to upgrade anyways just make sure its a 2x4 kit not a 1x8 kit

2. yes. prices in india are greatly inflated you can get one for about 2/3 the price in the US 

2 minutes ago, DividerPrime said:

ayy this helps atleast i have an estimate btw will it be alright if i cut short on 16 gigs of ram for now i dont feel like i would need that much but thats just a newb assuptiom as for the GPU do you think i can get a cheaper version of it outside the country? i dont mind paying the shipping for it if its a respectable amount :D thanks for the help btw

You could grab one stick of 8GB, but I highly recommend 16GB if you are gonna be using it for animation and various other workloads. Games are using more and more RAM every year, so 8GB is not as much as it used to be.

That build they recommended you is very solid. If you need to save some money I would maybe go down to a regular 1070, and if you're looking to cut costs even more then bring the SSD down to a 128gb. These are things that will save you a bit of money, though I would just pull the trigger and get the higher quality parts, because it will save you more money in the long run.

1 minute ago, Happycowdance said:

yes. prices in india are greatly inflated you can get one for about 2/3 the price in the US 

380 for gpu that also has better cooler

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Nsbkcf/zotac-geforce-gtx-1070-ti-8gb-amp-extreme-video-card-zt-p10710b-10p

the one I recommended is a lower end one and in India it cost almost $680

5 minutes ago, MajorTmar said:

You could grab one stick of 8GB, but I highly recommend 16GB if you are gonna be using it for animation and various other workloads. Games are using more and more RAM every year, so 8GB is not as much as it used to be.

That build they recommended you is very solid. If you need to save some money I would maybe go down to a regular 1070, and if you're looking to cut costs even more then bring the SSD down to a 128gb. These are things that will save you a bit of money, though I would just pull the trigger and get the higher quality parts, because it will save you more money in the long run.

aight ill keep that in mind for future and current builds :)

9 minutes ago, Happycowdance said:

380 for gpu that also has better cooler

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Nsbkcf/zotac-geforce-gtx-1070-ti-8gb-amp-extreme-video-card-zt-p10710b-10p

the one I recommended is a lower end one and in India it cost almost $680

btw isnt SLI supposed to in the simple language mean the ability to run more than 1 processor or GPU?