Photo/Negative Scanner??

I need a decent photo and negative scanner with good resolution and features. I have a lot of old photos I need to scan and digitize. My budget is around 300$ but maybe a bit more. Also does anyone recommend a software to edit the photos later that is either free or pay once type??

• 2 weeks later...

I would recommend a mail-in photo scanning service. The best one I would recommend is scanmyphotos.com. How it works is that you send in the photos or negatives and they send back a dvd with the photos on them (unless you pay and extra $20 for them to upload them so you can download them). For photos they have options of a $145 prepaid box where you fit as many photos as possible in a box and they scan them all for $145. Another option for photos is their pay-per-scan service where you pay a 16 cents per photo scan. For negatives you can have them scan negatives for 47 cents per frame. I didn't include all the information about the service so I advise you to check out their website here: https://www.scanmyphotos.com/ If you have any questions or comments let me know! Hope this helps, Aaron

10 hours ago, AaronsDev said:

I would recommend a mail-in photo scanning service. The best one I would recommend is scanmyphotos.com. How it works is that you send in the photos or negatives and they send back a dvd with the photos on them (unless you pay and extra $20 for them to upload them so you can download them). For photos they have options of a $145 prepaid box where you fit as many photos as possible in a box and they scan them all for $145. Another option for photos is their pay-per-scan service where you pay a 16 cents per photo scan. For negatives you can have them scan negatives for 47 cents per frame. I didn't include all the information about the service so I advise you to check out their website here: https://www.scanmyphotos.com/ If you have any questions or comments let me know! Hope this helps, Aaron

Thanks a lot. I will have to see if they are available in India though.

9 hours ago, Tarun10 said:

Thanks a lot. I will have to see if they are available in India though.

Yeah I didn't know you were India. I'm not sure if they can do it from there or not. I wish you the best of luck though!

13 hours ago, MrZone said:

This image was scanned with an epson V850 at 6400dpi

Image is taken with a Pentax 67 and cropped. Film is Portra or Fuji Pro, ISO 160 or 400. Not sure.

As you can see, the quality of flatbeds are quite good. The next step would be a full drumscan.

http://backup.kjeks.io/Screenshots/Image005edit.jpg

Image005edit.jpg

Most of these photos were taken by my dad with a Minolta and I have both the negatives and prints. I have no idea what the film is. I think 4800 dpi should be enough resolution.

I considered the V850 but its almost 1600$ in India and I can't afford that for a small set of family photos.  Not many photo scanning services in India. Also I think it will be tough to find a buyer for something so expensive if I want to resell it to make back some money.

Thanks for the info, I will find something cheaper here now that I know quality is pretty good.