Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Should I do this?

XR6

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of building a PC when I have the money, but for now I've come up with a temporary solution to get my PC gaming fix.

Since my 2012 iMac has an i7 (3770 I think), would it be a good option to buy an external GPU housing and a GPU (preferably 980 Ti or 1070 FE) and then save up for a system?

I'll be re-using the GPU from the external GPU thing if I do go through with this.

1 minute ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Unless that iMac has a Thunderbolt 3 port, it's not going to work.

There's Thunderbolt 3 ports on the back but afaik 2012 models don't have Thunderbolt 3 ports.

I think the recycling center must've got the year wrong..

3 minutes ago, 1kv said:

There's Thunderbolt 3 ports on the back but afaik 2012 models don't have Thunderbolt 3 ports.

I think the recycling center must've got the year wrong..

The iMac support page shows it has Thunderbolt ports. Are the Thunderbolt ports USB-C?

1 minute ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

The iMac support page shows it has Thunderbolt ports. Are the Thunderbolt ports USB-C?

No, they're not. But if I get some sort of adapter, it should work right?

22 minutes ago, 1kv said:

No, they're not. But if I get some sort of adapter, it should work right?

Looks like you would need to run a script so that the eGPU can even connect through Thunderbolt 1.

Use at your own risk.

Script here: https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/script-enable-egpu-on-tb1-2-macs-on-macos-10-13-4/

6 hours ago, 1kv said:

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of building a PC when I have the money, but for now I've come up with a temporary solution to get my PC gaming fix.

Since my 2012 iMac has an i7 (3770 I think), would it be a good option to buy an external GPU housing and a GPU (preferably 980 Ti or 1070 FE) and then save up for a system?

I'll be re-using the GPU from the external GPU thing if I do go through with this.

Considering how much an enclosure would cost, combined with macOS's game support, I would save for a new computer.   

"Make sense? Oh, what fun is there in making sense?"
-Discord

8 hours ago, xKyric said:

Considering how much an enclosure would cost, combined with macOS's game support, I would save for a new computer.   

I'm currently saving for a completely new build as the time couldn't be better to do it (with my budget expanding by a bit over now and next month). 

Although I've just realised some problems with my idea:

1. Bootcamp probably doesn't support thunderbolt connections via Windows

2. The software that @Dissitesuxba11s linked me only works on macOS (which I can't use atm because of macOS Mojave not detecting my mouse, plus I physically can't use the included magic mouse)

3. It's probably cheaper to just upgrade the PSU and GPU of my old system (i5-4460 with b85 board) so I don't have to spend GPU + PSU money on my next build, instead I can just reuse them from this system (if that makes sense, I feel like I phrased that terribly)