PC was fine, drove it home, then my SSDs didn't exist anymore

Hoely Phuck
Go to solution Solved by GTinsider,

That whine definitely sounds like the issue is the Power Supply. I hope that It hasn't decided to send stray voltage into your SSD's, as it sounds like All of your SSDs are on the same rail. That would suck If you don't have a backup of your Operating System. 

As the title suggests, my PC was totally fine last night when I packed it up to bring it back home from my dorm. I packed it back in the case's original box (the same way I do always) and put it in my back seat with my backpack sitting in front of it to keep it from moving too much. I do remember it hitting the back of my chair at least once on the way back, but I've taken the system with me on a flight before (though without the GPU or any mechanical drives in it) and it had problems booting right back up, so I find it difficult to believe that it hitting the back of my seat in a car would do something like this. 

I set it up the morning and it booted to the BIOS, so I rebooted a couple times, moved some cables around to see if a SATA port on my mobo was dead, to no avail. 

So far, I've tried:

• Turning it off and back on again (several million times now)
  • Changing cables around on my mobo
  • Resetting my BIOS
  • Booting with only 1 stick of RAM in
  • swapped that stick with the other stick of RAM
  • took out the GPU and booted straight from my mobo
  • Pulled the battery out of the mobo and put it back in

As far as I can tell, my 3 mechanical drives have no problems, the issue exists solely between my motherboard and solid state drives. I have, however, seen one of my SSDs show up as a "SandForce" drive (which I understand to be a controller for at least one of my SSDs), and showed its storage as 0MB. It has not returned since I first sighted it. 

Here is a link to my full PCPartPicker list, but I'll list the important stuff here as well anyway (Everything is now at stock settings since I reset my BIOS):

i7 6700k

GTX 1070 (Asus STRIX)

Z270-F STRIX (Also Asus)

2x8 kit of Vengence LED in the 3200MHz fashion

Kingston SSDNow V300 120Gb SSD

2x Crucial BX300 240Gb SSD

1TB WD Black

4TB WD Blue

640Gb WD Blue from a long long time ago in a galaxy far away

Current BIOS version is the one that came with the mobo (0604 x64) from 12/08/2016

I've had no problems with the BIOS up until now so I'd like to think that updating my BIOS is not something I need to do (But if I have to, I will *sigh* but it'll be the last thing I do)

pls sned halp

EDIT: UPDATE (17 Minutes later): IVE BOOTEED INTO MY OS WHICH MEANS ONE OF MY SSDs HAVE BEEN DETECTED AND I BOOTED FROM IT BUT MY OTHER 2 CRUCIAL SSDs STILL ARENT SHOWING UP

EDIT 2 :UPDATE AGAIN: SSd machine broke again. cant boot into OS e.e

EDIT 3: UPDATE AGAIN AGAIN: My fans stay on after I shut the system off. I just noticed since i havent kept the system off long enough to realize that the fans werent stopping

Ok, I've gone through updating the BIOS and resetting the CMOS again. One of my 2 BX300s has shown up now (No idea which one), but two are still missing (dubbed P1 and P4 on the BIOS). 2 drives are still missing. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with them being SSDs anymore.

I've included some pictures of my BIOS (the areas that I think prolly matter)  in case they help or my settings are seriously flawed or anything. 

20181222_203433[1].jpg

20181222_203521[1].jpg

1868575817_20181222_2059371.thumb.jpg.c511b15798322264d1cc6d8beb049c73.jpg

Also, my fans still spin after shutting the system down until I turn off the power supply. Not at the same pace as their normal speed, but still spinning nonetheless. 

They are plugged directly into the PSU via a fan hub and a molex connector, but I've never seen the fans stay on for more than a few seconds after shutting my system down in the past. 

Edited by Hoely Phuck
adding info

I'm back to none of the SSDs working.

more BIOS stuff

All 6 Sata settings are the same as the first one (Enabled, Hot plug disabled)

20181222_211853[1].jpg

Ive now been limited to 1 of my 3 working drives to function as a boot drive (the other 2 still appear to be working and detected, just not able to be selected as a boot drive).

I have negative zero clue what the problem is anymore 

Do you have another computer that you can put the SSD's in and test to see if they are recognized there? Have you attempted trying different SATA ports on your motherboard? Another thing to try is Re-Seating your CPU, as there are pins that can get shifted around due to vibration, and that can be causing the fans not to spin down also (I actually experienced that one when I was moving an entire rack of servers, and one of the CPUS shifted and i lost some drives from my raid array.) Another thing to try is taking the CMOS battery out, Disconnecting the power from the wall, and holding the power button for 30 seconds and plugging them back in. If you have an external HDD enclosure, You can try putting one of the SSD's in there to see if it works. Also, Try a different power supply. Good Luck!

I do have another system I could test with (my NAS system), but I left it at my dorm since it weighs a ton and I live on the third floor of my dorm :( I have friends I can bug if I really need to as well tho.

I have tried CMOS reset and shuffling around the ports that the drives are plugged into on my mobo.

I will go through with reseating my CPU right now, thanks for that. Never even considered that the CPU could move even under all the pressure that's being put on it. 

Alright, I've reseated my CPU and am still having the same problem. 

I don't have another system I can play around with atm, so I'm basically left to get my friend to let me fuck around with their system as well it seems. 

Currently, 2/3 drives that are detected are able to be selected as boot drives

One more SSD has been detected but it's been on and off this whole time. (It disappeared again after I rebooted for the billionth time)

At the moment I think it's more than likely the power supply has reached the end of its life. The fan on the PSU turns on as soon as I flip the switch on the back - which I don't think is meant to happen. 

There's also a slight whine that I've noticed when the PSU is on but the system itself is not (I can't tell where the whining is coming from specifically). The whining stops as soon as I hit the power button. It's a G750M from Cooler Master, rated at 80+ Bronze, which I've had since I built my second PC at the end of 9th grade (around 4-5 years ago now). 

I'm not totally convinced the PSU is the problem but I'm having a hard time coming up with any other explanations at this point. 

Sitrep:

• 3/6 drives are detected by my system (all 3 undetected are SSDs, no idea if that has any play in it)
    • Unable to boot into OS as one of the 3 SSDs is my boot drive
    • One of the 3 sometimes appears in the BIOS
  • PSU fan turns on as soon as the switch is on, without booting the system
  • Whine from somewhere in the system until I press the power button, then the whine goes away even if I turn the system off again. It doesn't sound like coil whine but it definitely isn't normal. 
  • Case fans also continue to spin after turning off the system (at a slower pace, but still definitely spinning) until I switch the PSU off
    • CPU Fans stop spinning normally
  • BIOS has been reflashed an updated, and CMOS has been reset multiple times. 

Also @GTinsider Thanks for the help!

What a way to kick off my winter break *sigh*

Edited by Hoely Phuck
stuff

That whine definitely sounds like the issue is the Power Supply. I hope that It hasn't decided to send stray voltage into your SSD's, as it sounds like All of your SSDs are on the same rail. That would suck If you don't have a backup of your Operating System. 

I'm not too worried about my SSDs dying (outside of the financial loss), one of them was just the OS and some programs and the rest mainly store games. Most of the valuable stuff is on my hard drives, and the stuff I really care about has backups on my NAS as well. 

I'm no expert with electrical engineery things but I have two separate SATA power cable chains coming from my power supply. The two BX300s are on their own cable, but the 120gb is on the same chain as my other 3 hard drives, so I'd like to think that they have separate "rails"

But if they're all on the same rail then ggggggggggggggggggggggggg

As for now, I'll keep my system off & unplugged until I get my friends PSU hooked up (I have plans to go to his house tomorrow)

Again, thanks for all the help. 

After a couple hours of work and some bad Asian food, I've confirmed that the problem was, in fact, the power supply (my friend cracked it open to find dead capacitors), and have replaced the power supply with another 750W power supply from Thermaltake. It's rated for 10 years and 80+ Gold efficiency. It is, also, RGB, but I won't be able to see it in all its GRB glory underneath the psu shroud in my case.

Also glad to confirm that all my drives still exist and seem to be functioning normally again. 

Thanks again, @GTinsider .