Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Upgrading workstation pc

Hi guys,

 

I just graduated mechanical engineering and need to up grade my desktop pc for a more serious work load since i have been using my macbook pro 2015 running bootcamp through out my schooling. It has been a great companion and has been reliable running solidworks with decent size assemblies and simulations but just wont cut it for professional work with larger tasks.  i will be running mostly solidworks and autocad. I currently have a Asus P6X58D Premium mother board with a I7 with 6 cores(not sure what gen or speed) , as for ram whats currently in there is Kingston 6 GB triple channel (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9. And for graphics is a really old amd 1gb card. OS is windows 10 Pro

currently what i have planned for upgrading is:

-24GB (3x8GB) Kingston HyperX Fury Black 1600MHz 

-PNY nVidia Quadro P4000 8GB

-Kingston A400 960GB SATA3 6Gb/s 2.5" Max Seq.Read:500MB/s,Max Seq.Write:450MB/s 

 

i know most of this stuff is not all bleeding edge tech like DDR4 and Nvme M2.0 SSD, my mother board is like 8 years old. I have been contemplating building a whole new PC but its really not in the budget for me. Does anyone have any suggestions if im going about anything wrong or can for see any issues i could run in to?

 

Thanks.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Abdullahqsc said:

I7 with 6 cores(not sure what gen or speed

 

3 minutes ago, Abdullahqsc said:

Kingston 6 GB triple channel

Definitely first gen i7, on the LGA 1366 socket.

 

4 minutes ago, Abdullahqsc said:

currently what i have planned for upgrading is:

-24GB (3x8GB) Kingston HyperX Fury Black 1600MHz 

-PNY nVidia Quadro P4000 8GB

-Kingston A400 960GB SATA3 6Gb/s 2.5" Max Seq.Read:500MB/s,Max Seq.Write:450MB/s 

This looks really solid. However, I don't know if solidworks or AutoCAD use cuda acceleration in any way, so the quadro may be useless to you (it's something that you should definitely find out if you don't already know). The ram increase is gonna help a lot, when my friend does renders it's super ram intensive, and the multi core CPU does wonders. On top of that, an SSD just flat out improves everything.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1st gen i7, don't know much about workstation components though?

Also, congrats on graduation

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

This looks really solid. However, I don't know if solidworks or AutoCAD use cuda acceleration in any way, so the quadro may be useless to you (it's something that you should definitely find out if you don't already know). The ram increase is gonna help a lot, when my friend does renders it's super ram intensive, and the multi core CPU does wonders. On top of that, an SSD just flat out improves everything.

everything Iv read said that Solidworks really benefits from the quadro GPU  even the p2000 beats the titan xp supposedly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Abdullahqsc said:

everything Iv read said that Solidworks really benefits from the quadro GPU  even the p2000 beats the titan xp supposedly.

If there's quadro driver support for your tasks then I highly recommend it.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×