$500 Gaming PC

LTTFanForever

I'm looking to build a computer with a price point of about $500. I already have a GTX 1050 ti and 600W PSU, so I don't need to upgrade those right now. I want to upgrade to DDR4, maybe an eight core CPU, and standrad features like USB 3.0 and Type C.

Do you guys have any recommendations for components?

Do you have a past case, or HDD you are going to be using? I also need clarifications because you said you already have a 1050 Ti and 6ooW PSU and need to upgrade them. I'm assuming that was a mistype?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($195.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - X370M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($78.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($102.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: ADATA - Ultimate SU650 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($21.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($44.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $444.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-30 16:07 EST-0500

I went a generation old on the CPU to meet your price point. Chose the 1700 over the 1700X or 1800X because the 1700 has a very capable stock cooler, and the other two don't have a stock cooler at all. The case is your call, but you've got $55 to work with and you can go ATX or mATX. This assumes you're good with the 1050 Ti and 660W PSU, although I recommend making sure your 600W PSU isn't garbage-tier or ancient.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

5 hours ago, RAM555789 said:

Do you have a past case, or HDD you are going to be using? I also need clarifications because you said you already have a 1050 Ti and 6ooW PSU and need to upgrade them. I'm assuming that was a mistype?

Sorry I meant I DON'T need to upgrade those. That was a mistype. And I have my own 120gb SSD and 1Tb HDD I will keep, but will need a new case.

5 hours ago, aisle9 said:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($195.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - X370M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($78.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($102.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: ADATA - Ultimate SU650 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($21.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($44.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $444.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-30 16:07 EST-0500

I went a generation old on the CPU to meet your price point. Chose the 1700 over the 1700X or 1800X because the 1700 has a very capable stock cooler, and the other two don't have a stock cooler at all. The case is your call, but you've got $55 to work with and you can go ATX or mATX. This assumes you're good with the 1050 Ti and 660W PSU, although I recommend making sure your 600W PSU isn't garbage-tier or ancient.

That's great! Thanks! Yeah my PSU is a Thermaltake Smart Series 600W, so I think that will work.

18 minutes ago, LTTFanForever said:

That's great! Thanks! Yeah my PSU is a Thermaltake Smart Series 600W, so I think that will work.

Put some of that money towards a Corsair CX or CXM unit, one of the grey-labeled ones. The 600W Smart is not a particularly good PSU. It's probably not going to blow up under load on a system as low-wattage as yours will be, but an upgrade before you try for any crazy overclocks or switch to a beefier GPU would be a wise decision.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

4 hours ago, LTTFanForever said:

I'm looking to build a computer with a price point of about $500. I already have a GTX 1050 ti and 600W PSU, so I don't need to upgrade those right now. I want to upgrade to DDR4, maybe an eight core CPU, and standrad features like USB 3.0 and Type C.

Do you guys have any recommendations for components?

What will you be doing with the rig? Which country? Need os/monitor/peripherals?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

13 hours ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

What will you be doing with the rig? Which country? Need os/monitor/peripherals?

I don't need any peripherals or os. I live in America. And I'd play more recent games like Forza motorsports, Fallout, and get one step closer to VR ready.

13 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Put some of that money towards a Corsair CX or CXM unit, one of the grey-labeled ones. The 600W Smart is not a particularly good PSU. It's probably not going to blow up under load on a system as low-wattage as yours will be, but an upgrade before you try for any crazy overclocks or switch to a beefier GPU would be a wise decision.

I don't want to do any overclocking in the foreseeable future, but it won't hurt to upgrade.

4 minutes ago, LTTFanForever said:

I don't need any peripherals or os. I live in America. And I'd play more recent games like Forza motorsports, Fallout, and get one step closer to VR ready.

you don't need an 8-core for just gaming.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

4 hours ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

Sure, I like that too! Thanks for the suggestion!