Help with resolution and frequency issues

JinxyKatte

I recently purchased a 2070 armour and am for the most part very happy with the performance of the card.

However I am having a number of issues and I don't know if they are software or hardware related.

Basically when ever I boot up my pc it will most of the time not show the correct resolution on my main display. I currently have 2 monitors connected. One 144hz 1080 connected via display port (1.2) and the other via hdmi 1080p 60hz.

The biggest issue is that when I boot up the 144 monitor locks at 100hz with no options to change under the pc tab in nvidia control panel. I have found that disconnecting both monitors and reconnecting the 144 monitor will fix this issue, then when I connect the other one they are both fine. While this is a work around this is not a satisfactory solution as in addition to just being a pain it will eventually cause the ports to wear out.

I tried this morning disconnecting the hdmi before booting but my monitor booted at a much lower resolution than it should, (i think was 720) and no options to change to 1080, it was only after rebooting twice that it showed both the correct resolution and frequency.

Initially I assumed these issues were to do with the displayport cable I purchased as even though it was advertised as 1.4 I'm pretty sure it was a 1.0 or a 1.1, so I bought a new one with very positive reviews and all indications online seemed to suggest it was a 1.2 which was more than adequate for my needs.

Sadly I am still having the exact same issues, so either the initial cable was fine or the new one is not. This does not explain how it works sometimes though.

I have tried googling all of these issues but can not find anything specific to my problem.

Is there anything you can do to help? Could my 2070 be defective?

IIRC HDMI responds earlier than Dp, so that could be it... but also what do you have set in windows as the main monitor?

I had a similar issue to yours, but with my 4k TV... I can't remember exactly how I resolved it, but think that after trying setting the monitor to 1st display it might have done it. It's either that or I re-installed windows using just the monitor display (DP), and then adding the 4K TV as the extended display.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

7 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

IIRC HDMI responds earlier than Dp, so that could be it... but also what do you have set in windows as the main monitor?

I had a similar issue to yours, but with my 4k TV... I can't remember exactly how I resolved it, but think that after trying setting the monitor to 1st display it might have done it. It's either that or I re-installed windows using just the monitor display (DP), and then adding the 4K TV as the extended display.

Im sure my main monitor is the 144, that being said the msi splash screen has been showing up on the second monitor. 

But all that being said it still does it even when  boot with only the 144 monitor connected. So im confused, its totall ruined my enjoyment of my 2070 tbh. 

16 minutes ago, JinxyKatte said:

Im sure my main monitor is the 144, that being said the msi splash screen has been showing up on the second monitor. 

But all that being said it still does it even when  boot with only the 144 monitor connected. So im confused, its totall ruined my enjoyment of my 2070 tbh. 

Yeah If the splash screen has been showing on the 60hz one that is most likely your problem IMO... not 100%, but that is my best guess.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

20 minutes ago, JinxyKatte said:

Maybe use DDU and reinstall all the drivers and nvidia programs again? Not sure if this will fix it, but always worth a try I suppose. as @paddy-stone just mentioned, if your splash screen is on your 1080P monitor, then most probably windows is using that as its main screen (sounds that way at least) I have the same card and im very happy with it myself too! What kind of Fps do you get @2K 144hz? lets say BFV? Looking to buy a monitor like yours soon myself.

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

2 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Maybe use DDU and reinstall all the drivers and nvidia programs again? Not sure if this will fix it, but always worth a try I suppose. as @paddy-stone just mentioned, if your splash screen is on your 1080P monitor, then most probably windows is using that as its main screen (sounds that way at least) I have the same card and im very happy with it myself too! What kind of Fps do you get @2K 144hz? lets say BFV? Looking to buy a monitor like yours soon myself.

Ill do some more digging, but I still don't get why it would happen with only the 144 connected, and even if that were the case why does it revert to 720p and block out 1920 x 1080? 

As for performances. I have a ryxen 1800x clocked at 4ghz, I have not been able to test a lot lf games, trying to install destiny 2 atm but getting the install bug. But so far

Forza horizon 4.gets me around 90 to 105 fps maxed out. 

Overwatch gets about 180 to 210. 

Monster hunter world about 75 to 85 (so badly optimised) 

Pubg was clearing 100.

@JinxyKatte You could still try DDU and reinstall all nvidia software, it could work, or it couldnt do anything. those FPS should do me I think. Im new to PC gaming, and dont play competitive anyways - anything better then a 1080P @60hz screen haha (office screen).

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Ill try DDU, I do have a new cable on the way, displayport to dvi. I actually got it for the second monitor as I thought the hdmi was causing the issue. Now I might try it on the main monitor. 

The card was a super good buy though, I got it for £430 and was planning to OC it, but overwatch super doesn't like overclocking. 

Right now though its driving me insane. 

2 hours ago, Stormseeker9 said:

@JinxyKatte You could still try DDU and reinstall all nvidia software, it could work, or it couldnt do anything. those FPS should do me I think. Im new to PC gaming, and dont play competitive anyways - anything better then a 1080P @60hz screen haha (office screen).

Have now tried this and the issue still persists. Initially after wiping and reinstalling drivers it was locked at 100hz, then restarted, same. Did the port swap thing and it ran at 144. 

Restarted, still 144. Restarted and then it locks at 720p. Changed ports like 10 times before it goes back to 144.

I can only conclude at this point there is something wrong with the card.

2 hours ago, JinxyKatte said:

Have now tried this and the issue still persists. Initially after wiping and reinstalling drivers it was locked at 100hz, then restarted, same. Did the port swap thing and it ran at 144. 

Restarted, still 144. Restarted and then it locks at 720p. Changed ports like 10 times before it goes back to 144.

I can only conclude at this point there is something wrong with the card.

Doesnt seem hardware related as the actual GPU works, if you would just run the 144hz via DP, what do you then get when booting? 

What does your nvidia panel show under multiple displays? as you also mentioned that you get the boot screen on your other screen.

and also you mentioned you wouldn't have an option to change resolution, what do you see when right clicking desktop and clicking 'display settings'.

do you see same drop down menu as I have or does it also show there only 720 resolution?

nvidia.PNG

display.png

15 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Doesnt seem hardware related as the actual GPU works, if you would just run the 144hz via DP, what do you then get when booting? 

What does your nvidia panel show under multiple displays? as you also mentioned that you get the boot screen on your other screen.

and also you mentioned you wouldn't have an option to change resolution, what do you see when right clicking desktop and clicking 'display settings'.

do you see same drop down menu as I have or does it also show there only 720 resolution?

nvidia.PNG

display.png

Sometimes when I boot with only the 144 monitor via displayport, sometimes it will be fine, with all options intact, up to 1920 x 1080 and under pc options in nvidia control panel it shows 100, 120 and 144 hz. Sometimes it will post with only 100hz available but at 1920 x 1080 but when this happens I very often get this odd pixelation on red things. Like in overwatch in the kill feed for the enemy names. They look terrible compared to the blue names.

But sometimes when I boot with only the 144 monitor the highest resolution it will show me is 1280 by 780, or there abouts. When this happens I either have to reboot, or unplug the cable and replug.

I really doubt its the monitor as I have used it for a year now via dvi with no issues, it could still be the cable I guess but having the exact same issue with 2 cables seems unlikely. And while I agree its odd that it would be a hardware issue when the card otherwise seems fine, I don't know what else to think. Short of a full windows reinstall, which I was trying to avoid I don't know what to do.

I am actually taking the card back tomorrow and getting the next one up. And if that still has the same issue I will try a full reinstall of windows, if that then doesn't work I really don't know what to do other that have to fiddle with the cables every single time I boot up.

24 minutes ago, JinxyKatte said:

---

Sounds very odd indeed, not quite sure what the problem could be. So youre getting the Duke or Gaming Z? Hope that its just a singularity with this card and when you get your new one tomorrow itll be fixed.  Im happy with my Armour but found out that EK wont be making any waterblocks for the 2070, so in a few months will be moving onto a 2080 as eventually want to watercool my pc ( aesthetics)

16 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Sounds very odd indeed, not quite sure what the problem could be. So youre getting the Duke or Gaming Z? Hope that its just a singularity with this card and when you get your new one tomorrow itll be fixed.  Im happy with my Armour but found out that EK wont be making any waterblocks for the 2070, so in a few months will be moving onto a 2080 as eventually want to watercool my pc ( aesthetics)

It's the EVGA 2070.

17 hours ago, Stormseeker9 said:

It's still doing it with the new card, and a new cable lol. I hate everything :(

@JinxyKatte thats annoying. Must be something between windows and the monitors or at least software related. Cant really think of anything right now what might cause it. You've done DDU when you got you're new card?

Perhaps boot into safe mode run DDU, boot back up and install latest WHQL drivers and let us know.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

6 hours ago, Turtle Rig said:

Perhaps boot into safe mode run DDU, boot back up and install latest WHQL drivers and let us know.

Yeah I did DDU when I put in the new card, still doing it lol.

On 1/4/2019 at 1:44 PM, Stormseeker9 said:

So I thought I would update a little, I think I may have solved my issue. And you wanna know how? I found a similar issue from another person who said they unplugged and plugged back in the monitors to fix it. 

Since doing this I have rebooted about 7 times and its still working, previous best was like 2. I can't believe all the things I been through to fix and that's all it took.

@JinxyKatte gosh! Well at least its fixed now. 

6 hours ago, Stormseeker9 said:

@JinxyKatte gosh! Well at least its fixed now. 

Weeeeell. Im hesitantly calling it fixed. I mean about 10 reboots its stil fine, previously record was 2 lol. And I got a better card out of it lol. 

6 hours ago, JinxyKatte said:

Weeeeell. Im hesitantly calling it fixed. I mean about 10 reboots its stil fine, previously record was 2 lol. And I got a better card out of it lol. 

Not sure how much better a EVGA 2070 is from a armour 2070? 2070=2070 with maybe a factory OC. I’m running 2050mhz in boost on mine.

3 hours ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Not sure how much better a EVGA 2070 is from a armour 2070? 2070=2070 with maybe a factory OC. I’m running 2050mhz in boost on mine.

I was actually thinking the same thing, and I was planning to just overclock it. But as I play a lot of Overwatch and that game super doesnt like overclocks it immediately got the "lost rendering device" bug and I had to remove all the overclocks and even then I had been plagued by the issue on even my new card. Even did it once yesterday until I turned off shadows on the advice of a forum post which seems to have fixed that issue (I hope)

I think the card has better cooling, and looks nicer and has a stronger backplate on it (serious my armour was sagging so much I had to prop it up)

I have now restarted my pc so many times since apparently fixing my issue that I am almost ready to accept its actually fixed, I still don't know whether to be pissed off or not, I mean seriously I unplugged and plugged back in the monitor power cable? I don't even understand how that fixed it, but what ever. I finally feel like after a literal week of not enjoying my new card I finally can, seriously nothing will ruin your enjoyment of a £500 graphics card more than not knowing whether or not it will boot correctly every single time you turn the pc on. And I wiped windows and all, so I have a lot of setting things up to do, but thats fine I guess. I hope you don't have the same issue when you switch to a 144hz monitor and you totally should. 

4 hours ago, JinxyKatte said:

I was actually thinking the same thing, and I was planning to just overclock it. But as I play a lot of Overwatch and that game super doesnt like overclocks it immediately got 

I think the card has better cooling, and looks nicer and has a stronger backplate on it (serious my armour was sagging so much I had to prop it up)

Not sure if it might be due to your socket, but I have very minimal sag. might be a optic thing as I have a mid tower case (meshify C) - so it might be really bad just cant see it.

Was planning on buying a bracket ( bought the one from MSI but my case is too small for it - need to sell it just havent got round to it) 

On 1/9/2019 at 3:38 PM, Stormseeker9 said:

Not sure if it might be due to your socket, but I have very minimal sag. might be a optic thing as I have a mid tower case (meshify C) - so it might be really bad just cant see it.

Was planning on buying a bracket ( bought the one from MSI but my case is too small for it - need to sell it just havent got round to it) 

I ended up propping mine up with a tiny model lol.