Need help choosing new CPU

althsus

I'm currently trying to build a new gaming rig but I'm having a difficult choice choosing a CPU.
I've decided to get either a GTX 1080 or the new RTX 2070 if i can't get my hands on a 1080.
I will be spending a bit for a 3200Mhz RAM.
So far I have a few choices for CPU and I can't choose which would be better for me. I've heard Intel's still superior for gaming purposes but not sure if Intel prices justify its superior performance.
Currently choices are: (prices are NOT in USD)
I5 8600K or I5 9600k (they are literally the same price for me) $450
or more expensive options are Ryzen 7 2700X ($520) or I7 8700 ($570) or i7 8700K ($650)
Probably will get a Cryorig H5 ultimate cooler for the Intel CPU's.
I could afford any of them but I would still like to choose the best value for money + future proof it for 2-3+ years instead of going for best performance.
Currently I have no interest in manually overclocking my CPU but will be trying to make the best use out of the turbo boost technology the CPU's have.

3 minutes ago, althsus said:

future proof

The F word, how dare you

Trust me, with your budget, anything you buy will last a good 5 years. Even if we can't see the future (hence the term future proof being bogus), top end hardware is hardly likely to go unusable come small passage of time.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Even if we can't see the future (hence the term future proof being bogus), top end hardware is hardly likely to go unusable come small passage of time.

I feel like people constantly mess up "future proof" with "long lasting".

Most of the time when I see people trying to build "future proof" systems, they just want it to last a long time.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

17 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I feel like people constantly mess up "future proof" with "long lasting".

Most of the time when I see people trying to build "future proof" systems, they just want it to last a long time.

Pretty much, I just want it to last a bit so I don't spend so much every year or every two years.

So Ryzen 2700X will I guess cost as much as i5 9600K + cooler. Will it give me better performance even though 9600k can turbo boost to 4.6ghz? Asking because I'm curious if the extra cores and threads will give better performance despite slightly lower clock speed.

I'm assuming that none of these CPU's should bottleneck a GTX 1080?

if your getting ram with that speed it's benifitial to get a Ryzen 7th Gen cpu. I have a 2700x and 3200mhz ram and get extremely good preformance on any game or task I run. A cheaper option would be a 2600 which still offers amazing preformance. 

Just now, Ethan Schoonbee said:

I have a 2700x and 3200mhz ram and get extremely good preformance on any game or task I run.

And I run a 1600 with DDR4-2133 memory, still get amazing performance.

I don't believe in the whole "Ryzen needs fast RAM" deal.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

2 minutes ago, althsus said:

Pretty much, I just want it to last a bit so I don't spend so much every year or every two years.

So Ryzen 2700X will I guess cost as much as i5 9600K + cooler. Will it give me better performance even though 9600k can turbo boost to 4.6ghz? Asking because I'm curious if the extra cores and threads will give better performance despite slightly lower clock speed.

I'm assuming that none of these CPU's should bottleneck a GTX 1080?

Intel cpus have higher single core preformance as they run at a higher frequency. The 2700x is the best multi core preforming cpu I have ever owned. Intel cpus will preform a little better in gaming but I promise with this high a fps you won't notice the diffrence. Plus the included cooler with the 2700x is quite good. 

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

And I run a 1600 with DDR4-2133 memory, still get amazing performance.

I don't believe in the whole "Ryzen needs fast RAM" deal.

nah it doesn't really matter. it's just that Ryzen benifit from ram speed more than Intel cpus. my old pc was a 1700 and 2666mhz ram and It ran amazingly. I also don't really understand the technical side of the argument but it does give a small advantage. nothing to be super exited about tho 

2 minutes ago, Ethan Schoonbee said:

nah it doesn't really matter. it's just that Ryzen benifit from ram speed more than Intel cpus. my old pc was a 1700 and 2666mhz ram and It ran amazingly. I also don't really understand the technical side of the argument but it does give a small advantage. nothing to be super exited about tho 

Most people wouldn't notice the performance difference unless they're really power users or pay insanely close attention to that kind of stuff.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Most people wouldn't notice the performance difference unless they're really power users or pay insanely close attention to that kind of stuff.

True... I'm one of them :(

2 hours ago, Ethan Schoonbee said:

Intel cpus have higher single core preformance as they run at a higher frequency. The 2700x is the best multi core preforming cpu I have ever owned. Intel cpus will preform a little better in gaming but I promise with this high a fps you won't notice the diffrence. Plus the included cooler with the 2700x is quite good. 

I would assume the Ryzen would bottleneck the 1080 more than the intel due to lower single core speeds? but would it be insignificant enough to not have any performance difference?

9 minutes ago, althsus said:

I would assume the Ryzen would bottleneck the 1080 more than the intel but would it be insignificant enough to not have any performance difference?

there Is no bottle neck with a 2700x. Ryzen Cpus are expremely powerful. The just preform a small margin slower in single core processes. You will not get any bottlenecking even with 5th Gen Ryzen cpus. Many people have a misconception that Ryzen is worse. It's not it just offers a diffrent type of power. Ryzen has more cores and threads meaning it can run multiple tasks at once with high preformance. Intel can run one task with much more power because it does not focus o  the other tasks. This is because it has less cores and threads and each core is at a higher frequency. You can put a Titan X in with a 2700x and get 0 bottle necking. 

3 minutes ago, Ethan Schoonbee said:

there Is no bottle neck with a 2700x. Ryzen Cpus are expremely powerful. The just preform a small margin slower in single core processes. You will not get any bottlenecking even with 5th Gen Ryzen cpus. Many people have a misconception that Ryzen is worse. It's not it just offers a diffrent type of power. Ryzen has more cores and threads meaning it can run multiple tasks at once with high preformance. Intel can run one task with much more power because it does not focus o  the other tasks. This is because it has less cores and threads and each core is at a higher frequency. You can put a Titan X in with a 2700x and get 0 bottle necking. 

Alrighty, thanks. I was really considering Ryzen 7 but didn't know how good they are. This will save me quite a bit

5 hours ago, althsus said:

Alrighty, thanks. I was really considering Ryzen 7 but didn't know how good they are. This will save me quite a bit

No problem man if you need any more help just ask :)

13 hours ago, Ethan Schoonbee said:

No problem man if you need any more help just ask :)

Thanks. Quick question then now that I ordered a Ryzen 7, I was originally thinking of getting an ASUS Prime B450 or Asrock B450 Prime motherboard but my friend is telling me to get a X470 because the VRM capabilities of B450 is to weak for stock boosting performance of a Ryzen 7. Would it be better to invest more for an ASUS X470 Prime motherboard?

I know you've said that the memory stick speed really doesn't matter despite how people are hyping it to be. So whether I get Samsung b-die chips would be insignificant right?