Windows Server Questions

ChaseB

I am currently using UnRaid for my NAS and Application Use.I am having a lot of issues with UnRaid though. I would like to move over to windows server. I do have a main concern. On UnRaid I have a Cache pile made of 3 250GB SSDs. All of the data we write to the server goes through the SSDs and then a mover moves it to cold storage later made of 4 3tb HDDs. I want to know if windows server can do this and how. I don't want to loose this feature.

I would also like to know if I can limit a share Gig size. I.E , instead of giving a share access to the full 6tb, it only gets 500GB. 

Does windows server also work with mac and Time machine. 

Thanks,

Chase B

Chase B
Sound Tech and GPU Expert

Are You New? Please Click on these links to help you out. Code Of Conduct | LTT Beginners Guide 

Yes this is possible with storage spaces. It is similar in that it is essentially software raid. You can read more about it here. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/storage-spaces/understand-the-cache

My system-Core i7 6950X, AsusX99 DeluxeII, 128gb Crucial DDR4, Corsair 900D Titan X, Asus Thunderbolt EXII Card,Quadro M4000,Intel X540 network card

Yes Windows Storage Spaces has both Write-Back Cache called Journal as well as Tiering where active data will be moved up to the SSDs as needed then moved back down to HDDs.

Windows Server can also do quotas, this is done using the File Server Resource Manager role. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/fsrm/fsrm-overview