New audio solution well balanced for gaming, music and movies.

Clonzoo

So, recently my G35 left earcup broke and is now only held up by the wires connecting the two earcups together and a few strips I put in place so I can actually use it until I get something new. 
I was thinking about going for a 2nd pair of the g35 or g930 because I like the headset. The Dolby 7.1 surround is amazing. However the sound for movies and music is a little flat and there ain't much bass to talk about. So I've been thinking about trying something new. I've been looking at other headset and reviews I however can't decide. I do like the G35's because they are comfortable, some people think they fit more or less like a condom around your head but they isolate sound good, both for the wearer and those around you, and I like it. The mic on the headset is good enough, I haven't got any complains about it, however its not the best mic in the world by any stretch of the imagination. So I wanna try something new, I need 7.1 for gaming and I also want a well balanced audio quality for all uses, gaming, movies and music. I like bass, as many other, so I would like a pair that can pack a good punch. It doesn't need to be a headset with a mic, however if there ain't no mic I will need that aswell. I am not going higher then €357 which is 3000 in the Norwegian currency. I also want to say that prices vary alot from country to country. My pc is at around €1787 but In america for instance it would be around €1500 or less, just to put things into perspective. However there is one criteria when spending so much and that is, It needs to last. Preferably for well over 2 years. So in short. I want a headset that is well constructed, comfortable, with good all around usage for gaming, but also movies and music. 7.1 is a must. and if there isn't a mic I will need one, it can be an audio file grade headset, but again 7.1 needs to be an option. I do not have a dedicated soundcard but I am currently running the Msi z87 - g45 which is said to have a good onboard solution with audio boost. And lastly, I am not an audio freak and I have a feeling most of you know alot more then me so be sure to explain if you are using some terms that is not self explanatory.

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

So, recently my G35 left earcup broke and is now only held up by the wires connecting the two earcups together and a few strips I put in place so I can actually use it until I get something new. 

I was thinking about going for a 2nd pair of the g35 or g930 because I like the headset. The Dolby 7.1 surround is amazing. However the sound for movies and music is a little flat and there ain't much bass to talk about. So I've been thinking about trying something new. I've been looking at other headset and reviews I however can't decide. I do like the G35's because they are comfortable, some people think they fit more or less like a condom around your head but they isolate sound good, both for the wearer and those around you, and I like it. The mic on the headset is good enough, I haven't got any complains about it, however its not the best mic in the world by any stretch of the imagination. So I wanna try something new, I need 7.1 for gaming and I also want a well balanced audio quality for all uses, gaming, movies and music. I like bass, as many other, so I would like a pair that can pack a good punch. It doesn't need to be a headset with a mic, however if there ain't no mic I will need that aswell. I am not going higher then €357 which is 3000 in the Norwegian currency. I also want to say that prices vary alot from country to country. My pc is at around €1787 but In america for instance it would be around €1500 or less, just to put things into perspective. However there is one criteria when spending so much and that is, It needs to last. Preferably for well over 2 years. So in short. I want a headset that is well constructed, comfortable, with good all around usage for gaming, but also movies and music. 7.1 is a must. and if there isn't a mic I will need one, it can be an audio file grade headset, but again 7.1 needs to be an option. I do not have a dedicated soundcard but I am currently running the Msi z87 - g45 which is said to have a good onboard solution with audio boost. And lastly, I am not an audio freak and I have a feeling most of you know alot more then me so be sure to explain if you are using some terms that is not self explanatory.

First off, your onboard is good enough for most headphones. Secondly, for "surround", I recommend you try to rather set all the settings you find to "Headphone", or if you absolutely want surround, get Razer Surround, supposed to be as good as all other virtual surround software, and it's free, and you can use it however you want. 

Now, for headphones, I obviously recommend getting headphones and a separate mic. For gaming, open headphones are usually best, as they have wide soundstages, which then helps with positional audio, without that mumbo jumbo surround. Considering you also want heaps of bass, you'd want to take a look at Beyerdynamic DT990. http://www.prolyd.no/Avdelinger/produkter/Hodetelefoner/%C3%85pent/Beyerdynamic/Beyerdynamic-DT990-Pro-250-OHM-5---35-000-Hz--250ohm--%C3%A5pen-hodetelefon-29110-p0000002683 These are 250 ohm, so they will need some form of amplification. I think (not sure) that your motherboard has a 600 ohm headphone amp, which should push the 990's nicely, but they might have issues with lower impedance headphones, but I'm not entirely sure, if any of the pros around here see this, feel free to correct me if I am wrong. 

Then you'll need a dedicated mic too, you can either get this: http://cdon.no/elektronikk/zalman/zalman-zm-mic1-microphone-headphone-microphone-p21220744?utm_source=prisjakt&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=Zalman+mikrofon+med+clip&utm_content=21220744&utm_campaign=prisjakt_no_Headset+-+Fullsize and save up for a better mic, or just get the better mic first off, like the Blue Snowball, sadly these are only available at the Apple store here in Norway: http://store.apple.com/no/product/TX674LL/A/blue-microphones-snowball-mikrofon?afid=p231%7Ccamref%3Aiimt&cid=AOS-NO-Aff-PHG

You are norwegian, right? 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

First off, your onboard is good enough for most headphones. Secondly, for "surround", I recommend you try to rather set all the settings you find to "Headphone", or if you absolutely want surround, get Razer Surround, supposed to be as good as all other virtual surround software, and it's free, and you can use it however you want. 

Now, for headphones, I obviously recommend getting headphones and a separate mic. For gaming, open headphones are usually best, as they have wide soundstages, which then helps with positional audio, without that mumbo jumbo surround. Considering you also want heaps of bass, you'd want to take a look at Beyerdynamic DT990. http://www.prolyd.no/Avdelinger/produkter/Hodetelefoner/%C3%85pent/Beyerdynamic/Beyerdynamic-DT990-Pro-250-OHM-5---35-000-Hz--250ohm--%C3%A5pen-hodetelefon-29110-p0000002683 These are 250 ohm, so they will need some form of amplification. I think (not sure) that your motherboard has a 600 ohm headphone amp, which should push the 990's nicely, but they might have issues with lower impedance headphones, but I'm not entirely sure, if any of the pros around here see this, feel free to correct me if I am wrong. 

Then you'll need a dedicated mic too, you can either get this: http://cdon.no/elektronikk/zalman/zalman-zm-mic1-microphone-headphone-microphone-p21220744?utm_source=prisjakt&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=Zalman+mikrofon+med+clip&utm_content=21220744&utm_campaign=prisjakt_no_Headset+-+Fullsize and save up for a better mic, or just get the better mic first off, like the Blue Snowball, sadly these are only available at the Apple store here in Norway: http://store.apple.com/no/product/TX674LL/A/blue-microphones-snowball-mikrofon?afid=p231%7Ccamref%3Aiimt&cid=AOS-NO-Aff-PHG

You are norwegian, right? 

Yes that motherboard does have a 600ohm amp so you will be fine with a 250ohm dt990. It should be fine with low impedance headphones too. Another option for a mic would be modmic if you want something attached to your headphones. They do ship international from the US but I do not know how much VAT and shipping will cost. 

Yeah, I'm Norwegian. What do you use?

Edit: I said I want them to pack a punch, but heap of bass, It depends what you mean by heap. Not my kind of heap, but I want something that can deliver more bass then my g35 can :)

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

If you're referring to audio equipment, I have a pair of Shure SRH440's with 840 pads, a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50's, and Sennheiser PC360. I use onboard audio on my Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, and I also have an ASUS Xonar D2X soundcard, but I'm not using it.

I don't like surround in headphones, I just run regular stereo. What virtual surround does is mix the sounds, make it all sound weird and muddy and echo-ey. in games, I set my audio to just "headphones", which usually gives me an alright sense of direction, but I use closed headphones most of the time, which have a very in-head sound, not very good for positional audio. 

Yes that motherboard does have a 600ohm amp so you will be fine with a 250ohm dt990. It should be fine with low impedance headphones too. Another option for a mic would be modmic if you want something attached to your headphones. They do ship international from the US but I do not know how much VAT and shipping will cost. 

It might have a high output impedance though, like one of the high-powered ASUS soundcards, but I don't know. 

Edit: I said I want them to pack a punch, but heap of bass, It depends what you mean by heap. Not my kind of heap, but I want something that can deliver more bass then my g35 can :)

DT990's have a bit of bass, more than the G35's. It's a good kind of bass though, not some Beats style fart bass. 

It might have a high output impedance though, like one of the high-powered ASUS soundcards, but I don't know. 

Aight! Still looking for other suggestion guys! Keep em coming!

Just got the DT990 testing them now as we speak, it amazed me that my onboard audio (MSI Z87-G43) was able to drive the 250 Ohms well. I'm still waiting for my Fiio E10 to see if that will further improve the experience. As of now, I can recommend these with ease. I was lucky though, got a display model from Prolyd.no for only 200$ or 1200kr. Damn, I'm smiling from ear to ear. This is amazing..

Everything I post is based of bits and pieces I've read somewhere else.

I have most likely never tested any of the things I recommend or advise against.

Think of me as a information relay, I read it, process it, then post it. 

Just got the DT990 testing them now as we speak, it amazed me that my onboard audio (MSI Z87-G43) was able to drive the 250 Ohms well. I'm still waiting for my Fiio E10 to see if that will further improve the experience. As of now, I can recommend these with ease. I was lucky though, got a display model from Prolyd.no for only 200$ or 1200kr. Damn, I'm smiling from ear to ear. This is amazing..

the only problem is that the FiiO E10 is so overpriced here in Norway, it is literally over double the price here compared to US prices. 

I have the Sennheiser HD439 and a Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D (came with external mic). I don't really need the sound card but, i do think it sounds better.

I was able to pick up the Sennheisers for $50 refurb off Ebay and with the bass mod they are fantastic.

Maybe try an equalizer to get more bass.

I use Audiotechnica M50S (going to sell soon), Beyerdynamic DT770, and Sennheiser PC360 with a Fiio E10 and Asus Maximus VI gene onboard. 

It seems like alot of people have the Sennheiser PC360, is it any good compared to what Lauen recommended? And at what point would you guys recommend getting a dac, I talked to a guy where I came from he said don't even think about getting the spending over 1000 nok headphone without getting a decent dac, then again he claims to be a pro on everything, sometimes what he says is right, other times it terribly wrong. 

I also have the PC360's, but there isn't much bass in them. They run fine off of onboard audio. They sound pretty good, as they're pretty much the same as Sennheiser HD558. a dac/amp is nice if there's something wrong with your onboard, or you want more volume, or you just wanna throw money at something (onboard is usually enough for most headphones)

I also have the PC360's, but there isn't much bass in them. They run fine off of onboard audio. They sound pretty good, as they're pretty much the same as Sennheiser HD558. a dac/amp is nice if there's something wrong with your onboard, or you want more volume, or you just wanna throw money at something (onboard is usually enough for most headphones)

Yeah what Lauen said. I have my Pc360 plugged into my on board and my dt 770 in my fiio e10

Just a little sidetrack here. Damn, it is alot of people who use one the DT series (770/880/990) paired with a E10. I understand that most of the people here has much more equipment than just DT + E10, but still Beyerdynamic makes a good profit on us!

Everything I post is based of bits and pieces I've read somewhere else.

I have most likely never tested any of the things I recommend or advise against.

Think of me as a information relay, I read it, process it, then post it. 

Seems like reviews are just now coming out here in Norway aswell. One of the biggest reviewer gave Sennheiser G4ME Zero 6 starts. Saying its even with Qpad QH-1339. Which have been they're favorite gaming headset for over 3.5 years. I'm thinking about going with the G4ME Zero (Will have to wait for prices as the 2000 nok that I heard about is just guidelines.) for now and if that doesn't turn out to be what I want, I'll go with what Lauen suggested. Unless anyone have had the chance to try the G4ME Zero around here and have a different opinion on them, also, if you guys have seen other reviews on it, I would appreciate a link :) Only thing is there is no release date, atleast not for EU.. :S

http://www.idg.no/pcworld/tester/mobil_gps_lyd/hoyttalereoghodetelefoner/article281406.ece?curPage=3

Definetly the DT 990s if you are looking for a mix of gaming,music and movies.

- Intel i7 3770|Noctua NH-D14 -Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H -8GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 -Evga Sc Signature 2 GTX 680 -Fractal Define R4 -2TB WD Black Caviar -120GB Samsung 840 Pro -Cosair TX 650Watt -Benq XL2420T -CM Storm Quickfire TK -Zowie Ec1 Evo -Fiio E10 -

Audio Technica Ath-AD700x

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry guys! I didn't listen to anyone of you :)

I got the Sennheizer G4ME Zer0. Just go them yesterday. Firstly, the headsets fits like a condom at first, however now that I've gotten used to it I don't mind. Its light weight and is very comfortable. Gaming with the headset is fine, I'd say better then my old G35's. Music in these ones is fantastic, G35 is trash compared to these, have yet not to try them with movies, but I expect them to be just as good. The microphone is also good, perhaps superior to the g35 mic, I haven't had the time to do comparison yet. I'm pretty sure if I went for the Beyerdynamic DT990 I'd would have an even better experience, however my ears are not as sensitive as other when it comes to sound quality and threat me just fine. However, sometime in the future, If I feel like it I will definetly buy them and try them out, you guys speak so warmly of them, so how can I not. Anyways. thanks for all your suggestion, if you are looking for a new gaming headset with awesome audio and a good mic, I'd recommend the G4ME Zer0, however don't listen to me, I don't know shit :)

I'm sorry guys! I didn't listen to anyone of you :)

I got the Sennheizer G4ME Zer0. Just go them yesterday. Firstly, the headsets fits like a condom at first, however now that I've gotten used to it I don't mind. Its light weight and is very comfortable. Gaming with the headset is fine, I'd say better then my old G35's. Music in these ones is fantastic, G35 is trash compared to these, have yet not to try them with movies, but I expect them to be just as good. The microphone is also good, perhaps superior to the g35 mic, I haven't had the time to do comparison yet. I'm pretty sure if I went for the Beyerdynamic DT990 I'd would have an even better experience, however my ears are not as sensitive as other when it comes to sound quality and threat me just fine. However, sometime in the future, If I feel like it I will definetly buy them and try them out, you guys speak so warmly of them, so how can I not. Anyways. thanks for all your suggestion, if you are looking for a new gaming headset with awesome audio and a good mic, I'd recommend the G4ME Zer0, however don't listen to me, I don't know shit :)

Hey now, some people (read: me) prefer the Sennheiser sound.

Hey now, some people (read: me) prefer the Sennheiser sound.

I love it, so I can't blame you.