Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

bottleneck

Go to solution Solved by _StrikE_,
1 hour ago, Alex Popescu RO said:

what do you mean? to upgrade GPU or CPU? i was thinking to buy a new CPU like a i5... not very expenssive

About the CPU what i did was explaining how the bottleneck can scale with resolution in favor of the CPU rather then the GPU, lets see how can we make this more simple:

Let's say person A has a decent 1080p gaming PC. Now Person A will use max settings for all of his tests,  the only thing he will change is the resolution.  At 1080p in games let's say he has constant 100FPS and his GPU and CPU are in sync neither bottlenecking each other. But if Person A lowers the resolution from 1080p to 720p and plays again his even though his GPU is capable of doing 180 FPS it can only do 140 FPS because the CPU can't keep up calculating at that much speed for more then 140 FPS, thus a CPU bottleneck is created and the GPU has some breathing room. But if Person A does in reverse, going from 1080p to 4k, this time the GPU will be fully loaded doing just 45 FPS, and even though the CPU could do more calculations (up to 130 as we seen at lower resolutions) it doesn't have a way to do them thus now the CPU is having breathing room.

To go further in depth since games are complex programs, not simple constants, the loads on the GPU and CPU will vary depending on things rendered on screens, for example: when there's a lot of NPC's with their instructions for various actions it will be more strained for the CPU, meanwhile if the scene relies more on foliage such as detailed trees or grass things can get more heavy for the GPU, of course the opposite applies, if there's places with few NPC's the load on the CPU will be lessen, and if there's a place with almost no foliage the strain on the GPU will lessen. Because of things like this frames can get chaotic, jumping up to 90 FPS for example in a desolated place and dropping to 45 in crowded areas. Such situations can cause stutters. 

Basically, very roughly this is the theory behind bottlenecking. So in other words, getting back to you, just in case you had a higher then 1080p screen i said that you can lessen the bottleneck on the CPU by increasing the resolution. Or you can use one of the V-Sync options, thus the frames will be limited to your monitor's refresh rate and the jump between minimum and maximum frames wont be that severe. Again though your choice was the right one, the RX580 in other words a graphics card was the best upgrade path now, it can benefit your current PC even if the CPU will slow it down a little, and even if you want better performance from other parts the graphic card can just be used together with a different upgrade (ie even if you would decide to upgrade the whole machine).

I hope i made things more simple now.

PS: Yes, an I5 would do a better job keeping up with the 580, also there are games which are designed for 4 threads now days, your cpu stuttering just because its limited to 2 threads, like Skyrim, some of the Assassins Creed games, Fallout 4, Dragon Age Inquisition, etc.

Hi guys, I have just one question, if rx 580 8 gb strix will bottleneck with a dual core, cpu is a g870 3.1 ghz, i buy rx 580 because i found to a very good price, it was like 150 dollars, im still waiting for delivery. Im waiting for a response. Thanks

it will bottleneck in 1080p (i assume that with your budget), except for really gpu bound games. you could upgrade it if you're not happy with the performence you get, but otherwise you can just let it bottleneck

To not create confusion the bottleneck can be reduced as your resolution gets higher not the other way around, since the higher the res the more the usage/strain shifts more towards the GPU then the CPU. That said, no problem even if it bottlenecks (unless you don't like how your games run then you need to upgrade the rest), i recommend keeping v-sync on though (i presume you have a 60Hz monitor) to reduce framerates beign all over the place. Its good going GPU first as that can benefit your current system to. 

PS: what PSU ?

what do you mean? to upgrade GPU or CPU? i was thinking to buy a new CPU like a i5... not very expenssive

30 minutes ago, Alex Popescu RO said:

No no no, going for a GPU was the right choice that's what i said, :p. I will elaborate the story again in just a moment but do share what your power supply is just for safety in the meanwhile.

1 hour ago, Alex Popescu RO said:

About the CPU what i did was explaining how the bottleneck can scale with resolution in favor of the CPU rather then the GPU, lets see how can we make this more simple:

Let's say person A has a decent 1080p gaming PC. Now Person A will use max settings for all of his tests,  the only thing he will change is the resolution.  At 1080p in games let's say he has constant 100FPS and his GPU and CPU are in sync neither bottlenecking each other. But if Person A lowers the resolution from 1080p to 720p and plays again his even though his GPU is capable of doing 180 FPS it can only do 140 FPS because the CPU can't keep up calculating at that much speed for more then 140 FPS, thus a CPU bottleneck is created and the GPU has some breathing room. But if Person A does in reverse, going from 1080p to 4k, this time the GPU will be fully loaded doing just 45 FPS, and even though the CPU could do more calculations (up to 130 as we seen at lower resolutions) it doesn't have a way to do them thus now the CPU is having breathing room.

To go further in depth since games are complex programs, not simple constants, the loads on the GPU and CPU will vary depending on things rendered on screens, for example: when there's a lot of NPC's with their instructions for various actions it will be more strained for the CPU, meanwhile if the scene relies more on foliage such as detailed trees or grass things can get more heavy for the GPU, of course the opposite applies, if there's places with few NPC's the load on the CPU will be lessen, and if there's a place with almost no foliage the strain on the GPU will lessen. Because of things like this frames can get chaotic, jumping up to 90 FPS for example in a desolated place and dropping to 45 in crowded areas. Such situations can cause stutters. 

Basically, very roughly this is the theory behind bottlenecking. So in other words, getting back to you, just in case you had a higher then 1080p screen i said that you can lessen the bottleneck on the CPU by increasing the resolution. Or you can use one of the V-Sync options, thus the frames will be limited to your monitor's refresh rate and the jump between minimum and maximum frames wont be that severe. Again though your choice was the right one, the RX580 in other words a graphics card was the best upgrade path now, it can benefit your current PC even if the CPU will slow it down a little, and even if you want better performance from other parts the graphic card can just be used together with a different upgrade (ie even if you would decide to upgrade the whole machine).

I hope i made things more simple now.

PS: Yes, an I5 would do a better job keeping up with the 580, also there are games which are designed for 4 threads now days, your cpu stuttering just because its limited to 2 threads, like Skyrim, some of the Assassins Creed games, Fallout 4, Dragon Age Inquisition, etc.

i have a 550w power supply

i was thinking to a i5 3570, here in Romania i found a lot under 50 dollars

5 hours ago, Alex Popescu RO said:

i have a 550w power supply

i was thinking to a i5 3570, here in Romania i found a lot under 50 dollars

Oh ? Your mobo works with ivy bridge ? Then that's really great, i only looked up the market quickly and they looked a bit scarce compared to the i5 3570 but do try to aim first for a i7 3770 (if it supports i5 it should support i7 after all :p)  for instance this one isn't that far from the regular price of an i5 3570 in the RO market: https://www.olx.ro/oferta/procesot-i7-3770-sk-1155-IDbTrWU.html#8086a05837  It would actually be a very good match like that for the RX580, especially since the latest games tend to take more and more advantage of more then 4 threads, of course if it doesn't work out money wise you should get the i5-3570, but it would be a shame not to take advantage of those extra threads.

Also, unfortunately 550w doesn't say much, please specify the exact model of your power supply. Last but not least, when replying make sure to quote one of my posts (or the posts of the person your talking with in one of your topic (since i/he will get a notification), otherwise there's a good chance i will miss your reply since the activity on this forums is quite large... Even now i only came upon it by accident.

PS: since you got me curious about it what is your mobo model exactly ?

hello, my rx 580 arrived, its start but my pc can t run, now i upgrade my bios, its good if i do that?

its start, the video graphics work but he can open and run the windows, now i do my upgrades and i hope to work

first thing that appear on my screen is (preparing for repair), and then appears (automatic repair couldn t repair your PC), what should i do?