Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Should I upgrade?

S0nny58

I have a system

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-3930K 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor  
CPU Cooler Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $26.92 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus - Rampage IV Formula ATX LGA2011 Motherboard  
Video Card XFX - Radeon RX 480 8 GB GTR Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  
Video Card XFX - Radeon RX 480 8 GB GTR Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  
Other EVGA AX1200  
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $26.92
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-09 05:58 EST-0500  

there is the list. My question is is my processor good to upgrade to a 1080ti?

I plan on a gpu upgrade, more RAM, and a cooler upgrade(case too lol i jammed all this in a dell case I had lying around)

but will I experience bottle necks with my 3930k?

You can't find 1080ti's for a reasonable price unless you buy used, and you are unlikely to experience a bottleneck if you play at 1440p or 4k. However, your system seems perfectly fine and it seems like you just want to upgrade rather than need to upgrade, so whatever you choose to go with is completely arbitrary and up to you. If all you're doing is gaming, there's no point in upgrading, at least in my opinion, but it's your money and your choice so you get to decide.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8Ghz w/ Arctic Freezer 33 Tower Cooler | MSI B450 Tomahawk |  32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200MHz CAS 14 

Sapphire RX 5700XT Pulse | EVGA 650w GQ 80+ Gold Semi-Modular  |  XPG SX6000 512GB Nvme SSD | NZXT H500

Acer XF270HU - 1440p 144Hz Freeesync IPS | Corsair Strafe - Cherry MX Red  |  Logitech G502

5 minutes ago, leo1798 said:

You can't find 1080ti's for a reasonable price unless you buy used, and you are unlikely to experience a bottleneck if you play at 1440p or 4k. However, your system seems perfectly fine and it seems like you just want to upgrade rather than need to upgrade, so whatever you choose to go with is completely arbitrary and up to you. If all you're doing is gaming, there's no point in upgrading, at least in my opinion, but it's your money and your choice so you get to decide.

It's mainly that I wanna get away from crossfire, it's kinda clunky. I got the second 480 for free and just slapped it in one day. I thought about going with RTX but, I found a 1080ti for 550, second hand and the guy showed me that it worked. that is the only reason why I am more eager to get away from crossfire. and when it comes to what I do with it, I do a lot of 3D animation, video, photo work, and I have been dabbling in linux development work. 

1 minute ago, S0nny58 said:

It's mainly that I wanna get away from crossfire, it's kinda clunky. I got the second 480 for free and just slapped it in one day. I thought about going with RTX but, I found a 1080ti for 550, second hand and the guy showed me that it worked. that is the only reason why I am more eager to get away from crossfire.

Oh absolutely, if you can get it for that price go ahead and pull the trigger, and then sell off your 480's, they should make you back around $100 each. Your CPU won't hold you back if you're gaming at higher resolutions, especially when overclocked. And I'd recommend keeping the same cooler, it's only worth upgrading such if you've maxed out your CPU upgrade path, which you haven't as there are several newer generations of processors to consider first. But again, it won't hold you back for gaming.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8Ghz w/ Arctic Freezer 33 Tower Cooler | MSI B450 Tomahawk |  32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200MHz CAS 14 

Sapphire RX 5700XT Pulse | EVGA 650w GQ 80+ Gold Semi-Modular  |  XPG SX6000 512GB Nvme SSD | NZXT H500

Acer XF270HU - 1440p 144Hz Freeesync IPS | Corsair Strafe - Cherry MX Red  |  Logitech G502

Just now, leo1798 said:

Oh absolutely, if you can get it for that price go ahead and pull the trigger, and then sell off your 480's, they should make you back around $100 each. Your CPU won't hold you back if you're gaming at higher resolutions, especially when overclocked. And I'd recommend keeping the same cooler, it's only worth upgrading such if you've maxed out your CPU upgrade path, which you haven't as there are several newer generations of processors to consider first. But again, it won't hold you back for gaming.

I edited my old reply to you. showing my use case of my pc

25 minutes ago, S0nny58 said:

I edited my old reply to you. showing my use case of my pc

Sell one of the 480s and keep the other one around for an HTPC or something

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Sell the 480's. I made back 150 euro on my 480 that I bought a year ago. You can easily get around 250$ on both of them. 

There's nothing much to upgrade there.
CPU is decent, GPU is decent. No mention of quantity of RAM, but if you have 16GB, you're fine. No mention of storage either, if you have a SSD it's fine as well.

Is this upgrading just for the sake of upgrading because you saw a "cheap" 1080ti on the used market or did you run in an actual need for an upgrade because there's something you couldn't do?

In any case, the CPU wouldn't really bottleneck a 1080ti, if that's what you truly want.

But IMO, it's a waste of money and if you're that tired of crossfire, just sell one of the cards, the 480 is decent by itself still. Not the best, but should be enough for your use case.
Over the next few months, AMD will be releasing their new GPUs as well, for what will likely be much cheaper than even that used 1080ti, which could help drive prices down a bit on the used market, so if you're willing to wait a bit longer, you'd get a much better deal.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB with Noctua Fans / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 11 Pro

18 hours ago, TetraSky said:

There's nothing much to upgrade there.
CPU is decent, GPU is decent. No mention of quantity of RAM, but if you have 16GB, you're fine. No mention of storage either, if you have a SSD it's fine as well.

Is this upgrading just for the sake of upgrading because you saw a "cheap" 1080ti on the used market or did you run in an actual need for an upgrade because there's something you couldn't do?

In any case, the CPU wouldn't really bottleneck a 1080ti, if that's what you truly want.

But IMO, it's a waste of money and if you're that tired of crossfire, just sell one of the cards, the 480 is decent by itself still. Not the best, but should be enough for your use case.
Over the next few months, AMD will be releasing their new GPUs as well, for what will likely be much cheaper than even that used 1080ti, which could help drive prices down a bit on the used market, so if you're willing to wait a bit longer, you'd get a much better deal.

SO, I have 8gb of Ram, and I have been doing local animated ads for businesses, I am using blender because its all I know. but yeah it gets crazy. and render times can be kinda inconsistent, so I thought a 1080ti would help with the 3d rendering aspect.