Case fan setup

Sydlexic Deity

Hi

I have a fractal design define xl r2

It comes with 3 140mm fans.

I have put 2 at the front for intake, one at the rear for exhaust. Would it be a good idea to take a spare 120mm as bottom intake?

I am air cooling a 8700k and 1070

Thanks for your advice

11 minutes ago, Sydlexic Deity said:

Hi

I have a fractal design define xl r2

It comes with 3 140mm fans.

I have put 2 at the front for intake, one at the rear for exhaust. Would it be a good idea to take a spare 120mm as bottom intake?

I am air cooling a 8700k and 1070

Thanks for your advice

When I did research for my case, I found the fan on the top of the case at the very back made more of a difference for CPU (AND GPU) temps than the bottom intake fan did. 

EDIT: The top backmost fan had a 2-3 degree C difference in CPU temp when going from 0% to 100%. The bottom intake fan only had a 0.5 degree difference.

EDIT2: Under AIDA 64 cpu load + memory + cache + whatever the 4th one that's usually on is. 

EDIT3: So if I were you I'd put the extra fan up top as an exhaust. 

7 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

When I did research for my case, I found the fan on the top of the case at the very back made more of a difference for CPU (AND GPU) temps than the bottom intake fan did. 

EDIT: The top backmost fan had a 2-3 degree C difference in CPU temp when going from 0% to 100%. The bottom intake fan only had a 0.5 degree difference.

EDIT2: Under AIDA 64 cpu load + memory + cache + whatever the 4th one that's usually on is. 

EDIT3: So if I were you I'd put the extra fan up top as an exhaust. 

Cheers I'll give that a go

1 minute ago, Sydlexic Deity said:

Cheers I'll give that a go

Unfortunately if you put the case on the floor, the top fans are usually the ones you hear the loudest, so if your extra fan is slightly lower quality, you may hear it more than a fan on the bottom. 

As long as any intake fans have a dust filter in front of them and your case pressure is positive it's fine. Hold tissue over the grills and unused slots to check it.

What temps are you getting and what cooler CPU is using? Bottom intake fan would help if you are suffering from high GPU temps. But I don't think buying fan just for that is worth it. If you have extra fan laying around, sure.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv