Linux and Alienware laptops...

Good morning and... Merry Christmas!

I would like start and keep it where and if possible as reference topic that stick for those with an Alienware laptop and mood/love of Linux.

My favorite distro is the Peppermind but I moved the PopOS recently as natively supporting the nVidia drivers since the first boot. I like also the Manjaro but really... under Arch despite it is for me the best overall, I had a lot of issues with my Alien.

On the table... to get a powerful machine at work under Linux I would like ask your opinion about a few of points:

• AlienFX... there is anyway to make it at work?
  • OLED brightness... I manage it via terminal by changing the gamma... there is a better way to handle it?

About the nVidia support is already great but did you suggest a different approach?

Cheers,

For AlienFX you could try this: https://github.com/trackmastersteve/alienfx

As for brightness, it should work out the box, changing the gamma shouldn't be the way you increase the brightness, if the desktop tool + fn keys are not working

As for graphics card support, I don't know the specific case, but for optimus laptops the nvidia-prime way on Ubuntu based distro is preferred, also on Ubuntu you can install the drivers later, if you can't boot because nouveau sucks, you should boot with nomodeset and install the nvidia drivers from there

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Category:Alienware

For better knowledge about the compatibility of Alienwares you can check this list, they should apply on other distros too