High refresh rates giving problems?

Just got a new Samsung CJG5 27" QHD 144Hz Monitor and seem to having a weird issue.

In games, when set at 1440p @144Hz = Stutters and frame freezes every couple seconds
when set at 1080p @144Hz= Fine
when set at 1440p@60Hz = Fine

Also tested several games and benchmarks, so it's not a program specific issue.

I've been tearing my hair out trying to solve this but haven't been able to. Even done a clean windows install to no avail. Any ideas?

System specs in summary : FX8320@4.4Ghz, MSI R9 290 4GB @Stock clock, Corsair 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz, 850W EVGA B2 PSU, Asus M5a99fx pro r2.0.  Connected via displayport with a cable that is 144hz qhd compatible. 

Thanks a lot!

To me, it sounds like it could be the cable.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

15 minutes ago, mxk. said:

To me, it sounds like it could be the cable.

Hmm, strange because I read that with DP and HDMI cables, they either work or they don't - i.e I am seeing 144hz 1440p on graphics options.

The cable I'm using is here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005H3Q59U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 minute ago, tambeshakunt said:

Hmm, strange because I read that with DP and HDMI cables, they either work or they don't - i.e I am seeing 144hz 1440p on graphics options.

The cable I'm using is here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005H3Q59U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I meant the cable might be a dud, or you understood that already? You have to have a specific type of HDMI for 144hz+1440p, and the monitor and cable have to be that HDMI type.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

1 minute ago, mxk. said:

I meant the cable might be a dud, or you understood that already? You have to have a specific type of HDMI for 144hz+1440p, and the monitor and cable have to be that HDMI type.

I see what you're saying now. Yeah The monitor needs either HDMI 2.0 (which my r9 290 doesn't have) or DisplayPort and hence I am using Display port. 

2 hours ago, Glenwing said:

How does it behave at 120 or 100 Hz?

I am still to conduct some more testing to check this and was planning to do it in the next couple of days - if is it is a gradual increase (i.e gets worse as the refresh rate increases) what do you reckon? Could it be pinned down to the monitor having no freesync technology?

Thanks a lot!