I desperately need your help. Before we start here are my specs

i7 8700k

EVGA GTX 1080ti Black

16gb Corsair RGB DDR4 Ram

MSI z370 Gaming Plus

Corsair 650w power supply

2 500gb SanDisk SSDs

1 500gb Samsung HDD

My issue is that my PC is freezing during gaming sessions with no errors and I can NOT figure out why. I play Dota 2, CSGO, Rocket League, and all of my Oculus Rift games without crashing. When I play COD Black ops 4, Sea of Thieves, Fortnite, Escape from Tarkov, my PC screen freezes with audio continuing. I can NOT alt+f4 out and I have to manually reboot my computer. I have tried so many things. I have wiped my windows and drives and started fresh to no avail, I have rolled back drivers, I have installed using DDU. I have ran CPU and GPU stress tests and no freezing there. I have ran memtest86 with 0 errors. I do have an issue however when I run timespy that my screen freezes just like when I play games. I am about to give up and start replacing hardware unless someone knows a better solution. I am assuming that it is a bad PSU or GPU but I don't have extras to throw in sadly.

Honestly, I would put this down to PSU alone. I've had the same issue with a 650W Bronze PSU, when I changed to a 750W Gold, my freezing, poor performance and stuttering disappeared completely. However, I would also get it sorted quickly or don't use your PC until you've replaced the PSU. Using a bad PSU can cause your GPU to fail quickly or even kill it completely.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

1 minute ago, Brennan_Price said:

Honestly, I would put this down to PSU alone. I've had the same issue and when I changed my power supply suddenly I stopped getting the errors. However, I would also get it sorted quickly or don't use your PC until you've replaced the PSU. Using a bad PSU can cause your GPU to fail quickly or even kill it completely.

^^^ What model PSU is it? Corsair has budget units that I wouldn't trust to drive such expensive hardware, and then also literal godlike units that are some of the best in the business. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

I want to say it is a modular Cx 650. I have thought about changing PSU out ASAP but I wanted to make sure it wasn't something else first.

5 minutes ago, MrPulsee said:

I want to say it is a modular Cx 650. I have thought about changing PSU out ASAP but I wanted to make sure it wasn't something else first.

If it's the older green label CX unit I'd swap it out and see if that's the issue. Though a dude on a discord server I'm in has powered some pretty hungry hardware off a green label CX with no issues. Considering a new PSU is probably the single cheapest piece to buy for troubleshooting your rig though, I'd start with that. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

4 minutes ago, MrPulsee said:

That PSU is not the worst thing in the world but I reckon it cannot provide enough power across your whole system. Upgrade to something that can provide more power across all of its rails and make sure it can provide more stability and you'll probably be alright :) Can't go wrong with a 750W Gold rated PSU.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

17 minutes ago, Brennan_Price said:

That PSU is not the worst thing in the world but I reckon it cannot provide enough power across your whole system. Upgrade to something that can provide more power across all of its rails and make sure it can provide more stability and you'll probably be alright :) Can't go wrong with a 750W Gold rated PSU.

Wattage wise he should be fine though, I've ran a 980 Ti off a CX450M and an R7 2700X and Vega Frontier Edition off a 650W, for an i7 and 1080 Ti 650W is fine, 550W would do the job too. 

Main PC 

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

Wattage wise he should be fine though, I've ran a 980 Ti off a CX450M and an R7 2700X and Vega Frontier Edition off a 650W, for an i7 and 1080 Ti 650W is fine, 550W would do the job too. 

Yeah true, I just feel that something slightly more powerful will decrease the load on the PSU and therefore make his system more stable plus last longer. Not needed though of course :) 

My Rig:

1 minute ago, Brennan_Price said:

Yeah true, I just feel that something slightly more powerful will decrease the load on the PSU and therefore make his system more stable plus last longer. Not needed though of course :) 

I think the efficiency curve for a PSU changes depending on the unit, but they all can stably output their rated wattage, the efficiency rating just shows how much they pull from the wall to supply that wattage to the PC, higher rated units lose less to inefficiency. Stability shouldn't be an issue unless your hardware tries to pull more wattage than the PSU can supply. 

Main PC 

Well guys, I just went to my amazing local Best Buy and bought a EVGA 850W GQ Gold so we'll see :)

2 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

I think the efficiency curve for a PSU changes depending on the unit, but they all can stably output their rated wattage, the efficiency rating just shows how much they pull from the wall to supply that wattage to the PC, higher rated units lose less to inefficiency. Stability shouldn't be an issue unless your hardware tries to pull more wattage than the PSU can supply. 

Well, I think I have ruled out PSU, bought the new one and got it up and running and I started to artifact in Escape From Tarkov. Any idea on how to go about getting a RMA from EVGA or Newegg?

5 minutes ago, MrPulsee said:

Well, I think I have ruled out PSU, bought the new one and got it up and running and I started to artifact in Escape From Tarkov. Any idea on how to go about getting a RMA from EVGA or Newegg?

For EVGA you should be able to chat with their support guys on their site during normal business hours, they're freaking amazing and usually solve stuff in just a few minutes. Heck my friend will sometimes just message them with random questions about sorting out performance issues and they help him out (he had an EVGA 1050 Ti, just got a Zotac 1060 though). 

Main PC 

There is a live chat? I have not been able to find that

Also, I just ran a benchmark using Intel Integrated Graphics and it worked no problem. So im starting to believe more and more that the GPU is dead.

If you're still within the time frame for Newegg RMA, I think you deal with them instead of EVGA.  Go into your Newegg profile and look for Returns, it's a pretty simple process and they usually do a good job with customer service.

I'm not within Newegg RMA. I've contacted EVGA hopefully they can help out.