storage server build

vib_whore

hello everyone, so i wanted to build a storage server for my office. i'm a total rookie so i dont know shit. however, i did some research and kind of have an idea but i still some help. should i use an old pc tower to build a sever or buy a NAS? if i use an old pc tower to build a server, how do i make it as a cloud storage server? im going to be using atleast 7-8 1tb drives so i how do i format them all in RAID 5? Also, is windows server os better or os X? i have alot of questions so any suggestions are welcome! 

-Moved to Servers and NAS-

I wouldn't use Windows or OSX for a server, I'd instead use FreeNAS or some Linux distribution.

Using a PC tower would work, but expanding down the road will be harder than if you hunted down an actual server box that has 10 or so HDD bays.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

@Crunchy Dragon why would you use windows or os X for server? just curious. my main use is going to backing up emails and exel spreadsheets. 

5 minutes ago, vib_whore said:

@Crunchy Dragon why would you use windows or os X for server? just curious. my main use is going to backing up emails and exel spreadsheets. 

Windows likes to update on its own, and OSX is basically impossible to get a legitimate copy of.

Linux is free and easy, FreeNAS is basically the best storage server OS there is.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!