Windows keeps installing old Nvidia GPU drivers

Omie

Recently updated to Windows 1809 build and am trying to install some new GPU drivers for my GTX 1080Ti.

I downloaded DDU as usual and cleaned my drivers. However, upon reboot, Windows automatically installs old Nvidia drivers from like October 27, 2017.

I make sure that in my "Change device installation settings," my settings are set never let windows download drivers automatically for other products. Even with that checked, Windows still installs drivers upon reboot.

I look in my windows update settings and confirm that I see the old drivers being installed in the installed updates history.

I basically turned off my internet and cleaned with DDU and installed the new drivers in order to fix it.

Has anyone else been experiencing this issue? I'm thinking it may be because of build 1809?

windows will always download drivers automatically. but it wont overwrite new drivers with old ones. this is normal. (not because of 1809)

Hi,

I understand that your Windows 10 keeps on installing old drivers for your NVDIA graphics card in your Windows 10 machine. To solve the same issue, please follow the steps given by Rohit Chettri dated April 29, 2015 and check if it helps.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_update/how-to-block-automatic-reinstall-of-a-driver-or/bff07224-4ce2-4b42-ab29-68c3a305d730

Please let me know if the issue is resolved or you need any further assistance.

Thank you.

17 hours ago, Saksham said:

windows will always download drivers automatically. but it wont overwrite new drivers with old ones. this is normal. (not because of 1809)

That's weird because it never happened to me before where Windows automatically downloads the drivers by force. Usually Windows won't automatically download the GPU drivers if I have that setting turned off in "Change device installation settings." I had to basically turn off my internet to get it to stop downloading old drivers and then I installed the new drivers and it didn't overwrite with old drivers (as you mentioned).

if i worked at microsoft i would make windows always download the drivers automatically because it makes the process less painful for people who dont even know what a driver is. they also wont download the latest version in case the newest ones have bugs. when you first plug in a gpu, windows will use an extremely basic driver so you get video. then install the actual one so you can actually use it.