Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PC keeps freezing

BunnMan

I just built a new system, installed all the recommended and necesary drivers, but the PC started freezing every couple minutes or so.
I tried to troubleshoot for any faulty hardware, only to find out, that all the hardware is working properly, so then I started to think about the possible faulty drivers.
Did troubleshooting for the drivers as well, but had no luck there either, so I tried installing a different OS. 4 times to be exact.
Nothing that I've tried to do, to troubleshoot why my PC keeps freezing, worked. Don't know if this is connected to the issue, but one of my CS:GO files keeps changing after every game I play, so I get kicked because of VAC a lot.

PC idles at 37 (celsius), when gaming arround 70.

PC's hardware:

ASUS TUF Z390-PLUS

intel core i5 9600k

Cooler Master 212 EVO

G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16GB 3200MHz

KFA2 GTX 1070Ti

Crucial BX500 240GB SSD
WD Blue 2TB HDD

Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD

LC Power LC6650 650W

what happens within Windows task manager? is one process using up resources it shouldnt? 

what about resource monitor? you can see network activity and Drive activity as well, anything seem off?

1 minute ago, thx1138 said:

what happens within Windows task manager? is one process using up resources it shouldnt? 

what about resource monitor? you can see network activity and Drive activity as well, anything seem off?

everything seems pretty much normal, except from the fact, that when the PC idles, it uses arround 4GB of RAM, looked through every task in task manager, found nothing out of the ordinary, same with resource monitor. Drive and network activity is fine too.

do you have the latest BIOS? Bios settings set to default?

4gb seems quite high, though I dont use win10 so I dont actually know the normal. Win10 is good at hiding whats taking up resources. maybe try to restart completely offline and see if it still gets up to 4?

technically it could be the PSU being faulty, but its unlikely. 

Just now, thx1138 said:

do you have the latest BIOS? Bios settings set to default?

4gb seems quite high, though I dont use win10 so I dont actually know the normal.

bios is lastest, settings set to default. I'm currently reinstalling windows with the "asus QI" set to disabled, to see if that might work, since that is a default program that pretty much tells me which drivers are recommended to install (a lot of intel drivers, that I never installed on my previous machine).
on my previous PC, i had arround 2-2,5GB of RAM usage when idling

wait....that PSU!!!! is that a Great Wall?

It's an LC power PSU. Had a similar one in my previous build, had no issues whatsoever with it.

okay...actually that PSU is pretty bad, and could cause a bad ripple effect on the hardware, especially if the wall power isnt especially good, I would return if you can and replace. with better,

okay...actually that PSU is pretty bad, and could cause a bad ripple effect on the hardware, especially if the wall power isnt especially good, I would return if you can and replace. with better,

I did try replacing it with the one in my friend's build, he has an evga power supply, not sure exactly which one, with the same result.

1 minute ago, BunnMan said:

I did try replacing it with the one in my friend's build, he has an evga power supply, not sure exactly which one, with the same result.

hmmmmmmm tried at different place? different wall plug? or house/building?

Just now, thx1138 said:

hmmmmmmm tried at different place? different wall plug? or house/building?

tried a different plug, didn't really try a different house.

4 minutes ago, BunnMan said:

tried a different plug, didn't really try a different house.

I am sorry, everything seems to point to a power delivery failure, its possible the psu damaged the mobo with its terrible ripple. 

I would still replace that PSU even if you get it working. I just dont know what else to tell you.

I am sorry, everything seems to point to a power delivery failure, its possible the psu damaged the mobo with its terrible ripple. 

I would still replace that PSU even if you get it working. I just dont know what else to tell you.

Thanks for the help anyways, I'll try to get it to work with fiddling with drivers for now, if I can't get it to work, I might just take it to a repair shop and see if they might figure out what's the cause of it.

I don't currently have the money to buy a new PSU, since I just bought the new system, but i'll deffinetly put that into consideration.
Again, thanks for the help.

4 minutes ago, BunnMan said:

Thanks for the help anyways, I'll try to get it to work with fiddling with drivers for now, if I can't get it to work, I might just take it to a repair shop and see if they might figure out what's the cause of it.

I don't currently have the money to buy a new PSU, since I just bought the new system, but i'll deffinetly put that into consideration.
Again, thanks for the help.

if you just built it, most places have return windows.

Ask again on the forums here at other times of the day and maybe also get more people that can help, LTT is quite international.

1 hour ago, thx1138 said:

A little update. Haven't tried playing anything yet, but so far it seems that it's working better, since before even when watching youtube videos it would lag when going in and out of fulscreen. downloading some games to test my theory, but it seems like i had faulty drivers from "ASUS QI".

EDIT:
PC still keeps freezing, after the reinstalation of windows and only installing the critical drivers